1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So I did a practice draft in a 12 man leage - Tell me how I did

Discussion in 'Fantasy Football' started by slickj101, Jul 1, 2008.

Tags:
  1. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    So yea, this was a 12 man league. I drafted as if it was a keeper league also. I drafted in the 12th spot in the 1st round.

Round Pick Player

1 12 Braylon Edwards (WR/Cle)
    2 1 Tom Brady (QB/NE)
    3 12 Michael Turner (RB/Atl)
    4 1 Antonio Gates (TE/SD)
    5 12 Hines Ward (WR/Pit)
    6 1 Julius Jones (RB/Sea)
    7 12 Jerry Porter (WR/Jax)
    8 1 Chester Taylor (RB/Min)
    9 12 Philip Rivers (QB/SD)
    10 1 Jerricho Cotchery (WR/NYJ)
    11 12 Ricky Williams (RB/Mia)
    12 1 Sidney Rice (WR/Min)
    13 12 Indianapolis D (D/Ind)
    14 1 Ted Ginn Jr (WR/Mia)

Edit: Might be easier to read this way

QB:
    Brady
    Rivers

WR:
    B Edwards
    H Ward
    J Porter
    Cotchery
    Rice
    Ginn

TE:
    Gates

RB:
    Turner
    J Jones
    C Taylor
    R Williams

D:
    Indy

Whatd you guys think? I'll be in a 8 or 10 person league this year so its a lil diff, but none the less I felt like giving this 12 a shot.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2008
  2. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    Overall, C+, but potential for a B+ or A-.

azfinfanmang likes this.
  3. Regan21286

Regan21286 MCAT's, EMT's, AMCAS, ugh

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    Hard to tell how well you did without looking at who else was available but it's an okay draft.

You did well with QB's, again not sure who else was available but there could be better options at WR than Ward, can't be any better at TE, RB is not quite good and quite risky about Turner and Jones, Defense is eh. And no kicker?

4. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    It was a 12 man league so having the 12th pick really hurt. Everyone took the top tier RBs before my first pick. Owens and Moss were also gone before there too. So I took Brady and Edwards with my first 2 and then from there I tried to recover.

Kicker I left out bc I figured I could trade a few of my decent wrs and maybe a RB for an upgrade at RB and in the process, free a spot to pick up a K from the wire.

5. Regan21286

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    I never rely on a trade to help me out. Some GM's can be real sticklers and won't trade unless you're the one getting ripped off.

6. DonShula84

DonShula84 Moderator Luxury Box

Jan 3, 2008
    The RBs could hurt you. You have one good RB (Turner) who isnt a sure thing just because we havent seen be the man before, and 3 guys who are huge question marks.

7. phunwin

phunwin Happy kids are Dolfans. Luxury Box

For your sake, I'm glad it was a practice draft.

I don't wish to sound harsh, but that team stinks. You've got more questions than answers at running back, and after Edwards, your receiving corps has more risk than reward. Your only hope of contending with a team like that would be if Tom Brady repeats his 2007 performance. (He won't.)

Admittedly, having pick 12 puts you behind the 8-ball, and without knowing all the rules of the league, it's hard to truly pass judgment, but for the time being, I'm assuming that it's a standard 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 D league.

If you don't pick an RB until round 3, then you'd better carpet bomb the position in the middle rounds in hope of striking gold. But you've got two guys who are going to scramble for playing time as backups, one starter who's never had so much as 100 carries in a season, and another who's a perennial disappointment. Forget all those backup wide receivers; running backs win fantasy leagues, and yours probably wouldn't get the job done. Don't count on packaging a couple wide receivers to get an RB; it usually doesn't work that way. I like Jones as a third RB, but as a starter, I'd be scared to death.

I also hate Jerry Porter. This guy is the epitome of a career underachiever. Hines Ward is on the downslope. On the plus side, I like that Cotchery pick; that's good value.

All in all, too many WRs, not enough RBs. And if you're picking Tom Brady as your starter, why bother picking a backup until the very late rounds? Apart from his bye week, when would you play him? If Brady's injured, you're screwed anyway, so why invest heavily in insurance? Find a QB who plays a lousy pass defense on Brady's bye, pick him in round 12 or 13, and use that 9th rounder to take a flyer on a runner with some upside.

8. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    One position I never and I mean never draft in round 1 is wr. They vary every year much more so then a good RB. Yeah there are very few great wr's but every year a few good wr's have unexpectedly great years so i manage to pull a couple off waivers or in late rounds. Especially in a league that deep, you have to take RB's early.

9. phunwin

Here's the question that I, and I'm sure Boik, are both wondering: what RBs were gone by #12, that you were forced to go WR? You said that Moss and Owens were gone as well. I'm assuming no QBs or other WRs were taken, so that would mean 9 RBs were gone by your pick. For the sake of argument, let's assume that Tomlinson, Peterson, Westbrook, Jackson, Gore, Addai, Portis, Lynch and Barber were gone. (Those are the top 9 RBs according to ESPN's projections.) That leaves Larry Johnson, Willis McGahee, Ryan Grant and Willie Parker all there. What's wrong with taking one of those guys with one of your two picks? Personally, I think there are worse ways to start a team than Larry Johnson and Ryan Grant.

10. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Stay FAR FAR away from willie Parker. Miles away. Be on a different continent. Rashard Mendenhall is going to take half the carries and the goalline carries making him the primary fantasy back. Id have a hard time taking Mcgahee as well since he hasnt scored more then 8 TD's in like 3 years. But nothing would be wrong with Grant and LJ or we could also throw McFadden, Bush (especially if theres points for receptions), and the old and steady Edge in the mix since he was very consistant last year til Leinart got hurt and their offense took a step back. Jones Drew is the one that really stands out though since hes scores a nice amount of TDs and contributes everywhere. Him and LJ would have made for a $$$$ backfield that late

11. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    I believe I had the options of Portis, Parker, Bush, JD and Grant. I didnt really feel comfortable with any of them as a 1st pick so I took the best qb and wr available. Thank god Im not regularly in a 12 man league. This is the first time Ive never had a shot at a quality rb with my first pick. Obv Im not a fan of rb committees so thats why I took Jones and Turner.

12. Regan21286

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    I'd have gone with Grant, but that's just me. He saved my fantasy teams last year (especially when Ronnie went down, again).

13. DonShula84

DonShula84 Moderator Luxury Box

Jan 3, 2008
    A UCLA guy saved by a ND guy...brings a tear to my eye.

14. Regan21286

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    :lol: What can I say? I rode him hard. :shifty:

15. phunwin

Then you absolutely should have taken Portis and Grant. Portis and Grant is a nice start to a team. I'm not sure why you're down on Portis; he's exceeded 1250 yards every year in the league but one and has at least 11 TD in four of his six seasons. Grant will be big time for the Packers this year. They've got an excellent line, and they should be able to throw well enough to keep teams from stacking the line against him.

Point is, you're not going to get a perfect RB unless you're picking in the top 3 of the draft. I have the feeling you were looking for a perfect RB at 12, and that just isn't going to happen. Pretty much every RB carries at least some risk. You've got to swallow that.

If you're not a fan of RB committees, there's no reason to take Julius Jones, who's going to lose his goalline carries to TJ Duckett, and will lose some carries to Maurice Morris. If Jones exceeds 250 carries in Seattle, I will be stunned.

16. phunwin

Holy ****, did I actually imply that Parker was a top-flight RB? My apologies; that was major league brainlock on my part. Honestly, I was just reading off ESPN's projected top 15 RB list without much thought.

I too am scared to death of Willie Parker this year.

17. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Thanks for the input. I guess I am a little picky at rb. Parker is one that you could not pay me take. I also think that in a keeper league, I would really think about taking AP over LT. I cant see LT holding up for that much longer. On the other hand, Chester Taylor does take some carries from AP, rightfully so. Im just kind of skeptical to take LT 1st in a keeper before Peterson and Jackson.

18. phunwin

Peterson is 23, Tomlinson 29. You probably get another 7-8 years of top-5 production from Peterson and maybe 2 from Tomlinson. That's an absolute no-brainer in a keeper league.

19. TheAnswer385

TheAnswer385 Stay Low Run Free

Jan 7, 2008
    PA
    NEVER EVER NEVER get a WR first round

20. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Oh I agree. I think at that point a strong case can be made an ELITE QB like Peyton or Brady is more valuable then a stud RB because the difference in points depending on the format between your highest rated RB and the next group can be less then the difference between the highest rated qb and the next group. It all depends on the scoring options. :wink2: