1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So we lost....how many are throwing the towel in?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by vt_dolfan, Sep 14, 2014.

1. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

This place, if my predictions are correct for the first half of the season (4-4), is going to be a full-on jump-off-the-ledge brigade. I also predict a 6-2 second half, only losing to NE/Denver, for 10-6 and the playoffs. Fully still believe that.

We laid an egg to the same extent we have against the Bills the last couple years. It's not a shocker, many of us predicted a loss. I'd love to see more from Philbin in this match-up, but he's not been up to it.

The team has an opportunity to find out what they have in Williams this week, with the other guys out. I like his running style and vision TONS more than Miller's. Not sure how well he catches yet, but it can't possibly be worse than Miller. Knowshon going down is going to hurt for a while, but the kids have an opportunity to lessen that hit.

We should get a lot of depth/starting ability back this week with Jones and Jordan.

If our O line can do as well as they did in week 1, Tannehill should show improve in consistency and accuracy throughout the year. James is one helluva great pick so far.

2. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    I think we'll be 3-1 at the bye...which is pretty good, I had us going 2-2 before the season started. As for the playoffs, I don't see us making it, 3-1 could easily turn into 3-3 after the bye with matchups against Green Bay and Chicago. The more I look at our schedule the more I see 7 to 8 wins.

3. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    you know VT better than that.

4. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Never made a lame excuse for being wrong before..Im wrong plenty of times. Im not afraid of being wrong..just like Im not afraid of saying I believe we make the playoffs.

PhinFan1968 likes this.
  5. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Thanks Deej

6. Rick 1966

Rick 1966 Professional Hipshooter

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    We still might make the playoffs, but our injuries are already piling up. The only saving grace here is that the AFC South and the AFC North are having down seasons (at least that's how it seems at this point). I have an awful feeling though, that this might mean it will come down to us and Buffalo vying for the last playoff spot and we have to win out to get it. And you all know how that will turn out.

7. JMHPhin

JMHPhin Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Ohio
    Sunday everything stacked against us bills had everything go right, we had injured lbs lost our best rb and their dline is a monster line vs our brand new starting 5. Top on I do believe RT is pressing too much and needs to loosen up and just let it fly.

I am far from panic mode.

8. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2013
    Norfolk VA
    It means doing yardwork at 1pm on sunday, no longer visiting the phins message board, only watching a few plays of monday night football, and generally pooh-poohing when football comes up in conversation.

No, i'm not throwing in towel after 1 loss. Also i should note, drew brees looked like pooh in the first half last week. Luck was inaccurate at times last night, and Nick Foles had poor ball placement.

9. Rick 1966

Rick 1966 Professional Hipshooter

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    I am years past panic mode. I'm even past depression...past it years ago. Now I'm just at the point of numbed acceptance.

10. rdhstlr23

rdhstlr23 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    VT is a good dude.

I don't think it's even about being wrong or right. I didn't think Miami was going to win in Buffalo, but VT made a similar statement about us coming back to win that game. I didn't need him to come out and say he was wrong about coming back to win.

Honestly, it's refreshing. I've said this many times before, but I wish I could still be optimistic. I can't anymore. Not with the history of the same things happening again and again to this franchise, and most recently, under Joe Philbin & Ryan Tannehill specifically. Until something changes, or they prove me wrong, I'll continue to bang the drum that change is needed on both fronts.

With that said, I would be so damn happy if I was wrong. And it's not about eating crow, it's about being happy as hell as a Dolphins fan. I'll say I was wrong, whatever. That means diddly to me as it compares to the enjoyment of watching the team perform well and have success.

My take? I thought Miami was a 6-10 team. I think they're talented enough to make the playoffs and should make the playoffs. They won't though, because of inadequacy at the QB position specifically. Joe Philbin is neither inadequate or adequate. He's JAG. An interchangeable part like 70% of the coaches in the NFL.

11. jcliving

jcliving Active Member

Aug 19, 2014
    This game was lost by special teams and the offensive line. I am still positive about this team's potential.

12. JJ_79

JJ_79 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2012
    Germany
    I'm have doubts about the season and our future, just because history shows me that. If they would have won against Buffalo, I would be more optemistic, but after Moreno is injured and Tannehill doesn't seem to have improved, I'm worried. It's not like our team totally sucks but we're no contenders either, just something in the middle of the pack but not good enough for the playoffs (mho). If Tannehill improves and we somehow find a running game with out Moreno and our D plays like the way it used to, then I'll start to believe in this team again. But right now they all have to show me, that I can believe in them again, untill then I'm curios what the next games have to offer.

13. Dolphans Unite!

Dolphans Unite! Banned

Aug 17, 2014
    I think you have to wonder who is going to make plays to move the team down the field. We saw Buffalo, with a mediocre or worse quarterback, make plays with Sammy Watkins and CJ Spiller. Who are those players on the Dolphins?

14. JMHPhin

JMHPhin Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Ohio
    Its easy to get caught up in the "here we go again" feeling, but for me I believe that's its possible that's true, but if I believe that things will never change and this year cant be that year it does change, then its too depressing to watch.

15. traderdave

traderdave Football is life

Sep 6, 2014
    South Florida
    It's waaaaaaaay to early to give up on a season, despite the possibly irreversible shortcomings of the QB, HC, backup RB's etc. The next two games are very winnable, and we could REALISTICALLY host Green Bay at 3-1. If your expectations, at the beginning of the season, were that the Dolphins would roll over every opponent, you were kidding yourself. With this team, I'm going to temper my expectations, and hope for improvement. The OL should get better as the year goes on, the defense is already decent, plus we're getting Jordan and Jones back one day soon, we have a good group of WR's, and a good TE. If we can piece together a running game to take the burden off of Tannehill, we have a good shot at a successful year. Die-hard fans ride the rollercoaster with their team. What else are you gonna do?

16. rdhstlr23

rdhstlr23 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    And by the way, I'm not giving up on the season. I'm just using past history as an indicator on what to expect this year. I'm sure there will be points where my optimism will rise, my pessimism will bottom out, etc. However, at the end of the year, as I predicted before the season, we won't make the playoffs...although we have a playoff caliber team...which sucks.

17. JJ_79

JJ_79 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2012
    Germany
    True, history has taught us that, they've got to show and proof it's diffrent this year!

18. finwin

finwin Active Member

Apr 30, 2013
    Jamestown, NC
    Uhhh Accuracy?

19. DPlus47

DPlus47 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 14, 2008
    Yep. If he had that, some of the other, intangible stuff would probably start to come. It's amazing what being able to execute plays can do for someone's confidence, swagger, leadership, etc.

20. DPlus47

Jul 14, 2008
    Not throwing in the towel. I am always careful to temper expectations, but that doesn't mean I am not rooting for this team every week. I'm not the type to cheer for a better draft pick or losing to get people fired.

This team could make the playoffs. If it does, it's going to be a struggle to get there.

This team could flame out again and not make the playoffs. If that happens, it's going to be difficult to watch.

MrClean likes this.
  21. Finatik

Finatik Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

May 2, 2014
    SO Cal
    Like I said after the 1st week win - Not every team that lost is as bad as they appear and not every team that won is as good as they appear.

Look at SD and Seattle. San Diego looked horrible in their loss to the Cards and come back to beat a Seattle team that everyone had already given the Lombardi too.

I have concerns but I'm going to assess after we get to the bye week.

22. DPlus47

Jul 14, 2008
    Good points.

Anything that has happened outdoors in Southern California over the last 4 days or so is rendered pointless because of the heat. Seattle is still the team to beat, IMO.

23. jcliving

jcliving Active Member

Aug 19, 2014
    Given there are 22 new players and three new coaches, I do not understand using past history to judge this team.

24. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

They lost by one point. Almost won.

25. Zach13

Zach13 Season Ticket Holder

Nov 28, 2007
    Miami
    I thought we were an 7-9 to 9-7 team to begin the season. I still think that.

Still too many holes at LB & OL.
    We don't have an elite QB, RB or #1WR. I consider Wallace to be a very good #2WR and we have several good slot receivers, but no stud #1.

26. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Miami's roster, while solid, still doesn't have any real blue-chip players. You have Cameron Wake and...maybe Brent Grimes belongs in the conversation, but I personally wouldn't consider him one. Albert and Pouncey would probably be next in line. But Miami doesn't have anyone outside of Wake that you really have fear or gameplan for. I think Dion Jordan has the *potential* to elevate himself into that conversation eventually if he get his head on straight, but that's a long shot.

27. Finatik

Finatik Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

May 2, 2014
    SO Cal
    I watched the Cards game. SD looked horrible. Even if they only ended up losing by one.

28. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007

Here's where I'm at at this point fwiw, it's really hard to figure out but we can tell something isn't going well with him, we can see that his individual performance is subpar, I think we all can agree with that, despite the non Qb variables that do impact numbers and performance.

What I think is going on in his mind is he's practicing well with his teammates and the speed is good,in practice,and he's throwing to his spots accurately, (I mean how many times have we heard that term this offseason and camp?), " this offense is about throwing to spots on the field" I've heard it a dozen times, however when he gets in the game, everything is faster, receivers are played differently in coverage, those "spots" get moved, and he's not adjusting..if anyone thinks this dude is not in his own head then post a gif of the deep ball to Wallace in the first, he threw that like quite frankly like a pu!!y.

He's thinking way to much, he's lost some confidence, and he's not engaging his legs at all, ( I heard a Bernie kosar reference the other day, lol) maybe we just gotta listen to Arians on this and give him another 6 games to see if he can stop thinking so much and just play, bahananananana, just be the ball Danny..I mean Tanny"

finwin likes this.
  29. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    In two weeks I'll know how to rate this team. Its aLl going to come down to the oline again. We looked good in week one and got annhilated last week. Saving grace for me is buffalo has the best dl I've seen this year and they are a legit playoff team barring injuries. Right now I have our oline somewhere around 16th. We'll see how they do against the chiefs. If they are top 16 I think we'll have a good year and get smoked in the playoffs by the first team we face with a dominant DL

30. ExplosionsInDaSky

ExplosionsInDaSky Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    Not gonna panic. We lost to a good Buffalo team last Sunday. The same team beat the Chicago Bears, who just beat the 49ers in their building. Anything can happen in football, and we simply do NOT match up well with the Buffalo Bills. They have had our number for the last three-four years. I didn't expect us to win that game, especially in their stadium.
    I do think some concern for Ryan Tannehill is warranted, but the O-line still has to do their job, and players still need to make plays. Not too much of that happened last Sunday.

31. finwin

finwin Active Member

Apr 30, 2013
    Jamestown, NC
    I see the same thing. On several throws, his feet were not set and that's part of the accuracy problem. Other times, especially the long ball and the throws behind receivers, he is thinking too much and not doing it by instinct. The throw to Miller that was dropped, I saw him let that rip without thinking and it was dead on target while Miller was well covered and on the move. The TD to Wallace was thrown to a spot, and many of the come backs to Wallace and Hartline are thrown before the receiver turns around and he's accurate with those and he's accurate on the move. A couple of sacks were because he held the ball too long and that is what I think will be fixed for the remainder of our games. Lazor won't stand for those coverage sacks without an outlet receiver.