1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sparano: Joe Berger was just better

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by CrunchTime, Sep 9, 2010.

Tags:
  1. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thed...oach-tony-sparano-joe-berger-was-just-better/

Some of us may be scratching our heads about the recent changes but these guys get paid for their decisions and their necks are on the line so we should at least give them the benefit of the doubt until we have enough evidence to think otherwise IMO.

2. 54Fins

54Fins "In Gase we trust"

Nov 29, 2007
    over there
    Yes..nuff said tbh.

i wish jake luck in the future. i back up all decisions by our team's FO,i just don't agree with all of them.this one was just fine by me.you need to be on the damn field to make the 53.

3. emocomputerjock

emocomputerjock Senior Member

Nov 23, 2007
    DC
    I can dig that Berger was better than Grove, but I'm not buying in the least that Proctor was close to Grove.

4. PhinsRDbest

PhinsRDbest Transform and Transcend

Jan 5, 2010
    the next dimension
    He better be!

5. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    ehh I'm still not a fan of out right cutting him.
    Why not just negotiate a paycut or trade him?

Bpk likes this.
  6. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    Maybe not that close but the contract size differential made it closer.:lol:

7. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    C'mon man. You have to really think our front office is soup sandwich incompetent to ask a question like that.

8. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Also in the news, cigarette manufacturers announce, to the relief of all, that it has not been proven that cigarattes contribute to cancer.

WHEW!

siciliansith likes this.
  9. mommabilly

mommabilly No riders allowed

May 3, 2010
    If we kept Grove who was our backup at Guard ? Nobody has mentioned that at all. Grove blows at guard, he proved that in Oakland after he blew at center.

10. gafinfan

gafinfan gunner Club Member

Not against this move, my only concern is why it ever had to be made in the first place. They knew going in that Grove had injury issues yet they paid him a pile of money, and for what, ...... 10 games. Grove is laughing all the way to the bank!!!:pity:

BLITZ and DOLPHAN1 like this.
  11. PHINANALYST

PHINANALYST Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2008
    North Carolina
    the original roster and depth chart was worrisome at G .... again where an injury hurt with Garner -- won't say this 'solves' it ... but it does provide some protection.

12. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    if they blow this season, I want all their heads

13. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    I agree with the initial post about the FO's expertise.

Questions remain, however:
    Is what Sparano says really the case or is it just surface talk?

Is the owners wallet a factor that no one is willing to talk about? (They wouldn't say, if it was).

Is the reason Berger is "more physical at the point of attack" (TS) because Grove was struggling with the shoulder injury that limited him?

From what I saw of Berger, he hasn't been as physical as Grove was last year when he was healthy. I think there is a bit of "coach speak" in all of this - and, btw, I'm perfectly fine with that. But, as secretive as this organization is, I doubt they are going to go into all the nuances as to why one player was kept and one was released.

The bottom line for me as a fan is I want an owner who does not really care too much about the costs - but is willing to lay it on the line to bring a winning, SB contending franchise (i.e., a Billionaire who has made his money elsewhere but is not too worried about losing a few mil for a few years to build a consistently dominant team).

In essence, I want the front office to be smart, but to be free from most monetary limitations (without going insane) in their roster decision-making.

If that's what we have and that's all that this is about, then great. It is hard to know, given a) the secrecy; and b) the questions about Ross' real value.

Let's face it, when Tom Hicks took over the Texas Rangers, everyone called him a "Billionaire." Turns out he's a fraud who did a lot of paper maneuvering. Same with the Dodgers owners. There are too many owners who appear wealthy on the surface b/c they have ownership stakes in several companies no one really knows the value of; but in reality, are handcuffed financially.

CrunchTime and Bpk like this.
  14. R&R_Express

R&R_Express New Member

Nov 5, 2009
    i still think we need more OG depth even with proctor.... Im not a fan of having this little depth. Right now we only have protor as a backup OG and BAckup C, im sure some of the other guys we signed that are listed at OT (Parnell, and Pat) can play OG but still, we are very thin in the O-line, the position that takes the MOST punishment in a game IMO. I wish they would consider bringing Donald Thomas back or another OG for more depth

15. BLITZ

BLITZ New Member

Mar 1, 2010
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Given his injury prone history, I thought signing Grove was a mistake from day one. And then there's the contract we gave him, totally outrageous! What else is there to really say, other than the fact that our FO completely screwed up big time in signing Grove. Horrible decision on every level in my opinion...

What really boils my blood right now, is that after two years of shuffling the roster / rebuilding this team, the only OL addition we've added that's worth mentioning is LT Jake Long. Other than drafting him, Ireland, Parcells, and Sparano have done next to nothing to upgrade the OL. We've been rotating G's and C's since the day they arrived, and it appears none have been worth keeping. That's a shame considering that the OL is suppose to be Sparano's area of expertise. I guess I just expected more from this new FO, and we can't afford another step backwards in 2010. Time will tell...

16. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Great points. Here is an example of that from May of this year, regarding Steve Ross' finances...

http://blogs.trb.com/sports/custom/business/blog/2010/05/miami_dolphins_owner_steve_ros_1.html

First of all, money problems ALWAYS spill over from one business to another eventually. Always. You start shuffling the other business around to help you financially deal with the struggling one. i.e. you try to find money in the 'good' business to help with the 'struggling' business.

I'm not saying that is what is happening right now. But clearly Da Fins is right: just because a man has a lot of assets and we call him "rich" does not mean he can't be in financial trouble.

Including Mr. Ross.

In fact a lot of businessmen GET rich by always extending their credit and loans to the limit to push the envelope and use that leveraged capital for new projects.

17. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Except we spent more money than ANY other team besides the Giants last year. And we gave mega deals to Marshall and Dansby this year. Of the guys we cut, only Grove and Anderson (3.2/2.2 million) had high salaries. If these were cost cutting moves, they didn't cut very much.