1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony reveals VR for PS4

Discussion in 'Gaming Forum' started by finyank13, Mar 19, 2014.

1. Deus ex dolphin

Deus ex dolphin Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2007
    The cost I saw a year or so back when talking about a rig VR capable was in the $1000 to $1500 range. Plus the cost of the VR headset and controllers. A quick Google search tells me I'd spend about $400 for the hardware you mentioned, but no doubt cheaper on sale. Very competitive compared to buying a PS4 Pro.

The console is in the living room though and even if I upgraded our tower PC for VR, it sets in our extra bedroom where I have my space for working from home. Not enough room to really move around with a headset, unless you were very careful, and PSVR allows others to watch on the TV as someone plays. That makes VR much less of a solo experience, as you can see what the person is reacting to.

I had my brother-in-law and a friend over to play some PSVR over the weekend and they thought it was pretty cool. I've got my 'demo plan' down to starting with the Ocean Descent, then the Kitchen, then some Farpoint with the Aim controller, and the Spider-Man movie VR demo that uses the Move controllers. Finish with starting a new Skyrim save and playing the opening wagon scene.

After an hour or so, both needed a quick break from VR, but came away impressed with the experience. I see VR as a nice option, a supplement to normal gaming, but I can't imagine buying a console that was JUST about VR gaming.

Having said that, I'd commit horrific acts of violence to get a VR version of No Man's Sky and/or Horizon Zero Dawn (that would require the PS4 Pro or even a PS5 I guess). Also, a VR football game? Oh man, that would be crazy. Can you imagine staring into the dead eyes of Billicheat as he stood on the sidelines?

Stitches likes this.