1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sparano refused to name #2 or #4 QB's

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by cobrajet, Mar 24, 2010.

1. cobrajet

cobrajet Mr. Ross - sell the team!

Jan 12, 2010
    -- Dolphins No. 2 QB Competition --
    http://www.ffmastermind.com/quickbits.php#193578

"The Miami Herald reports Dolphins HC Tony Sparano yesterday declined to say whom his No. 2 quarterback and No. 4 quarterback are as the team is projecting a depth chart before training camp. That raises red flags."

:no:

cobrajet likes this.
  2. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    soooooo whys that raise red flags?

3. bigbry

bigbry Huge Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Colorado
    "The Miami Herald reports Dolphins HC Tony Sparano yesterday declined to say whom his No. 2 quarterback and No. 4 quarterback are as the team is projecting a depth chart before training camp. That raises red flags."

He already said so

4. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    probably just means he's not going to make that decision in march, before the competition has even taken place.

miamiron likes this.
  5. cobrajet

Jan 12, 2010
    I think the red flag comes in when he puts Thigpen (who has been there only a few weeks) ahead of Pat White who was drafted, coached, and refined through training camp. It looks like "Johnny come Lately" is gonna beat out our 2nd round pick.

6. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

White needs to show something this offseason. The word 'bust' is already on Sparano's mind...and that can't be a good thing for him. That said, they want him to do real good, because he's not trad-able, whereas if he does show some good things between now and camp, Thigpen probably is trad-able.

cobrajet likes this.
  7. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    I don't care how much coaching, refinement, etc. Pat White has been through. He's not a better QB than Tyler Thigpen.

Tin Indian and DolfanJake like this.
  8. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    And its not even close.
    Thigpen has already shown success playing QB at the NFL level. I honestly don't think Pat White ever will.

MonstBlitz, DolfanJake and cobrajet like this.
  9. JimToss

JimToss Thank You Chad Pennington

Oct 11, 2009
    Delaware
    Like the old saying goes.
    You can pick your friends. You can pick your nose.
    But you can't pick Pat White over Tyler Thigpen.

jetssuck, MonstBlitz and BuckeyeKing like this.
  10. SeanP

SeanP Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Deltona FL
    Where's the red flag? I don't get it?

They weren't calling a red flag when we didn't name Henne the starter...

Slow news day much?

11. cobrajet

Jan 12, 2010
    I really don't care if you uncork White's head and put it on Thigpen's body as long as we win. There are even some fans out there who think that Thigpen could start next year! Now there's a cute little wrinkle. Training camp will be mighty interesting that's for sure.

I personally don't care if Nancy Pelosi is the QB as long as we get back to the Superbowl where we belong.

12. Coral Reefer

Coral Reefer Premium Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    I can't help but revisit all the talk last offseason about how the Wildcat was going to revolutionize the NFL. MANY teams would be using the package as much or more than we did in 2008 and how by this year Pat White would more than likely be our starting QB running the Wildcat more than 50% of our plays.

LOL.

So much for that........ thankfully so!

13. PHINANALYST

PHINANALYST Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2008
    North Carolina
    if he did, then either CP would want out -- or Thigpen would demand a trade .... don't need either of that right now ...... you want all 3 (to include PW) to get ready.

14. 2k5

2k5 I miss Ted Ginn Jr.

Nov 28, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    I love people's patience. It's been one year, and it's not like White looked completely terrible. Sure, Thigpen looked better, but White is a project player, we didn't draft him to have immediate success.

Two Tacos likes this.
  15. SeanP

SeanP Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Deltona FL
    I've got to disagree with you there... Aside from having grapefruits the size of king kong, he didn't show us anything as a QB. I don't think he completed a single pass in his 7? attempts?

He could run with the ball reasonably well, I think he averaged 4.5 or so ypc?

But as a QB, he looked terrible. I'm not writing him off yet, because he clearly wants it. And maybe it was just rookie jitters, who knows. But to say that he wasn't terrible last year is kind of sugar coating it. He didn't do anything positive as a Quarterback, and made a much better WC Running Back than a QB.

But I do agree with you that he's a project player. I didn't expect much from him last year, but this year he needs to show some sort of worth to the team as a QB, or change positions and focus on something other than throwing the ball.

16. 2k5

2k5 I miss Ted Ginn Jr.

Nov 28, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    Sorry, I'm just not going to say he's a bust because of less than 10 pass attempts when he wasn't even supposed to be in the backup QB position. Not saying you are, that was a good response, but it seems like a lot of people are. He was our 3rd QB all year last year because he's not ready, and that's ok. In a couple years if nothing changes, then sure, call him a bust and move on.

SeanP likes this.
  17. cobrajet

Jan 12, 2010
    White looks like a 'Jack of all trades" and I think they are misusing his talents. IMHO he never should have been an NFL QB.

Special teamer, returner, 3rd down back, slot receiver etc.... but not a QB

jetssuck likes this.
  18. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    we basically rented Jason Taylor to the Redskins for a year in return for Pat White. Sure we could have used JT in the playoffs in 2008; but he wouldn't have made the difference to get us past Baltimore. We didn't pay much for White, so I'm not all that upset if he doesn't pan out. He didn't get a huge contract. It's not like some huge investment. 2nd round picks fail all the time. This one doesn't hurt as bad as if Henne failed, who was actually drafted lower. We gave up Chris Chambers for Henne, and nearly paid the price with an 0-16 season. If Henne doesn't pan out, we still need a QB, and we lost Chambers for nothing. Much bigger loss than renting JT to the Skins for a year.

19. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

I smell a trade. Keep teams interested. They aren't sure if we've committed to Thiggy and maybe they throw a good pick or a player and pick swap deal.

20. jetssuck

jetssuck I hear Mandich's voice...

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville

I'm more upset with the fact they went into camp last year and tried to develop him as a pro set QB. Or the fact that they were less than dazzling in their attempts to use him in special packages....

Regardless of how the pick was acquired, getting some use out of it would be nice....... not to mention something we haven't seen enough of in forever.

I hope they get it together concerning this kid before they end up waiving him. He's got value, but that value is found when you get him the ball in space, not taking snaps under center.

cobrajet likes this.
  21. smahtaz

smahtaz Pimpin Ain't Easy

At the end of this season, Thigpen was better White. No doubt about it. Just as a fourth year player should be. Don’t sell White short though. The kid is a football player. Mark it.

jetssuck likes this.
  22. cobrajet

Jan 12, 2010
    White needs to be used in the open field so he can do what he does best. Putting him under center ties his hands. I think he's a race car and they are using him like a taxi.

Special talents require special attention and he is not being afforded that option. This needs to be adjusted. Doing the same thing and expecting different results is the utter definition of insanity. Lets hope that they understand this.

jetssuck likes this.
  23. jetssuck

jetssuck I hear Mandich's voice...

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville

I agree with that....... but I think this whole training him to be a pros set QB or any kind of a QB other than running a few gadget plays needs to be abandoned.

A position change is the only think that's gonna save this pick......and his chances for a career in the NFL

24. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Didn't Sparano already go on record to say that last season if Henne got hurt, Thigpen would of been the backup?

I don't see that changing.

jetssuck likes this.
  25. Tin Indian

Tin Indian Rockin' The Bottom End Club Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Palm Bay Florida
    You don't draft project players in the 2nd round. They clearly thought he would contribute last year and I think he was way below what they had hoped. Yes he had less than 10 attempts throwing the ball, but he looked terrible doing it, which I don't understand because he threw very well in college.

26. 2k5

2k5 I miss Ted Ginn Jr.

Nov 28, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    I have no problem with people disagreeing with the pick, there's certainly a valid argument there, but disagreeing with the pick and saying Pat White is certainly a bust and has no value to our team are two different things.

That's why you can't judge a player based off of such a small sample size many people are doing. He did what he was asked to do (run the ball) pretty darn well in my opinion, so I don't really understand the complaints unless they are coming from false expectations that they think the coaching staff shared, when in reality they don't know the staff's expectations.