Sparano forced to drop conservative playbook

81 replies

ASASUFinFanForum VeteranOP
Aug 22, 2011, 08:25 PM

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=At2YqPdNjINShNGvLEuza3wdsLYF?slug=jc-cole_tony_sparano_chad_henne_miami_dolphins082211

Not sure if some of you have seen this, but there's some real good tidbit's in there...exciting to hear this from him firsthand.

“I spent a lot of time looking at myself in the mirror, knowing that I need to make the change. Obviously, three-quarters of my staff on offense is new . That’s something that I felt we had to do. I feel like Brian’s style is more aggressive … it started with me with big plays and how hard we had to work to advance the ball down field in the past. That’s where I had to look at myself and say, ‘I’m the CEO of the football part of it. If I see it broke, I have to fix it and it has to start with me.’ We couldn’t crawl down the field anymore.”

I owe GISH a beer for helping me throw this sig pic together...

Man Up, Beer Down!

NaboCaneNaboCaneNew Member
Aug 22, 2011, 08:32 PM

It took four years for the marinade to penetrate.

DrAstroZoomDrAstroZoomLuxury Box
Aug 22, 2011, 08:33 PM

Encouraging.

steveincoloradosteveincoloradoNew Member
Aug 22, 2011, 08:35 PM

I also think it helps him that Parcells is no longer his boss. BP IMO, handcuffed TS with giving Henning full control of the offense. It also sounds like Tony is happier to finally have some freedom.

MikeHonchoMikeHonchoSupporter
Aug 22, 2011, 08:36 PM

...right into a fire hopefully.

Headcoach material wouldn’t want to work somewhere they’re not trusted with actual football decisions.

SHShamboubouNew Member
Aug 22, 2011, 08:38 PM

I really like Sparano the person and motivator, hopefully he really pulls it together with the football side of it as well.

I also feel this really needs to be pointed out. Anybody else notice that since Henning is gone, we have not seen Chad Henne have to waste a timeout yet?? There has been no wasted time out yet to my knowlege. That in its self is an improvement, couldn't stand losing 2 timeout a half because Henne didn't have the play fast enough.

I also think this is something we can exploit against the Jets, I think when we see that defense we go no huddle, quick snap them, dont let them get subs in and out of the game. You screw up a lot of their packages doing that since they like to substitute so much.

I'm not looking for the best players, I'm looking for the right ones.

-Herb Brooks-

CitizenSnipsCitizenSnipsNew Member
Aug 22, 2011, 08:38 PM

nobodies giving us a chance anyway. I hope we go for the throat on every series on offense. Henne clearly looks better when hes got more option (im not sure theres a QB who wouldn't). We should be looking for 15-30 yd routes at least once a series and not just once a game.

ASASUFinFanForum Veteran
Aug 22, 2011, 08:42 PM

It's something that had to be done, and from the sound of it, Sparano knew this as well. Just makes me wonder why he waited so long to oust Henning. Had to of been the BP connection, and he didn't want to step on their toes...unfortunate.

I owe GISH a beer for helping me throw this sig pic together...

Man Up, Beer Down!

GreysonWinfieldGreysonWinfieldNew Member
Aug 22, 2011, 08:42 PM

Just throw the bomb and on the next play do it again. Was there a more effective play in lot ball?

One game at a time: Your 2016 Miami Dolphins.
A team without leadership, players without heart: Your 2015 Miami Dolphins.
Carrying on a decade plus of underachieving and mediocrity: Your 2014 Miami Dolphins.
Pissing on your dreams and tearing your heart out: Your 2013 Miami Dolphins.

KingofMiamiKingofMiamiNew Member
Aug 22, 2011, 08:58 PM

We should be able to beat all scrub teams atleasee

Boik14Boik14Supporter
Aug 22, 2011, 09:05 PM

"steveincolorado wrote:

I also think it helps him that Parcells is no longer his boss. BP IMO, handcuffed TS with giving Henning full control of the offense. It also sounds like Tony is happier to finally have some freedom.

Agreed. BP was raised on fewer mistakes, conservative let the defense win the game for you type of mentality. Henning was his coordinator years ago and worked for another coach, Tom Coughlin, with the same type of mentality.

The G ManThe G ManForum Veteran
Aug 22, 2011, 09:12 PM

"steveincolorado wrote:

I also think it helps him that Parcells is no longer his boss. BP IMO, handcuffed TS with giving Henning full control of the offense. It also sounds like Tony is happier to finally have some freedom.

Amen. Parcells was a bit of an albatross around Sparano's neck IMO. Be interesting to see what TS can and will do without BP looking over his shoulder.

http://larrycsonka.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/071511-NFL-Larry-Csonka-PI_2011071516291173_660_320.jpg

jdang307jdang307Supporter
Aug 22, 2011, 09:15 PM

"steveincolorado wrote:

I also think it helps him that Parcells is no longer his boss. BP IMO, handcuffed TS with giving Henning full control of the offense. It also sounds like Tony is happier to finally have some freedom.

I sort of disagree. BP left before last year started, he had all year to complain to Henning. I know it would have been too late to change the offense completely, but adjustments could have been made. I think this is all Sparano and Ireland. Glad they're making a change, but I don't see BP handcuffing Sparano considering how little BP was even invested in that last couple years.

Do we forget Sparano begging Henning to stay last year?
EDIT: I understand Parcells also partook in the begging for Henning to stay. My point still stands Parcells bailed out and we not only didn't get more aggressive I say we got worse.

ASASUFinFanForum Veteran
Aug 22, 2011, 09:52 PM

"jdang307 wrote:

I sort of disagree. BP left before last year started, he had all year to complain to Henning. I know it would have been too late to change the offense completely, but adjustments could have been made. I think this is all Sparano and Ireland. Glad they're making a change, but I don't see BP handcuffing Sparano considering how little BP was even invested in that last couple years.

Do we forget Sparano begging Henning to stay last year?
EDIT: I understand Parcells also partook in the begging for Henning to stay. My point still stands Parcells bailed out and we not only didn't get more aggressive I say we got worse.

That's all true. I just don't believe Sparano wanted to step on BP's toes, and contradict his philosophies all while he was still looming from above...somewhere. That and BP's the one who gave Sparano this opportunity, which I'm sure he's grateful for. Henning also has a lot of history in the league, once BP gave him full control of the offense, Sparano might have felt caught in a corner say wise. Your right, Parcells bailed out, but his buddy in crime was still there. Wonder how Sparano booting Henning midseason would have went over with Parcells? Cuz Henning for dayum sure didn't change one bit the entire season, old man definitely never adjusted.

Sparano is growing as a head coach hopefully, growing some cajones too it sounds like...

I owe GISH a beer for helping me throw this sig pic together...

Man Up, Beer Down!

MuckMuckRetired Admin
Aug 22, 2011, 10:23 PM

“The people that I worked for before, [low-risk play-calling is] how they approached it,” said Sparano, who was brought to Miami by former team executive Bill Parcells after Sparano worked for Parcells in Dallas. “Nevertheless, this game has really changed and it has really changed in our division. If you don’t score points in our division, you’re going to have a hard time winning football games. So we have to do a better job of generating big plays, generating more scores and even though we feel like we have one of the best defenses in the league, we’d like them to play a little less.

He's essentially becoming his own man now.

Much like Henne admits (in the article) he couldn't fully assert himself because Chad Pennington was such a big presence on the team.

Make the throwback uniforms permanent!

jdang307jdang307Supporter
Aug 22, 2011, 10:23 PM

Yes I agree. I'm just saying, once BP left Sparano owned this. Sparano himself wasn't ready to make a bold change. I mean, complaints were rampant all year about Henning. Every day in the papers. Defensive backs telling us they know what we were going to run. Things like that were ignored all year. So I don't see BP as much of an albatross over sparano as sparano being his own albatross. No matter how you slice it he isn't the best tactician out there.

But I'm the first to say I'm ecstatic he finally sees the light. Last years offense was BORING.

smahtazsmahtazForum Veteran
Aug 22, 2011, 10:25 PM

"steveincolorado wrote:

I also think it helps him that Parcells is no longer his boss. BP IMO, handcuffed TS with giving Henning full control of the offense. It also sounds like Tony is happier to finally have some freedom.

I agree with this 100%.

Henning had no faith in Henne because he doesn't have the skill set of a Pennington or Delhomme. A good OC should be able to adapt his scheme to take advantage of his team's strengths. Well there's that and no running game to speak of.



It's what you learn after you know it all that counts. ~ John Wooden

Tin IndianTin IndianForum Veteran
Aug 22, 2011, 10:25 PM

So many dislike this coach for a variety of reasons, some valid, others not so much. I ask all of you, how hard would it be for you to change your stripes? Here is a guy who knows he must change and is actually trying to do it. Kudo's to you Tony, I hope you are successful.

Not My Circus, Not My Monkeys.

Dol-Fan DupreeDol-Fan DupreeForum Veteran
Aug 22, 2011, 10:31 PM

"Muck wrote:

He's essentially becoming his own man now.

Much like Henne admits (in the article) he couldn't fully assert himself because Chad Pennington was such a big presence on the team.

Actually the reason why I didn't want Pennington on the team last season if they were going to start Henne.

Holland is a huge upgrade over McCain

I want to be alive, I am alive! Alive, I tell you! Mother, I love you, those are no longer just words. I want to hold you, I want to run in a stream, I want to taste ice cream but not just put it in my mouth and let it slide down my throat but really eat it. - Robot Morty

ALalen1New Member
Aug 22, 2011, 10:34 PM

"ASUFinFan wrote:

It's something that had to be done, and from the sound of it, Sparano knew this as well. Just makes me wonder why he waited so long to oust Henning. Had to of been the BP connection, and he didn't want to step on their toes...unfortunate.

Hard to convince yourself that your philosophy is not working anymore. Its not easy to do. The great coaches can adapt and evolve quickly, but not all are that way.

Clark KentClark KentForum Veteran
Aug 22, 2011, 10:36 PM

This could be another Tom Coughlin situation. TC was on the hot seat and came pretty close to losing his job. He learned from it and made adjustments. Hopefully, now that Sparano has made his adjustments, the team will get better.

padre31padre31Luxury Box
Aug 22, 2011, 10:38 PM

"The G Man wrote:

Amen. Parcells was a bit of an albatross around Sparano's neck IMO. Be interesting to see what TS can and will do without BP looking over his shoulder.

I agree, my one dislike is now he is chained to Henne, which I maintain is a such a longshot that I don't like that roll of the dice.

Parcells, in the final analysis, was both good and bad for the Dolphins Franchise, there is little doubt we are a better, deeper team then when he was hired, he also stifles innovation and perhaps is a bit to dictatorial as if folks recall, White was Henning's guy, if Sparano did not like his game you can see the trouble from here.

And is this...Sparano tossing the Big Tuna...under the bus?

steveincoloradosteveincoloradoNew Member
Aug 22, 2011, 10:39 PM

Henne's output Friday and now this, this should make every Dolphins fan smile. We haven't smiled about our offense in a very long time.

padre31padre31Luxury Box
Aug 22, 2011, 10:40 PM

"Tin Indian wrote:

So many dislike this coach for a variety of reasons, some valid, others not so much. I ask all of you, how hard would it be for you to change your stripes? Here is a guy who knows he must change and is actually trying to do it. Kudo's to you Tony, I hope you are succesful.

Honestly he is my favorite Dolphins coach since Shula, say what one will about Sparano, but this is a disciplined team with talent with a bit more juice then JJ had in the mid to late 90's.

steveincoloradosteveincoloradoNew Member
Aug 22, 2011, 10:42 PM

"alen1 wrote:

Hard to convince yourself that your philosophy is not working anymore. Its not easy to do. The great coaches can adapt and evolve quickly, but not all are that way.

The great Don Shula....
Although it was different, he went from a run first guy to a pass first guy when he drafted Marino.