1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

some other observations

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by the 23rd, Aug 18, 2009.

1. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    some other observations:
    1) offensive line needs more game play to establish timing. have thought & posted from the beginning it would take them until game 4 of the regular season to gel. however. it was a good start. now the new unit can begin the corrections & finishing touches that will allow them to play to potential.
    2) what to do with little Chris Williams? certainly looks like a player to me.
    3) the promise of Ernest Wilford delivered @ TE? he took one giant step to redemption & a 2009 roster spot.
    4) Henne is an understudy. Give him as much time as possible in the pre-season. the guy is not ready to step up for Pennington if he goes down. It would be a tragedy.
    5) Wake got his first NFL sack or was that called back? OLB's strong. defense very good. looks like Smith & Will Allen @ this point. thought that Jason Allen did well. vonte & green had a really bad night.
    6) Ricky looks very sharp & ready to explode onto the season. liked Hillard, he's developing well & yes we could (probably won't) carry a 5th RB in the Stable, especially if the become/intend to become a run first offense.
    7) is Folsom the real deal? in many ways the guy reminds me of a fledgling Zach Thomas: comes out of relative obscurity, excellent tackling, a little undersized fo ILB excellent lateral pursuit & intelligent w/ a nose for the ball. Who knows what the future holds. certainly didn't do himself any harm with the interception on his first night out in the NfL.

are going to be some extremely difficult cuts made this season

2. my 2 cents

my 2 cents Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2007
    NC Mountains
    That was a Henning/Lee play design catch and run and had more to do with design than with ability...it was basically a fake WR screen under where all EW had to do was not F up and run north..........personally I saw nothing from younger TE's and Wilford. I would watch ILB and TE for potential waiver claims at the cut to 53.,,,all Imho only.

3. bbqpitlover

bbqpitlover Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Maine
    I think it's going to take more than ONE catch from Wilford to convince me he should be carried on this team as TE, but until then Wilford is still a goat.Henne played without emotion, the guy needs to project confidence and leadership ship on and off the field, the good news is that Pennington has it again you can feel it and see it. I was disappointed in our offensive line creating holes in the run game, but Ricky took what he had and made the most of it. I was pleased with what I saw from Ginn he got open and caught the ball, this is definitely a step in the right direction for him.
    Chris Williams showed flash on kick and punt returns this guy might just find himself with a job in September. Vonte Davis has a miserable debut with the phins he really stunk up the place, he needs to remember this is the NFL, but I guess its good this is only preseason. Eric Green deserves a nickname like toast or something he looked awful.
    Our 1st team defense looked pretty good, both JT and Porter got a sack and they shutdown the running game. Pat White sure can run, his throwing didn't look too hot to me. The game was pretty boring, but it's better than no game at all and I look forward to the game this Saturday.

4. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    Friend my2cents:

Wilford had a good night by design or luck he had his talent @ hand to take advantage of the play. I don't know anything more about what's going on that anyone else. all I know is:

1) Martin was a WR transformed to TE by GreenBay. Wilford is a WR being transformed into a TE by Miami. 2) nothing on the radar w/ our Rookie TE's & Martin appears to be suffering from a recurring groin injury. 3) Wilford has had a decent TrainingCamp & appears to be adapting quickly to the TE/HB concept. 4) the TriFecta makes very few mistakes. Wilford was studied & the price was paid, after they thought the guy would be a solid contributor. Maybe, he just had a bad year. It happens. Or maybe he really is a TE/HB in WR disguise & they just now figured it out. 5) one touch down in preseason does not make a season nor does it guarantee a roster spot. but it won the game & bodes well for his chances to step up in 2009.
    Run Ricky Run!

game two coming up!

my 2 cents likes this.
  5. my 2 cents

my 2 cents Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2007
    NC Mountains
    All good legitimate points.

6. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    He looked confident all night.

djphinfan likes this.
  7. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    wouldn't want to head into this season with Henne in command of the team
    he looked more like Beck than Joe Flacco & certainly no Chad Pennington.
    Chad the Lesser needs all the work he can get in preseason.
    he's far from being ready to start in 2009 :no: there is no QB controversy
    the Pennington Renaissance continues:up: