Smiley takes large paycut in Jacksonville

5 replies

padre31padre31Luxury BoxOP
Jun 3, 2010, 08:24 PM

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/06/03/smiley-takes-a-5-million-pay-cut-in-jacksonville/

Under the three remaining years of his prior contract, Smiley was due to earn $3 million in 2010, $5 million in 2011, and $5 million in 2012.

Per a league source, Smiley's 2010 pay has been cut to $2.5 million. He'll get a $1.25 million guaranteed base salary, a $750,000 roster bonus, and a $500,000 workout bonus.

Next year and in 2012, his salary will be $2 million, with a $500,000 workout bonus.

In other words, he's gone from $13 million over three years to $8 million over three years.

So much for the uncapped year.

5 million is no small cuttings, but it is better to have a job than have to accept the Vet minimum on a 1yr deal somewhere.

jetssuckjetssuckNew Member
Jun 4, 2010, 04:03 AM

"padre31 wrote:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/06/03/smiley-takes-a-5-million-pay-cut-in-jacksonville/

5 million is no small cuttings, but it is better to have a job than have to accept the Vet minimum on a 1yr deal somewhere.

But this isn't including the "dead money" we owe him this year....at least for this season, he'll probably make even more than he was going to get just playing for us..

JS

ConuficusConuficusLuxury Box
Jun 4, 2010, 08:32 AM

"jetssuck wrote:

But this isn't including the "dead money" we owe him this year....at least for this season, he'll probably make even more than he was going to get just playing for us..

We traded him didn't we? IIRC we did, and if so, we don't have 'dead money' on our books like we would have if we Smiley was simply cut.

Maybe I'm wrong, but that's my initial thoughts on that portion of it. Interesting pick up for the Jags though; as I wonder if he would b e considered physical enough to line up on the their offensive line, although IIRC they do have a call for mobile guards in their offense.

steveincoloradosteveincoloradoNew Member
Jun 4, 2010, 12:10 PM

"padre31 wrote:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/06/03/smiley-takes-a-5-million-pay-cut-in-jacksonville/

5 million is no small cuttings, but it is better to have a job than have to accept the Vet minimum on a 1yr deal somewhere.

Has anybody found out what we got back for that trade??

jetssuckjetssuckNew Member
Jun 4, 2010, 12:52 PM

"Conuficus wrote:

We traded him didn't we? IIRC we did, and if so, we don't have 'dead money' on our books like we would have if we Smiley was simply cut.

Maybe I'm wrong, but that's my initial thoughts on that portion of it. Interesting pick up for the Jags though; as I wonder if he would b e considered physical enough to line up on the their offensive line, although IIRC they do have a call for mobile guards in their offense.

I was basing it on an article I read that listed some players that we owed "dead money" to this year and Smiley was listed amongst them. If I can find the article, I'll post it...

JS

SamphinSamphinNew Member
Jun 10, 2010, 02:40 PM

"Conuficus wrote:

We traded him didn't we? IIRC we did, and if so, we don't have 'dead money' on our books like we would have if we Smiley was simply cut.

Maybe I'm wrong, but that's my initial thoughts on that portion of it. Interesting pick up for the Jags though; as I wonder if he would b e considered physical enough to line up on the their offensive line, although IIRC they do have a call for mobile guards in their offense.

Trading or cutting a player still accelerates the bonus money to this year's cap number, no? I was always under the impression that all guaranteed monies jump up once the player is let off the team in any fashion.

If true, then I would tend to think that JS is right in that we have dead money tied up in Smiley...which makes me frowney.