1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sports Buzz-Dolphins TE Fasano has opportunity to show he's the answer

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by CrunchTime, Aug 4, 2010.

1. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    His receiving yards fell from 454 to 339 -- and his touchdowns from seven to two -- largely because the Dolphins used him as a blocker on 139 passing plays in 2009. But Fasano expects that to change somewhat.
    ``They're trying to utilize me a little differently,'' Fasano said. ``I will have some more opportunities moving around and stretching the field. I don't think my forte is pass blocking but that's what we needed last year. Hopefully, if things go well, we won't need as much of that. I can be a top-tier tight end. But I need to improve, do a better job of stretching the field at times.''

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/08/04/1759934/fasano-has-opportunity-to-show.html#ixzz0vdsC3Rbv

Every year we talk about upgrading the TE position but we dont seem to make much of an effort to do so.

We could conclude that the TE position is not that important in a Henning offense .Or that they are primarily used as additional blocking .

I hope things will be different this year.Our OL looks to be more solid and Brandon Marshall will stretch the field and create open spaces for the other WRs and TEs.

HULKFish and finyank13 like this.
  2. CrunchTime

Nov 23, 2007
    Other tidbits
    • Tony Sparano said that the way Crowder is used will change some because of Karlos Dansby's addition; Crowder (2.5 career sacks) said he rushed the passer only 10 to 15 percent of the time last year, but is thrilled he's going to rush more ``and try to mess things up'' for offenses. New defensive coordinator Mike Nolan reportedly had an inside linebacker rush the passer 33 percent of the time in Denver in 2009.
    • Sparano said he's ``anxious to see'' Kory Sheets on special teams but he needs to improve his blocking as a running back. His speed and burst have impressed everyone, but his roster chances might hinge on winning the kickoff return job. ``I feel I'm the most explosive guy on the field,'' he said.

3. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    I would love to see big things for him this year, I believe the middle will be open more to this year with 2 people accounting for maeshall at all times, and as well expanding the playbook as hopefully not to run as much as they were last year...

4. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    a receiving TE is a necessary element to a successful passing game

5. HULKFish

HULKFish Artist and Scribe

Apr 30, 2008
    Central FL
    I think he's going to surprise some people this year... I've always thought he was good, even before the Dolphins traded for him. His mentor Witten is very similar in his skillset and hasn't done bad for himself!

6. siciliansith

siciliansith Resident Deviant

Nov 25, 2007
    Rochester NY
    Last time I really freaked out over a TE was Keith Jackson and he couldnt block a whore looking for crack on sat. night

He could go over the middle if I remember!

7. CrunchTime

Nov 23, 2007
    On the role of the TE’s in the offense after acquisition of Brandon Marshall) – “I think it stays the same as last year. With Brandon (Marshall) I just think the opportunities with Brandon are going to be a little bit better. I think when you have a player like this all of a sudden the middle of the field becomes a little bit more intriguing I think and that’s an area that the tight end usually can work in. But I think that there job description won’t change a whole lot. I think it depends more, Brandon (Marshall) aside, it depends more on the combination tight ends that we have on this team when it’s all said and done. So, in other words, if you have some people that can do similar jobs, then you might be able to get (Anthony) Fasano involved a little bit differently, somebody else involved a little bit differently so we’ll see."

8. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    This has to be age/injury related, because Martin was big for us in 2008. That is the guy that stretches the field and made our 2-TE sets so good. He was as big a loss as any last season.

Kory Sperry is probably our best hope to fill that role right now.