1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SONY PS3 Class Action Lawsuit

Discussion in 'Gaming Forum' started by GARDENHEAD, May 3, 2011.

1. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    Hello,

Believe it or not, I'm an attorney. I'm working on a class action lawsuit against SONY with respect to the over 100 million users who had their personal info stolen. This is not a joke.

In class action suits, we need a person to represent each state. Those representatives are called class reps. I need class reps from as many states as I can get. Sometimes class reps don't do anything. Sometimes they get deposed. Sometimes they are awarded a few grand extra for their time. It varies from case to case.

Please PM me if you'd like to be a class rep for your state. All PMs will be kept confidential by me, and I expect you all to keep my real identity confidential as well (yeah, that sounded weird, but I really like to be anonymous on the internet).

Again, this is not a joke. I can answer your questions privately via PM or on this thread. Thanks yall!

2. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I had heard there was a recent ruling that substantially limited class action lawsuits. I haven't read the decision. Is that really what has happened?

3. GARDENHEAD

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    That ruling doesn't apply to all class action suits.

The Supreme Court just ruled that, and of course, I'm paraphrasing, that credit card companies can force you to go to binding arbitration even if State Law says you don't have to. When you sign up for a credit card, the fine print says that if you got a problem, you can't sue and you gotta go to arbitration. Some states have ruled that those provisions are unconscionable and allow lawsuits. The Supreme Court said that the States had no right to pass those laws.

That ruling wouldn't affect the SONY class action. If it did, I wouldn't be working on it.

SICK and rafael like this.
  4. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I assumed that so that's why I asked. I just had not heard what the scope of the ruling was.

5. GARDENHEAD

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    Sorry for sounding like a jerk. I'm a lawyer. Can't help myself sometimes!

SICK likes this.
  6. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    In general, I don’t see why Sony’s failure means I should sign up to financially reward lawyers who swoop in after the fact. Lining your pockets doesn’t un-hack PSN/SOE/Qriocity. Certainly doesn’t get my personal information back.

But I hope you scare the hell out of them anyway.

7. GARDENHEAD

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    Look, I'm not gonna argue against the assertion that lawyers make a lot of money from class action suits. However, the class usually makes good money too. And it is up to the Courts to decide how much the lawyers make, not the lawyers. And your point about scaring the hell outta them is not insignificant. The fear of lawsuits forces big companies to actually treat their customers with some semblance of respect.

MonstBlitz, SICK and Fin-Omenal like this.
  8. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    The class collectively makes money, though it’s split with the lawyers. The individual members of the class make maybe a couple of bucks, sometimes get a free coupon out of the deal. An award diluted among so many people might as well not have been granted in the first place.

Like I said, I hope you scare the hell out of them. :up:

9. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I didn't take it that way at all.

That's what bothered me about the idea of class action suit's being limited. Every limit just transfers more power away from individuals to corporations. I see that as the opposite of capitalism. I think to many Americans don't realize there's a difference between capitalism and corporatism.

10. GARDENHEAD

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    The class action is going forward, whether it is filed by my group of lawyers or some other group. And the class action will go forward whether you are the class rep for your state or if someone else is. I'd rather it be us working together on it. And class reps often get a bonus for their time.

SICK and Fin-Omenal like this.
  11. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I'm sure you have plenty of options for class rep for our state already. :)

12. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    $10 instead of $5? :shifty: I kid, I kid.

I’m jaded about the entire class-action process, especially in this instance. I think you’re going to have a tough time proving Sony needs to do more to make up for the situation than they’ve already done. I wouldn’t mind them paying for two years of ID theft and credit monitoring services for whoever wants it, though.

13. GARDENHEAD

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    There's a lot more to the story than SONY has let on. This is one of the largest security breaches ever. Sony learned of the breach on 4/19, but didn't inform its users until 4/26. They skimped on their security system so that they could focus their money and energy on new products. This wasn't a "stuff happens" kind of event.

14. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    There's ALWAYS more to a story then a particular party lets on.

Desides and GARDENHEAD like this.
  15. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    They took PSN offline by 4/20, however. So while Sony’s PR is being its typically terrible self, it’s hard to say that they were being negligent, since, well, PSN was taken offline.

What products and services did Sony decide to develop and offer with the money that purportedly could have gone to the PSN? Names, release dates, and prices, please. :shifty:

And you might be able to say that they were being lax because their database tables containing customer information weren’t encrypted, but then Sony will counter by saying that the tables containing credit card numbers were encrypted.

Agreed. It’s a hugely serious problem and Sony needs to do more than just give out some free downloads and one month of Playstation Plus membership.

16. GARDENHEAD

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    1. It doesn't matter that they took the PSN offline. People's personal information was stolen. They knew it was stolen. They waited to tell their subscribers. Had they told them immediately, the subscribers could have notified their banks, etc. Of course, the delay is really just the icing on the cake.

2. This will all come out in discovery.

17. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Assuming they knew specifically what was compromised, you would be right. Their PR department has said they didn’t know what information was stolen until the 26th, and then they immediately announced it.

They’ve reported this to the FBI’s cybercrimes division. Can you even engage in discovery during an active criminal investigation?

18. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University

Discovery? I actually like that board best of all the new one's.....Staduim is ok, but Kalhoon is just horrible.

MonstBlitz and Stitches like this.
  19. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    [​IMG]

:confused:

Desides likes this.
  20. GARDENHEAD

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    1. Big companies lie all the time.
    2. Yes.

21. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Indeed. But they certainly weren’t lying about taking the PSN offline ASAP, as Fin-O and SICK will tell you.

I’ll be following the news reports closely, then. :up:

22. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Could "subscribers" still notify their banks once they found out, or since it was 7 days later those people are just screwed and have no way to protect themselves? :shifty:

Aside from the credit card data (which may not have been compromised) and probably birthdays, most of the other info can be found pretty easily with a google search of a person's name (I can't remember he exact site that has all sort of stuff, essentially a phone book online, but it can have photos of your freakin' house :lol: ). I'm not trying to say Sony isn't at fault or responsible for X amount of damages to each individual but the amount of "damage" any single person could claim at this time certainly can't be very much IMO.

Desides likes this.
  23. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    Only our own Desides would argue with a lawyer about laws....the dude is starting to grow on me. :up:

GARDENHEAD and Desides like this.
  24. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    We’re not arguing about the law, just whether or not his interpretation of Sony’s actions is, shall we say… actionable. :shifty:

25. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    [​IMG]

ACTIONABLE!

TiP54, Desides and Fin-Omenal like this.
  26. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    I’m genuinely surprised it took you this long to make that connection. :lol:

27. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I didn't know where to fit it in until Fin-O made his comment. I'd have put this up in the PoFo long ago if I thought anyone would get it.

Desides likes this.
  28. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    A simple “HOLD IT!” would have sufficed. :lol:

29. Mach

Mach Cap Dude

Apr 20, 2009
    Spokeo?

30. Stitches