1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

something Chris Mortensen said on draft day

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by dwhorton, May 2, 2009.

1. dwhorton

dwhorton New Member

Mar 6, 2009
    after the miami pick of Vontae Davis ,Chris said he did radio with bill on espn before he took the job in miami and every week Bill would break down a pos. and talk about what he looked for at each pos. so i did a search and found them. i know alot of you guys know what kind of players Bill ,Jeff and Tony look for but you might find some other info also. you have to scroll down to the 2007 season. http://dailysplice.com/ESPN-Radio-Primetime-episodes#

mdscpa, SICK, anlgp and 6 others like this.
  2. dwhorton

dwhorton New Member

Mar 6, 2009
    the only bad thing is you have to listen to about 12 minutes of the weeks upcoming games b4 bill gives his what to look for list. for example heres some of the things bill looks for when looking at centers. one of the main things a center needs is the ability to recover when he gets in a bad pos. needs to be very smart, it is rare center that can pull and lead on sweeps.there is more thats just some things

3. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

For DEs BP had this to say:

Size. The average DE is 6'4'' 280 lbs runs a 4.8 40.
    Strength at POA.
    Reaction. Does he react well or is he a robotic player?
    Overall Instinct

He has to be able to:

Get down the line
    Make plays from behind
    Can he get the tackles hands down or off of him?
    Do we have to take him out on 3rd downs or can we leave him in to be an asset in the pass rush game?

also a quote I took from it.

"Knowledge is confidence; Confidence lets you play fast".

Going to have to listen to these. Thanks.

4. dwhorton

dwhorton New Member

Mar 6, 2009
    yea i got a notebook and a pen handy when i listen to them.

anlgp likes this.
  5. anlgp

does he do position analysis on all of them? that's the only reason i'll listen to them.

thanks

6. dwhorton

dwhorton New Member

Mar 6, 2009
    most of them just fast forward to about 11-12 minutes and that seems to be where he does his breakdowns.

anlgp likes this.
  7. anlgp

so far i've listened to BP break down his molds and what he likes for the following positions:

OT, SS, RB, DT/NT, TE, DE, OLB, C, ILB/MLB.

All follow the same breakdown he gives general size and attributes he likes to see and then follows them up with what he looks for them to be able to do on the field. once i'm done writing them all down I plan to write them up here so you guys don't have to go thru all this crap like i am.

i really also want to thank dwharton for posting this information.

parcells is kind of a hero of mine. in my opinion he knows how to build teams and while i've had another great site pointed out to me by alen (http://www.sportznutz.com/nfl/draft/scouting/scouting.htm - for those that are interested) this is like coming from the goose that lays the golden egg. it's a recipe for success. combine this with the overall attitude he presents in his book "finding a way to win" and you've got the reason why he is one of the better football coaches and general managers in the business.

between this and d-mikes coaching corner and the scouts here all teaching me things i'm in hog heaven.

padre31 likes this.
  8. dwhorton

dwhorton New Member

Mar 6, 2009
    i was too lazy to listen and type them up thats why i posted the link,plus i don't know how to put things in columns when i post so that would have been a horrible read for everyone.

9. anlgp

i'm not going to do anything special to them; just type them up.

my notes are kind of breif but i'll post what i have.

didn't mean it as an attack towards you not posting the information by the way.

10. dwhorton

dwhorton New Member

Mar 6, 2009
    didn't take it that way :up:

anlgp likes this.