1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sports Buzz: Dolphins excited by possibilities of using Pat White in the Wildcat

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by CrunchTime, May 13, 2009.

1. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    Its not only the fans who are excited by the Pat White pick but the players are too .

There is more .Reading the whole article is suggested :yes:

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/columnists/barry-jackson/story/1045271.html

2. Dorfdad

Dorfdad Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2007
    I really feel PAT can open up the offense in ways Pennington couldn't either. I mean Pat could line up as a wideout and depending on the coverage either cath and run or catch and drop back fire deep (behind the line)

Also he could be the QB and run, pass, or pitch to others.

ascii and CrunchTime like this.
  3. Onehondo

Onehondo Senior Member Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    The one special skill that Pat White adds to the Wildcat is that not only can he pass from the Wildcat and with accuracy but he adds another ellusive runner to the equation that Pennington or even Henne couldn't. Opposing defenses won't be able to key on any one aspect of the Wildcat if they read the formation. He will add speed to the quarterback position that I don't think the Dolphins have ever had.

4. ascii

ascii People Watcher

Nov 27, 2007
    Etters, Pa
    I agree, options are limitless, ASSUMING Pat can make the transition from college to NFL.

As for the bold, OUCH!

5. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    One thing about both P White and Chad Henne...they both have played in important, cold weather games, snow and wind chill are nothing new to them as they've had success in that situation.

6. Larry Little

Larry Little Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    IMHO, for White to be effective in the wildcat, he's going to have to line up in the base offense at WR, HB, or even RB. Its a no-brainer to me that if White's role is limited to just QB... especially QB in the Wildcat... opposing teams will know what's coming whenever he hits the field, and will be able to swap out personnel and make adjustments custom-suited to defend against that package.

A major reason the Wildcat was so effective at times was that teams had to defend it with their base defensive packages, because Brown and Pennington were effective no matter where they lined up.

It gives us a clear advantage when teams aren't able to adjust what they are doing until after we come out of the huddle.

White needs to see time in the base offense, with Pennington at QB.

larfo2224 and CrunchTime like this.