1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spaghetti Sauce

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Phinvader Bill, Aug 23, 2009.

1. Phinvader Bill

Phinvader Bill The all new Mr. Event

May 1, 2009
    Columbia, SC
    When you cook Italian food, what do you use for sauce? Store bought, or do you make it yourself?

I always make mine. I hate onions, so I figured that if I wanted to eat spaghetti, I'd better learn how to make my own sauce. I do use onion powder in it though.

2. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    femalefinfan and Celtkin like this.
  3. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    I only make my own in the fall when all the plum tomatoes arrive and my basil plants are lush .. same with chili, start from scratch there too. The rest of the year, I use Barilla.. which is my opinion the best I have ever tried. Tomato and basil, roasted garlic, green pepper and mushroom all come home with me. I put one each in the pot and have at it. I eat it on angel hair, sometimes with ground beef, others with Italian sausage or like two nights ago with boneless skinless chicken breasts sauteed with three or four HEAPING table spoons of minced or chopped garlic. I am a very good cook and I am hard pressed to make better red sauce than they offer in a jar.

[​IMG]

Being a southern boy, I have been drinking my iced tea out of a mason jar since forever. The square Barilli jars have a clean rim and work just fine.. no drippage after the sip, I have a whole shelf devoted to them. I am drinking tea from one now. Outside when insects are an issue, I keep a lid on between sips, and I can toss it into the ice chest for coolness. They double as a measuring jar too as they are marked for that.

The Marinara is pretty good too, nice bite to it...I have that with chicken breasts and regular "fat" spaghetti.

One of these days I'll write up my recipe for linguine and white clam sauce.. it has never failed to get me "desert" when I invite a lady over. Everyone who has had it says it's the best they have ever eaten and they don't get it at restaurants any more.

maynard and NaboCane like this.
  4. femalefinfan

femalefinfan Phillies fan Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Philth-a-delphia
    Depends on my mood. On nights I need a quick dinner, I use jar. Otherwise, I usually make my own.

5. Phinvader Bill

Phinvader Bill The all new Mr. Event

May 1, 2009
    Columbia, SC
    I have no idea how to make Alfredo sauce. I'd love to learn how because I love linguine white. But, I make a mean linguine red though.

I'm making a batch of marinara sauce right now. It takes about 5 hours to make a batch the way I do it. This batch will take longer because I'm making a bigger than usual batch.

6. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Alfredo originated in Napoli, at - you guessed it - Alfredo's!

It's European triple butter, (substitute 1 part butter to 2 parts heavy cream if you can't find it here) freshly grated Parmiggiano, salt and a tiny bit of freshly ground white pepper. That's it!

Phinvader Bill likes this.
  7. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    To me, Marinara has always been a loose sauce, not cooked down and thick, with cooked, but not everly soft onions and pepper.. a "quick" red sauce.

My white sauce is not an alfredo.. no cheese in it, romano "on" it (Lucatelli.. has to smell like "dead feet' as ol' Joe Shakra used to say) the white comes at the end from heavy cream

8. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    God love you for your patience, Marty; I never was able to grow basil in Florida.

I have a good, healthy garden of it here, though; along with Tuscan Blue rosemary, Greek oregano, thyme, marjoram, curly parsley, Kentucky Colonel mint (best EVER!), dill, fennel, lemon verbena, habanero peppers, Jamaican Scotch Bonnet peppers (both red and yellow), cilantro, black figs, bay leaf and 3 kinds of heirloom tomato.

Also have a large variety of lavenders, and I'm trying my hand at growing melons this year - although I don't know how that will turn out.

cnc66 likes this.
  9. Colorado Dolfan

Colorado Dolfan ...dirty drownin' man?

Just made spaghetti sauce today.

Just not a fan of anything from a jar, though...

10. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Jar sauce could get you killed in the house I grew up in. True story.

Phinvader Bill and opfinistic like this.
  11. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Really easy to make your own. But what sauce are you talking about though. There are quick red sauces you can make in 10 minutes. There is marinara, there are the different ragus.

Then you have all the white sauces. You guys should try aglio-olio which is basically pasta in an olive oil and garlic, that's it.

12. Miamian

Miamian Senior Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Jerusalem, Israel
    I always make my own. The thing is that the tomatoes have to be right. If they're kind of pink, forget it. The redder they are, the better they are.

BTW, I make aglio-olio so often it may do it sleepwalking. It's so easy and it takes just a couple of minutes.

Just put olive oil, garlic, chopped parsley (flat leaf if possible), and black pepper. Let it cook just until the parsley wilts, about a minute or two. That's it you're done and it's delicious.

13. opfinistic

opfinistic Braaaaains!

Dec 7, 2007
    Peeking in Nabo's Basement
    I make my own usually, but if I'm in a pinch I'll doctor up a couple of cans of Hunts Tomato Sauce, If I'm doing a meat sauce I saute the meat with chopped garlic and Marsala wine, draining the wine when the meat is cooked through. Makes a real tasty meat sauce.

Fin D likes this.
  14. jdang307

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    a variation on that Miamian, is when the garlic just begins to brown (golden) pour water about a cup into the skillet (careful for splashes). This allows the garlic to cook further, sweetening and mellowing, without overbrowning the garlic. I like them both ways, really brown garlic, and also this method which produces a sweet, soft, mellow garlic. You allow the water to boil off about half before proceeding like normal. Takes a tiny bit longer but give it a shot, let me know if you like it.

Miamian likes this.
  15. jdang307

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    I have "On Top of Spaghetti" a really good cookbook from owners of Al Forno in Providence, RI. They have some really easy quick pasta recipes I have to try. If anyone wants me to post some of the recipes I can (ingredient lists are not protected by copyright). They have midnight sauces for one, etc.

opfinistic likes this.
  16. opfinistic

opfinistic Braaaaains!

Dec 7, 2007
    Having homemade lasagna tonight. I used the no boil noodles from Barrilla this time (we're rethermalizing leftovers tonight) and let me tell you that you can't tell the difference. It was nice to eliminate that one step (and dirty pot and colander) in the long process of lasagna construction.

17. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    ugh, not spaghetti sauce. Tomato sauce.

18. TJamesW_Phinfan

TJamesW_Phinfan New Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Ketchup and some italian seasoning. KIDDING! I prefer home made but more often doctor up pre made sauce from a jar due to time and lazyness. I buy sauces that don't have tons of salt and have less stuff I can't pronounce in the ingredients like monophosfochloraphormicaladaliosious.

19. unifiedtheory

unifiedtheory Sub Pending Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    Basically how I make it only I add fresh garlic, hell I add fresh garlic to everything...LOL!

When I want to spruce it up a bit, I'll lightly saute some small broccoli's and some cubed (good quality) ham...my god.

20. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Welll, when I want a white sauce, I simply use Parmesan and Butter and a generous amount of black pepper.

Red Sauce..depends, sometimes fresh tomatoes and basil in the food processor on warm pasta, when a heavier meat sauce is called for, the large crock pot brown (but not fully cooked) sausage and pork neck bones whole garlic slightly crushed, parmesan, Oregano, basil, a couple of shots of Tabasco or Red Pepper flakes and simmer on low for 8 hours or so.

21. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
  22. jdang307

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    I'm the 7th comment :D

Fresh pasta is something you should all try too, it's really easy. All you need is flour and eggs.

23. Barry White

Barry White Banned

Apr 13, 2008
    Los Angeles, California
    Semolina flour. :up:

24. opfinistic

opfinistic Braaaaains!

Dec 7, 2007
    And a pasta maker.

25. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    I make a pretty decent marinara sauce and meat sauce but a better marsala and white clam sauce.

cnc66 likes this.