1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sports Buzz ....JT on the new Dolphin defense

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by CrunchTime, Jul 13, 2012.

1. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007

dolfan7171, DHPVW, ssmiami and 2 others like this.
  2. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I think you can be critical of Mike Nolan not doing a good job of dropping Wake into coverage, but not of the fact that Wake was asked to.

I'm surprised Taylor of all people is critical. He was good at it, and he was a part of a defense(Saban's) that really used the concept of an elite pass rusher dropping into coverage well. If you do it well, it's awesome.

3. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Dpate, last year you said on different occasions that you we're growing a bit skeptical on Nolan's ability to matchup schematically with some good coaches... I believe we saw that come to fruition, consistently during his tenure not being able to close out big games.especially against Belicek.

I know for me I stated my frustration on why Wake was dropping so much, and why our corners were playing so much zone..

4. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    "Vontae is a special athlete"

Sure as hell is.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  5. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Yeah, I don't think Nolan was that good a DC(here at least). I also think Paul Pasqualoni got a raw deal.

As for Wake... I don't think he was asked to do it too often. Per PFF, he had the lowest % of coverage snaps in 2010 and 2nd lowest(by .1%) in 2011 of starting 3-4 OLBs. I don't think that 10-12% of snaps he was dropping into coverage lost a lot of pass rushing productivity, either.

If it's done well, it helps rather than hurts your ability to rush a passer. The last two years James Harrison has been rushing the passer like 60% of the time on passing downs, for example.

ToddPhin and djphinfan like this.
  6. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    I'm with you %100.

Part of dropping Wake into coverage had to do with a) giving him a rest and b) blitzing/zone blitzing from the off side vs protections geared towards Wake

Wake is one of the best conditioned athletes in the entire league IMO but there were times when even he was gassed and rather than take him out of the game it seems Nolan preferred to drop him into quiet coverage zones. It allows Wake to get a blow without sacrificing the threat he provides as a pass rusher.

Either way, I look forward to seeing what Odrick, Soliai and Starks can do with the interior rush. We'll be fine with edge rushing but if the QB has a clean pocket to step into then it doesn't matter all that much.

ToddPhin likes this.
  7. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    what's up Gm.I think the tandem of Odrick and Starks on the inside with our rook and wake on the outside for passing downs is a nice fit..Starks and Odrick are 300 pounders who can rush the passer and have the hands to get position in those tight quarters, we should be good on the interior in terms of pressure..If our rookie is the real deal, we might have something real good for a couple years in terms of a four man pressure line..

I mean it's not what the giants do by sending four pass rushers across the board, but it's the next best thing.

8. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    There is an interesting article on Paul Solai in the Herald too which is complementary to this blurb.
    Matured Paul Soliai plays key role in Miami Dolphins’ defense

ToddPhin and Sceeto like this.