1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some interesting trends to Consider regarding playoff teams, QBs, and offense...

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by MonstBlitz, Jan 3, 2011.

1. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    22 QBs threw for over 3,000 yards this season. This is an NFL record.

Here are the playoff teams -

Saints
    Seahawks
    Jets
    Colts
    Ravens
    Chiefs
    Packers
    Eagles
    Steelers
    Falcons
    Bears
    Patriots

Teams in bold are teams that in one way or another spent at least a first round pick on a QB.

Add to that list, the Patriots and Saints. While not first round picks, I think we can all agree they are premiere QBs in this league.

Now add to that list Michael Vick. While he has been a big surprise this season, he is a former #1 overall pick and has proven himself to be a very good QB this season.

That leaves us with the Chiefs and the Seahawks. Matt Cassell, while I think it's hard to call him an elite QB, was crucial to the success of this team. When he didn't play this season the Chiefs offense was completely ineffective. The Seahawks are definitely the worst off at QB, and it's no wonder they are a 7-9 team and only in because of the complete ineptitude of the NFC West.

Ok, obviously the extremely long winded point I'm trying to make is that QBs are crucial to the success of NFL teams. And a good deal of the teams in the playoffs this year made a REAL investment into the QB position. The Saints did not spend draft picks, but paid handily for Brees. The Patriots were extremely lucky and the other two teams can expect an early exit from the playoffs, being worse off at QB.

Most of you have heard my rap, or someone elses about how the NFL has changed since 2005. It's become a passing league. You don't win anymore with a mediocre QB, strong running game and strong defense. You have to be able to throw the ball first and foremost. Last offseason I made the point that our front office was too old fashioned for today's NFL. While I was temporarily placated by the signing of Brandon Marshall, they have still proven to be old fashioned spending most of our draft picks on defense. While some of those picks paid off, our defense was fine without Odrick this year and we really could have used the offense that first round pick could have been spent on. I won't criticize them for not going after a QB, because most of us thought Henne could be the guy.

Bottom line is this: We have hired every kind of coach - Big name coach, college coach, no name coaches, successful coordinators, etc.

We have fired offensive coordinator after offensive coordinator who have gone on to have success with different teams and better QBs, i.e. Mike Mularkey (P.S. I still think Henning stinks and needs to be fired / retire)

We have tried just about everything except making a REAL investment into the position that seems to matter most in today's NFL and that's the QB. It's time whoever is making decisions for us in 2011 gets the memo. The game has changed. Get a QB, and don't be afraid to invest a first round draft pick! I'm not sure how that will work for us this year picking at 15, but if there's a franchise prospect there at our pick and we pass on him, then we just don't get it as an NFL franchise.

gandalfin likes this.
  2. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    well winning with a mediocre QB was never an option. It was an exception. You need to at least get to a middle of the road QB which we don't have. Four out of six AFC teams run a running based run first offense so there is no reason to switch to a spread type offense but we do need an upgrade at QB. At this point you cant count on Henne improving, you can hope but you cant go into next season with him as your starter. We have to get a middle of the road QB short term. Matt Hasselbeck, Billy Volek and Bruce Gradkowski are probably the closest but neither of them is really good enough. McNabb, Palmer or Kolb might have to be pursued. Drafting one would take three years to develop and we're ready to win now so I dont know if thats even an option

3. 2socks

2socks Rebuilding Since 1973

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    Henne makes or breaks this team. Firing Sparano for what everyone wanted to see...................him play..................is bullsh*t

GMJohnson likes this.
  4. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Hasselbeck, Volek and Gradkowski don't do anything to improve this team, IMHO. McNabb, Palmer would provide a veteran presence for a rookie, but should not eliminate our need to draft a QB. Kolb is the one guy who might have the upside to be counted on as a starter, but it would probably take a 2nd round pick, and do we really want to tempt fate on a QB with another 2nd round pick? We don't even have one, so that's probably out unless we can get him for a 3rd.

Disagree with your assertion that it take 2-3 years to develop a QB. Look at Flacco, Ryan, Bradford, Stafford (when he isn't injured) and GASP! even Sanchez to some degree. True, this doesn't guarantee us similar success. But it's time to try.

5. Zod

Zod Ruler of the Universe

Nov 25, 2007
    Thank you....... It's the reason I don't think he will be fired.

2socks likes this.
  6. gafinfan

gafinfan gunner Club Member

7. Zod

Zod Ruler of the Universe

Nov 25, 2007
    I say it's interesting because (no matter your take) it eerily similar to the same player.

8. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    i'm not opposed to drafting a QB. I'm just wondering if we do we still have to bring in a FA vet or trade for one and we dont get immediate help for 2011. The only QB out of that list who has really developed into a franchise QB is Ryan though Flacco is close. Bradford, Stafford and Sanchez all suck when you compare them to veteran QBs. They're ok for rookies or two year players but none of them is primetime yet. I wouldnt be opposed to drafting a QB if we couple that with signing a vet. Give me Mallett and Gradkowksi and keep Henne for another year and get rid of Thigpen and Pennington. This way we have a scrub vet who can function (similar to Fiedler) for a year or two and we have two young QBs (Henne, Mallett) who we try to develop into something. You can substitute different names

MarinePhinFan and MonstBlitz like this.
  9. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Yeah, I can certainly agree with that. Especially the Mallett part. If there's any way possible we can land him.

10. 2socks

2socks Rebuilding Since 1973

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    I certainly hope not. I just wonder if Ross's inexperience will get Sparano fired, or better yet his pocket book. People are pi$$ED and I don't blame them. We could have easily won another 3-4 games had Henne played better and our kicker made 1 of 4 that day

11. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    Flacco and Ryan took 3 years to develop into great QB's and Bradford is not developed either.

12. Hexonx

Hexonx Active Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Vick was a first round pick, I know the Eagles didn't draft him, but still a first round pick.

13. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Sure, Ryan and Flacco are still developing but they were good enough out of the gate to get their teams into the playoffs year 1. Bradford had a great year for a rookie.

I mentioned Vick was a #1 overall pick.

14. DolfanJake

DolfanJake Banned

Jan 15, 2010
    West Miami-Dade County
    and guess what, that field goal kicker probably saved Sparano from being fired during the regular season. Its because of him we won in Buffalo & Green Bay, and he saved us in several others. I hate that people are holding one game against this man that has been rock solid for most of the past 3 years.