1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some thoughts on the Giants game

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by padre31, Nov 5, 2011.

1. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Just glanced at the box score, and a couple of pleasant surprises were to be found, even in a loss:

-Kevin Burnett had his best gm for us with 10 tackles

-Slaton averaged 28 ypa on kickoffs, and scored a TD

-They finally stopped asking Matt Moore to be a gunslinger, 22 attempts for him sounds about right

-Reggie Bush had 140 total yds

-ST played well

Downside:

-10 pts in the 4th qtr, the d played okay overall, but once again did not play well in the 4h qtr

-the D could not stop the pass, the Giants Wr's had field days

-Moore turned the ball over again, 4 gms played, 4 to's or more, he has to do better

-D had 1 sack, and no turnovers created

To me, looking at just the stats, this team is not poorly coached per se, but does not have the athletes to make game changing plays, and we've pivoted to more of the run the ball approach we saw from 08-10 I think they acknowledged the wide open passing attack does not fit our personnel.

Disnardo likes this.
  2. Disnardo

Disnardo Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Hialeah, FL
    Pads, thanks for the opinions and just abouty what I thought for the most part...

We do not have playmakers, but as the thought process when drafting, just guys that can play the positions...

Looking at Giants O gameplan, which is run first, they finally realized that our D's weakness was the Pass, and they executed it very well when it counted...

Don't understand why it was not in their gameplan from the beginning, it would have helped their Run game...

As we all know, we need a good QB and good OL to be able to score points (look at Indi). Defensively, the guys we do have can have an impact the game positively based on the momentum of the Offense...

I have come to the realization, just by analytically eliminating cause and effects, that this game being all that is talent, coaching and scheming, that emotions play a major role, and maybe the most important one...

You can see it when the Offense scores or the Defense holds opponents from scoring... and on the negative side when the Offense needs to score and the D gives up the points...

Over the last 3-4 games this team is feeding most of their emotions from the negative side, they are keeping it inside their locker rooms week in and week out...

A win will help them straighten out the ship, but it seems (IMO) that the locker room is devided and the "Dark Side," is still strong with those...

3. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well, I suspect the main thing is the shift from passing to running the ball has finally happened, which means we won't be blown out, but we are not going to score very many points, which means D and ST has to continue to improve along with the running game.

I suspect Bush will have a big game vs the Chiefs as well.

4. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    Disagree. Our coaching staff shows it can gameplay well, hence our good starts lately, but Sparno and Co. Have shown me zero ability to adjust during the course of the game. While some of that may be due to injuries, that's only a partially valid excuse

mommabilly likes this.
  5. mommabilly

mommabilly No riders allowed

May 3, 2010
    Lest we all forget, the Giants run defense is one of the worst in the league. Giants are giving up over 130 yards per game average in 2011. Only the Rams 165 yds per game , Colts 144 yards per game and Lions 137 yards per game,are worse then the Giants. So yes, I imagine this is why we ran so much against them and were successful. It was a good game plan for 3 quarters then the bottom fell out.

Anytime you are facing a fast pass rushing Defense front, the run usually works. We also used some decent counter plays against the Giants which I have not seen all year. LOL, crap, just take the one Moore ran in for a TD. Have not used that this season at all. Not saying it would work all the time but sure was pretty last week.

Lions are another prime example. Excellent Defensive line against the pass and putting pressure on the QB. But, when it comes to the rush, RBs simply run right past the Lions attacking defensive lineman and DEs. Its kind of like the old saying, you live by the blitz and you die by the blitz. If you run the right plays you can overtake a defenses agressiveness but only for so long. Sooner or later they adjust, as the Giants did and then the offense has to adjust.

This is what happened in the Giants game. We had good success with the run in the first half. Giants adjusted the second half and stopped it and we did what to counter their adjustment ? Really not sure but whatever it was it did not work.

6. mommabilly

May 3, 2010
    Good post. Its the game adjustments we seem to be lacking on. Seems like if a play works in one half they just keep running it and running it regardless of what adjustments were thrown at us. This is a reason why things go south second half of 3rd quarter and 4th quarter for us week after week. Well that and our pass defense if you want to call it that,is horrid at best.

7. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Ran the ball last week as well, neither are great run defenses, then again rarely do we take advantage of our opponents' weaknesses this yr.

8. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Arrowhead has a grass field, thus Bush probably won't do well. Daniel Thomas on the other hand, very well might if he's able to stay healthy.

9. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Did not realize they had changed it over to grass R4.

Imo, a lot will depend on who plays LG and RT for us,

Colombo/Garner..would be fine, not optimal
    Garner/Incognito...would be fine, not great, but fine
    Colombo/Incognito with Garner on the bench..we screwed.

10. ExplosionsInDaSky

ExplosionsInDaSky Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    Garner has been decent in my opinion.
    Sundays game against KC I hope is a "round the corner" game for Reggie Bush. He played great against the Giants last week and i hope he can continue to prove his worth. I really root for Bush so it would be nice to see another big game from him.

11. mommabilly

May 3, 2010
    Yeah its been grass since they removed the old astro turf in the early 90s. There was talk of installing field turf on the recent renovation but it never happened.

padre31 likes this.
  12. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    I loved seeing Reggie Bush run. He's been impressive over the last 3 games.

13. bgbdwolf31313

bgbdwolf31313 Junior Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Hinesville, GA
    Yes while there wer good things to take away from the game, you just knew they were going to blow it in the end. I might not be a SFLer, but I sure as hell do not have any faith in this abortion of a team whatsoever.