1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

something available of interest on defense

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by the 23rd, Mar 5, 2012.

1. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    Bengal's Free Safety Reggie Nelson
    who made a name for himself under then Secondary Coach, Kevin Coyle (now Dolphin Defensive Coordinator) has surprisingly become available. given that Free Safety is the weakest point in our defensive backfield & key to running a new defense, this could be a real scoop for Miami.
    seems to have just fallen out of the sky; bet they're talking as I type.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolp...ad-to-dolphins-cleared-for-reggie-nelson.html

smahtaz likes this.
  2. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    The flip side is, given that the franchise tag is pretty cheap for safeties, what does it say about what the Bengals think of Reggie Nelson that they franchised their KICKER over him?

PhinsRDbest and jw3102 like this.
  3. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    I really don't know what they were thinking & would add it apparently came as a big shock to most everybody!

1) under Coach Coyle, the twenty-eight year old Nelson, had four interceptions, eight passes defensed, two forced fumbles and two sacks last season.
    2) having played for Coyle a number of seasons, they should know each other well & Nelson could be instrumental in installing Coyle's new defensive systems... seems like a golden opportunity.

like I said before, got a real good feeling about this season.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolp...-cleared-for-reggie-nelson.html#storylink=cpy

4. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Do the Bengals ever make financial outlays? I don't think its that big of a red-flag.

Nelson can run, but he's pretty inconsistent.

5. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    inconsistent?

under Coach Coyle, the twenty-eight year old Nelson, had four interceptions, eight passes defensed, two forced fumbles and two sacks last season.
    Coyle will know if he is a significant upgrade or not.

bet they're talking as I'm typing:yes:

6. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I don't see the Dolphins spending the money to sign Nelson. He is a good but not great safety and I have to suspect that he is looking to get one final big contract before he hits the big 30 in less than two years.

If the Dolphins sign a healthy Manning, I agree that the Dolphins may have a good year. If they don't sign Manning or if they do and he isn't healthy, I see another 500 or below season on the horizon.

7. smahtaz

smahtaz Pimpin Ain't Easy

I think Nelson would be a nice upgrade over Jones and Clemons. The FS market this season is pretty thin from what I’ve read. If one of them could replace Y Bell at SS I’m pretty sure that would clear up around $6M in cap space.

MrClean and the 23rd like this.
  8. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    may just be something inadvertently
    fell out of the sky onto our playing field.
    you never know
    but Coach Coyle has the answer.

9. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    No. Carson Palmer's last contract in Cincinnati is probably the one glaring exception I can think of.

Bengals have a lot of free agent questions on defense with Pat Sims, Jonathan Fanene, Frostee Rucker, Manny Lawson, Pacman Jones, and Reggie Nelson.

10. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

The Bengals are incredibly frugal and a kicker's tender is less than a safety and the Bengals have about 3 other safeties with experience still under contract.
    Taylor Mays, Chris Crocker, and Gibril Wilson. I won't say any of them are on a par with Nelson. They may also feel if they do not resign Nelson that they could bring back Nedu Ndukwe who is also a UFA and played pretty well for them prior to 2011.

I guess we'll come to learn Coyle's opinion of Nelson, if we try to sign him or not.

11. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Compared to our top 4 safeties last season, Nelson is a GREAT safety.

Puka-head and smahtaz like this.
  12. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    seems to me to be an excellent fit for Coyle to jump-start a new system
    & could probably be closed with a reasonable contract
    compared to most other options to immediately up-grade the defense

we shall see said the blind man, then he picked up his hammer & saw :lol: