1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some starters must become stars for Miami

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by ATVZ400, Mar 28, 2010.

1. ATVZ400

ATVZ400 Senior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    parts unknown, NJ
    Some starters must become stars for Miami
    http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/03/28/1551229/some-starters-must-become-stars.html

the 23rd likes this.
  2. Dorfdad

Dorfdad Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Nothing new here, the problem with the way the Dolphins are developing and acquiring talent is not based on STAR quality. They are looking for ROLE players Versatile players to move around the board.

Every team needs players to step up and rise to the occasion, The Dolphins are not unique in that manner. Anyone expecting Chad Henning to turn into Peyton Manning is crazy. Or anyone expecting our wideouts to suddenly become Jerry Rice as well.

I don;t see anyone stepping up form that list to become PRO-BOWLERS this year. The one with the most potential is Wake, but that depends on his playing time and covering skill improvements.

Next Vontae has potential to be a shut down corner in a year or two..

3. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    ATVZ400 likes this.
  4. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

I think it's more an indictment of what they expect from those guys and now is the time for it to show thru. All of those guys, we've been waiting for them to 'break out', well Sparano is simply saying..."Now's your time, boys !"

5. Rhody Phins Fan

Rhody Phins Fan Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    This seems like a really bad way to put together a team. Role players are nice but they should surround star quality players.

6. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    it all begins w/ expectations

7. PHINANALYST

PHINANALYST Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2008
    North Carolina
    we don't need any of these players to be 'stars' ... we just need them to do their job ... winning will make them 'stars' ...

IF we need these guys to become 'stars' to win ... then we are in deep, deep trouble.

and i don't think we are -- not in the slightest ... we are in a very good position -- so long as we can effectively address our current 3 shortfalls (OLB, S, WR), and improve depth in 4 others (DE/NT/ILB/CB) ....

8. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Ronnie Brown needs to be the star that his talent demands..One of the most gifted players in the NFL, needs to step up.

Hope he's not eating twinkies while he's nursin that Lisfranc.

9. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Step it up? How much more did you want him to do last season before he got hurt?

More like he needs to stay healthy than step it up.

10. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    ok, stay healthy :wink2:..I just see an mvp season in there if he just stayed healthy..There were some games where I thought he didnt play well in last year though. However, he's so talented, I just want him to reach his potential, so I mess with him sometimes.

11. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

This is more relative to coaching than players being vs. becoming "stars". I think Nolan will help us big time in getting some of our new or under performing defensive players. Only worry I have is the adjustment to a new scheme, however he didn't seem to have much of a problem with that in Denver.

A second year under "Gugs" as our OL coach should show some serious improvement in the play of our OL. IMHO he really showed me a LOT last year in his first season with us. Now he has the backup talent and player talent overall to make ours one of the best OL's in the NFL. I think last year weren't we top 5 even with the injuries to Smiley and Grove, plus the changeout at RG from Thomas?

IMHO this is not about finding stars, it is about developing players into solid performers and giving them the coaching to reach their maximum potential. Meaning some of them WILL become "stars", since this regime has really raised the talent level on this team.

Now it is time for the coaches to get the most out of that increased talent level. I think that's what Sparano means. JMVHO

12. LandShark13

LandShark13 New Member

Oct 20, 2009
    North Miami
    It's like reading a fortune cookie :lol:

13. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    funny you should say that
    here I am in a Chinese restaurant
    just finished up a plate of snow peas & shrimp