1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sources: Cards close to deal for A's Holliday

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by JagsFan3223, Jul 24, 2009.

1. JagsFan3223

JagsFan3223 New Member

May 11, 2009
    [ame="http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4353256"]Oakland Athletics' Matt Holliday is close to being sent to St. Louis Cardinals for three players, sources say - ESPN[/ame]

Cardinals #2 Prospect in Third Baseman Brett Wallace and #6 Prospect in Starting Pitcher Clayton Mortensen

2. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Holliday is starting to mash, and a lineup with Pujols, Holliday, Ludwick would be downright scary.

This is a no-brainer for Oakland. They can dump his salary (assuming they don't have to take any on) and acquire two top prospects.

3. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    I don't believe Mortensen is a top prospect in the same sense that Wallace is but yeah very good deal for the A's. I had heard St. Louis wanted Oakland to pick up some of Holliday's contract and some of Wallace's signing bonus from last year (which I definitely would do too if I was Beane as Wallace can mash).

So it looks like Beane pretty much traded Street, Gonzalez and Smith for Wallace and 2 minor leagues. Good deal.

4. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    Per Buster Olney the deal is done...no link, got it through ESPN text message alerts.

Brett Wallace and 2 other minor leaguers

5. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    [ame="http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4353256"]Oakland Athletics' Matt Holliday is traded to St. Louis Cardinals, sources say - ESPN[/ame]

6. unifiedtheory

unifiedtheory Sub Pending Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    I'm not trading him in my MLB The Show franchise...LOL! I signed him to an 8 year, 120 million dollar extension and he's rewarded me with a .390, 20 HR 70 RBI season with 70 games remaining.

Of course, in video game land the A's have a $95 million dollar payroll, sell out every game and are 6 games in front of the Angels.

In reality I have to watch Beane try and make chicken salad out of chicken ****.

Holliday will do well. He has been tearing the cover off the ball the last few weeks. Now he can go back to the National League. Stick him in front of Pujols and he'll see a lot of pitches.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    Well, he's batting behind Pujols. But. he'll still do well.