1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sound the feasting horn...

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by THCMAN, Aug 7, 2008.

1. THCMAN

THCMAN New Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Miami
    Prepare for some cheesehead roadkill...:pointlol:

The guys on our defense are probably making little drool puddles thinking of getting turnovers from that old mississippi boy.

The line will favor the jets, but I think with Farve under center our chances for an opening day victory just went up considerably...

Now let's see if Henne can win the J-O-B outright. :shifty:

2. mullingan

mullingan New Grandbaby Pic!!!

Nov 27, 2007
    Gainesboro, TN
    I can't see that our chances of winning have gone up "considerbly". Say what you want, but Brett is a top tier Qb in this league. Yeah he will throw some pics, but he will make 1 or 2 unbelievable plays each game and thats where it hurts. No the Jets are better today then they were yesterday and our chances of winning aren't as good, IMO, as they were yesterday. Having said that, I still think we have the ability to win this game, and any other we are going to play. It comes down to EXECUTION. If we execute we can win week one through week 17.

dolfan32323 and azfinfanmang like this.
  3. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    They tore us up last year with their running game and Klemens had a pretty good game against us. Why won't they play better with a legendary QB? I hate to say this but they're going to be a pretty good team. I'm not going to put a number on their win total because I don't know how quickly Favre grasps their offense. I thought they were looking at seven wins when they didn't have Favre. I think our chances got worse when we play them.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2008
    BleedinGreenNC likes this.
  4. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    Chad had our number.
    He is gone now.
    Lets see if Favre has it.

gunn34 likes this.
  5. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Do you really think we beat the jests with a rookie qb and rebuilding D ??

azfinfanmang, Coral Reefer and alen1 like this.
  6. Coral Reefer

Coral Reefer Premium Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    We have as much a chance as anyone going by the "any given Sunday" mantra but besides that you are dead on.

Were not expecting much for this season and for good reason.

That's why the acquisition of Favre really dosen't bother me beyong knowing I'll have to hear Jet fans mouths running non stop about it.

As for the poster that said our chances of beating the Jets went "up significantly" because Faver will be their QB...... that's silly IMO.

It was a good short term move for them and bringing in a HOF QB that showed he still has talent last year can't be considered a good thing for any of the Jets opponents.

alen1 likes this.
  7. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I'm hoping that we have one of those South Florida September days that is so hot the seats feel melted a bit like a grilled cheese sandwich...

Our run "D" should be a heck of alot better this year.

8. texasPHINSfan

texasPHINSfan New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    a lot of people are really looking at Favre in NY the wrong way. keep in mind even though he is a vet, he's been in the same environment/system for most his entire career. he's coming to a completely new ballclub without the benefit of the offseason to learn a playbook, learn new lingo & playnames, AND get timing down with receivers? you guys also forget that the jets have swept us the last couple of years anyway.... so worst case its more of the same, best case we actually get the better of them.

I would expect this year for favre be much more like marino's last year than elway's last year. ergo, i'm not concerned. :up:

9. FaninPatsyLand

FaninPatsyLand The Truth

Jun 26, 2008
    I'm sick of getting beaten up within our division. I want this team to be physical and hit our division rivals in the mouth. For too long we've gone on road trips to NY, BUF and NE with a soft group of guys.

I'm confident that will change this year.

10. THCMAN

THCMAN New Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Miami
    In a word... Yes. :up:

Are we talking about the same team that only won 4 games last year?

Damn they sure get a lot more respect around here than I expected.

There aren't many games on our schedule that I feel good about, but I think we have a better chance to win that opening day game than most of those other ones.

I can see the Bills getting that type of reaction, but the Jets? PLEASE! :pointlol:

Colorado Dolfan and dolfan32323 like this.
  11. texasPHINSfan

texasPHINSfan New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    when a team sweeps you every year, you will give that team respect. the jets could finish with only 2 wins in a year, and both those wins would be against us. :angry:

12. calphin

calphin deadly at 250 yards!!

I thought K/C is where legends went to die? I was wrong it's N/Y.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2008
  13. THCMAN

THCMAN New Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Miami
    Dude, every team in the AFC East swept us last year. :cry:

This is almost a completely different team, everything is different. Cameron was good for 5 losses just by himself last year.

Things will change, maybe not completely in one year, but we totally underperformed as a team last year. Even with all of the injuries and clueless coaching decisions we were still in most of the games...

IMO the Bills are a team to watch out for not the jests...

In Saban's first year here we were very competitive. It wasn't that long ago. :shifty:

dolfan32323 likes this.
  14. texasPHINSfan

texasPHINSfan New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    i realize this. and i realize the bills are up and coming as well. i'm just saying i respect the jets because they beat us every year. if a team does that, they should earn your respect.

you can't change history.

15. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ

I agree, and thats a terrific thread title.:up:

16. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Problem is, jets have beaten us every time for years and years. even when we were winning and they were losing.

17. The Aqua Crush

The Aqua Crush New Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Calgary Alberta Canada
    Were the wildcard team with so many changes, no one can really know what to expect IMO.

Yes Farvre has to learn a new playbook, new teammates, coaches, playcalling but i fail to believe him in new york increases our odds in week 1. Farve will know how to make plays, compromise and limit mistakes. He showed me last year especially in the playoffs that even when a play falls all to pieces he somehow finds a way to turn it into something positive, except on the out patterns, where he struggled mightly. He's a gamer and I don't think hes a terrible qb entering this season.

There would have to be considerable continuity issues with his new teamates for them to melt down in week 1, which our team could help create, but they will have to prove it with so many new variables, i can't say for certain one way or another if our team will be much improved or still need time to grow.

As of right now i don't think farve going to the jets increases our chances of success in week 1. Hopefully i'm wrong on that though

18. texasPHINSfan

texasPHINSfan New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    i guess the bright side is now with favre on the jets, our secondary's INT #'s for the year will go up. :up:

19. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    IMO Favre has been washed up for three years. Last year was an anomoly. He got lucky. I think he'll lose more games then he will win by himself.

MelbournePhin likes this.
  20. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Ahhhh

THC, So much more than just a screen name on a dolphins site

Sorry, but the Jests have done nothing but improve their chances of not only beating us, but making a serious run for the division.

21. THCMAN

THCMAN New Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Miami
  22. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    I give that 1.5 percent chance of happening :tongue2:

23. THCMAN

THCMAN New Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Miami
    I doubt it too, but it would be cool.

It would make for a clean start. It's not like we're contending for the AFC east this year anyway.

24. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Favre will kill the Jets. I am a big packer fan, second only to the Phins, and have watched them for awhile. Favre is a player that can, and sometimes does, singlehandedly win games. He is also a player that can, and does, singlehandedly LOSE games as well. Its crazy, when he has a really bad off day, he somehow infects the entire team and sinks them down. Look at Dallas, or the New York games. And the thing is, I dont think he is capable of avoiding that "one game" in a playoff run. The Jets will at least need a first round bye (good luck with that ...) but at some point Favre will drop a stinker and crush them.
    It will happen at least 2 times in the regular season as well.

Can we beat them? On paper they have made some big upgrades and additions. On the field? We will see how it all comes together. I dont forsee us having a great year, I think a 5 win season would be great progress, but I do see us as being a troublesome, competitive team people dont want to play.

25. mullingan

Nov 27, 2007
    Gainesboro, TN

I agree we are going to be competitive, perhaps even surprising to teams looking at the 1-15 last year PHINS early in the season. I whole heartedly believe that late in the year teams will not want to play us. Maybe week 17 if we aren't playing for a playoff spot, the Jets will be and we will knock them out of it! Can I get an AMEN?

26. 124

124 Banned

May 12, 2008
    The same Jets who were a playoff team the year before and when you take a look at the 2006 roster the 2008 roster blows it away.

If Kellen Clemens and the Offensive Line we had last season dominated your team in Miami, I'm very confident this years team with Brett Favre can do it even better. Miami lost more than they gained on Defense.

Good luck keeping the game in single digits on Opening Day. :up:

27. mullingan

Nov 27, 2007
    Gainesboro, TN
    lost more then we gained on defense? Yeah we lost Zach and JT but we are getting back many players that were injured and from all accounts our rookies are playing very good. Our scheme is going to fit who we have much better then last year (READ JOE PORTER). No, I think if the Jets think they are going up against a Miami Defense that is worse then last year they are going to be sadly mistaken.

28. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Agree. This is a totally different and revamped team from last year. Underestimate at your own risk. Either way, improved or not, this team WILL be tougher and more physical. Especially in the early part of last season we played soft, our players were running around gasping for air. Now we are gonna come out and smack you in the mouth. This is NOT last years team just as you claim the Jets of this year are not last years team.

As for the Jets .... its an impressive roster. But I will have to see before I believe. I cant help but think of all the failed iterations of the Redskins and their free agent busts. Dont get me wrong, you guys could challenge the pats, I wouldnt be surprised. I also wouldnt be shocked to see the team blow up and finish worse than .500

Either way, hope we both have a rather injury free exciting year :up:

29. Very good post!

30. MelbournePhin

MelbournePhin New Member

Nov 30, 2007
    melbourne,fl
    we have a totally different front 7 smart guy. how you gonna compare last years personnel to this year? :no:

31. FaninPatsyLand

FaninPatsyLand The Truth

Jun 26, 2008
    I love all these Jet fans coming out of the woodwork. They come on a rebuilding team's website and spew trash. You know what's funny though, they'll be at home watching the games when they matter most, just like us. :lol:

32. 124

124 Banned

May 12, 2008
    Jason Ferguson is an improvement, but thats about it. No Jason Taylor. Good luck with that pass rush. :up:

33. THCMAN

THCMAN New Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Miami
    You know who the jests remind me of?

The Redskins back when Sneider first bought them. History tells us that you can't buy a superbowl team with expensive free-agent players. It has never worked before. I think that idea actually cost Shula his job all those years ago. When they spent all that money on that TE and those other guys to 'contend' for a superbowl and then they sank.

Farve is the same guy who blew their playoff game last year, and three years ago and basically their entire season two years ago. He doesn't have the rest of that Green bay packer team to support him now. They have a very good, very young team. The jets are just the jets...

34. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

This thread should be renamed "Homerism at its finest".

We are STILL rebuilding guys, let's not proclaim any victories over anyone just yet. Pennington may help us win 1-2 more games, but at best that could put us at 6-10 or 7-9 at best IMO.

124 likes this.