1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sparano Q&A: Offseason Edition

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by ATVZ400, Mar 17, 2010.

1. ATVZ400

ATVZ400 Senior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    parts unknown, NJ
    Sparano Q&A: Offseason Edition
    http://www.miamidolphins.com/news/exclusive-tony-sparano-qa-offseason-edition

Good read...

Pariah, Trowa, PhinsRock and 9 others like this.
  2. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

I am always amazed by how few people on the boards are interested in threads about Sparano talking, whether interviews or press conferences.

They'd rather post 187 responses mulling over whether we might make a four way trade with the Raiders-Browns-Bucs or something.

This is the guy who decides everything about how we do on a Sunday. Who plays. Who doesn;t. What our offense and defense will look like. Which players look good or crappy.

He can tell us all the vital stuff, and yet threads about him talking garner little to no interest every time. I just don;t get it at all.

It's like people not caring at all about the President giving his opinion on the country, because instead they are interested in debating whether a Senator has a personality problem.

-shrugs-????

Great thread, bud. Keep em coming!

stoodioratt, Trowa, PhinsRock and 7 others like this.
  3. Bpk

This, to me, says that in year one, when you don;t know your roster, you just draft Best Player Available. for a 1-15 team.

THIS draft, it sounds like we are definitely going to target positions and draft by need. To fill our few holes. This could mean overdrafting players by a few spots, but that's okay at this point.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  4. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Good stuff.

dolfan7171 and ATVZ400 like this.
  5. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    Things I took from that interview:

1. It's Chad Henne's team. Pennington can suck it.
    2. We have 4 QBs, and Sparano is looking forward to each of them and the progess they will make. Will all 4 remain in September?
    3. Sparano needs to learn how to relax.

Pariah, dolfan7171 and Bpk like this.
  6. ATVZ400

ATVZ400 Senior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    parts unknown, NJ

Good point....

dolfan7171 and Bpk like this.
  7. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Brandon Graham maybe?

And I love their nickname for their Scouts "beavers"...:D

dolfan7171 and Bpk like this.
  8. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Or Earl Thomas. :up:

dolfan7171 likes this.
  9. The G Man

The G Man Git 'r doooonnne!!!

Mar 18, 2009
    We should nail this draft! :up:

dolfan7171 likes this.
  10. dolfan7171

dolfan7171 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    I remember reading this morning and it was just getting me excited for the upcoming season.

Bpk likes this.
  11. dolfan7171

dolfan7171 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    I think people still haven't acknowledged it as Tony Sparano's team. They are still saying its Parcells' team since he is over the operations. I think he will get more attention coming his way when Parcells feels he is done here in Miami.

Bpk likes this.
  12. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    IMO Sparano didn't say anything all that compelling beyond it's Henne's team, which should probably fall under the foregone conclusion category anyway. That's why there haven't been many comments on it.

Bpk and djphinfan like this.
  13. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

Great post Bpk, makes me wonder, and worry, why isn't this thread posted in Club? Are Club members so "elevated" that we don't think we need to read what our team's HC has to say?

I CLAMOR for anything tony Sparano has to say, he's our HC, if he farts I want to know - well maybe not THAT - anyway I want anything he says available to read. Seems a LOT more important than whether Ted Ginn is a bust or will suddenly be a superstar in his 4th year, gimme a break! :lol:

Bpk likes this.
  14. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey

I think its more that he is from the Parcells tree, and he is not going to say anything that they don't want out in the press, and some things he says are meant to make you think they are thinking one way, when they are in fact thinking another way.

Bpk likes this.
  15. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well, a part of it is..and it pains me to say this...they lie PR...lie lie lie lie...all the time.

HC Sparano is by far my favorite Phins coach since Shula, but I can't hang on his every word as they are just as likely to do the exact opposite as what they just said.

Recall Ireland's positive comments about Gibril Wilson?

He was gone in a week, that is how it rolls in Miami.

The only thing I partially put any stock in is live interviews on radio shows and since WQAM dropped Dolphins Tonight, there are not even those to rely on.

Bpk likes this.
  16. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    Of course they lie pod
    part of the game
    only believe 1/4 of what you read or see
    we know that
    specially going toward the draft

17. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Wrong context my man, PR was asking about why this wasn't up in Club, it is simply because you really cannot believe what they say and that sort of thing can become a rabbit trail.

I put far more stock in who we've interviewed than anything they have to say, and even that is shakey as we've drafted players that no one knew we had any contact with at all.

Bpk likes this.
  18. Pariah

Pariah Revolutionary

Nov 27, 2007
    Little Rhody
    I lol'd

19. Bpk

I didn't mean to say we should have a club summit every time Tony spoke, but yeah, I'm just baffled by how very little attention threads about him get.

Maybe it's as a previous poster said, people don't give Sparano's word as much weight as Parcell's yet when it comes to this team.

the man only coached us from 1-15 to a division crown and almost made the playoffs with a first-time starter at QB, our #1 CB and #1 RB out for the season, two rookie corners, and no Free Safety to speak of.

Why would we care what a guy like that had to say. lol.

20. Bpk

No one is saying to sell our house and move to a different state because he said so. "Hang on his every word" is an exagerration of what we mean, imo.

All I am saying is, why don;t we care JUST as much about what Sparano says as a blurb from Sean Salisbury, or Greg Cote, or some nobody in the press spawning a rumor about a player who may have said he may want to maybe come to our team someday maybe.

THAT quote is worth "hanging on every word" from some media chump.

But our head coach's words desreve less attention in these forums.

That's what has clearly shown itself from every Tony Sparano interview and press conference I have ever seen posted, compared to the stuff we find much more interesting to discuss.

And that baffles me.

I am not saying people don't have the right to do it, but it confuses me, when those4 media types have NO say in our team, and Tony has a LOT.

just baffling to me why we, even NOW say "why would we hang on his every word".

Because he runs the goddamned team! Am I way off base here?? Maybe I'm nuts, but I don't think he only talks P.R. bull****. I think he actually does say some useful stuff. especially if you read between the lines.

Maybe people here would rather hear Wolf Blitzer talk about the USA, for example, but I'd rather hear Obama, even KNOWING what he says is careful and calculated. Same thing with Sparano.

21. Bpk

Thak you. Honestly. From the bottom of my Dolphins-lovin' heart.

lol.

Hope the acting is going well. :)

22. Bpk

First of all, you know I love you, right Padre? I agree with more of your posts than anyone else here on ThePhins.com, I think. but, as my previous post showed, I can;t agree with you here, Padre. I agree that Sparano ptoects players, and doesn;t criticize 'his own' in the media, even when unhappy with them. yes that's misrepresentation on his part. But, you can still learn about schemes, plans for personnel, and also their philosophy and intent when he talks. Plus, you can tell when he is paying lip service and when he REALLY loves a guy. Look, a certain amount of reading between the lines has to go on, but you STILL have to consider anything he says valuable INTEL, in my opinion.

I get your point about PR 'lines' and nothing of value being saidm but I think there is still a lot to be gleaned from Front Office and Head Coach interviews. Always.