1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Small-school sleeper attracts interest from Dolphins.

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by smahtaz, Apr 21, 2012.

1. smahtaz

smahtaz Pimpin Ain't Easy

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/tony_pauline/04/19/small.school.sleepers/index.html

http://www.wusports.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=2225

[video=youtube;Kabuo9fQsh0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kabuo9fQsh0[/video]

MrClean, djphinfan and CaribPhin like this.
  2. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I'd hoped this would be about Adrian Hamilton.

smahtaz likes this.
  3. Laces Out

Laces Out Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2011
    Omaha, Ne
    This isn't meant to be a shot, but is Ireland trying to find another Romo, or is this a diamond in the rough that Philbin found?

4. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    April Fools? No?

5. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    I think it's a good question. When Ireland was questioned about QBs earlier in the offseason, there were some clips posted. It was the vids where he was sitting in the bleachers answering questions. I've tried to find the exact clip but haven't had any luck so far.

Anyway, he was talking about QBs and he mentioned specifically Tony Romo and Tom Brady. Something to the affect of, "Look at Tony Romo, and Tom Brady. There's QBs out there, we just have to find them. This leads me to believe Ireland would rather bargain basement shop for a QB rolling the dice on a late round prospect rather than make a real investment in the position. This, IMHO, is arrogance at it's highest level and a problem. Most of the 31 other teams in the NFL understand the value of the QB position. The odds of a team passing up on a passer talented enough to make it in the NFL until the later rounds are not good at all. Sure, we all know the exceptions to the rule, but that's exactly what they are. Exceptions. Outliers. Sure, if Ireland is successful he'll look like a genius. But if the much more likely scenario plays out, late round prospects not cutting it and suffering more mediocre QB play, then this Dolphin team continues to go nowhere.

I know we need to let the draft play out before going too far into this. But the more I hear and read into the tea leaves, there's little chance Ireland takes a QB round 1.

The only way I'd be happy about a draft pick like this was if it was to double up on the position, but given the presence of Matt Moore and David Garrard I highly doubt that's the plan.

Rick 1966 and Laces Out like this.
  6. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    If Ireland takes Tanny/Weeden/or even Wilson he gets a pass from me on QBs. If he forgoes those guys and goes with a bargain basement solution, my mind will officially be made up and I will firmly be in the fire Ireland camp.

MonstBlitz likes this.
  7. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    And what if he picks Cousins or Osweiler with either Weeden or Wilson still on the board (let's say in rd 2)?

What if he takes Wilson, but not until rd 5? Does he still get a pass because it's someone you like? Because to me, rd 5 on a QB would be bargain basement.

I'm just trying to figure out if you're only going to give him a pass if he takes a QB you like, or if he spends a significant resource on a QB he deems worthy (even if it's one you don't like).

8. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    I know you're not asking me, but given the success rate of QBs drafted after the first round, nothing short of a first round pick is an appropriate level of investment in the position given our need. Just my opinion.

9. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    So if he got Weeden in rd 2 it would be worse than taking Weeden at 8 simply because the pick used wasn't a 1st rounder?

I want Tannehill in rd 1, but beyond him I really don't think any other QB is worth a 1st rounder this year (obviously excluding Luck and RG3). Given that, I just can't bash Ireland if he takes a QB elsewhere (assuming Tannehill is gone by our pick). Need or not.

xphinfanx, MrClean and azfinfanmang like this.
  10. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Typically a Qb like this is a developmental type, like M Flynn for the packers.

Laces Out likes this.
  11. smahtaz

He's on the list. 22 sacks this season is pretty crazy.

12. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    The Packers like to take shots at developmental QB's. Chances are they are dropping Devlin and bringing in a more WCO type QB as the developmental guy.

Laces Out likes this.
  13. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    "First round quality" talent is my line. The guys you mentioned don't have "first round quality" talent. I know not everyone thinks Tanny/Weeden/Wilson have "first round quality" talent, but most scout/guru type people do think they do they just think there's a flaw, like inexperience, age or height. The guys you mentioned are not that well off.

14. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Come on man, wtf, the man is a Gm of a football team, his job is to find football players who present great value..He's probably looking at the kid as an undrafted free agent, not some silly ego notion, Iam glad he has a fu&$ ing ego, he's supposed to believe in his abilities to find good football players.I don't give a crap that he's perceived as a dick, as long as he shows he's very good at finding talent, especially players that present great value for the franchise (cam wake), he can be a pric..

Your criticizing hypothetically that he's looking at this kid because he doesn't want to sacrifice early, you don't know that..he could be just doing his job..Do you know if he was responsible for the acquisition of Tony Romo?, if he was then why do you criticize the man for due due diligence on a player, that's the name of the Gm game man.

I understand how he comes off, but none of us know what he was responsible for up until last year, personnel wise, all I want to see is one more draft to come to a conclusion on this mans eye, cause really that's all the matters.

ChrisKo and mullingan like this.
  15. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    If Tannehill is gone, he gets a little bit of a pass. But he better have a back up plan. You can't just keep excusing a guy because the guy he wanted wasn't available. Because at some point you have to do what the Redskins did. I'm not saying he should traded up for Tannehill, but maybe he should have been in play for RGIII. Eventually you have to pay what it takes to make sure you get the guy. Can't just keep saying, "Oh well, woe is me, another team took the guy I wanted. I tried!"

If he got Weeden in round 2, that could be ok considering he's kind of a tough prospect to judge. If he falls into the 2nd, I'm guessing it would be his age and not talent that put him there.

16. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007

So, if he passes on Tannehill, just because you think its a mistake, it is definitely a mistake?

Pretty sure he has MUCH more insight to Tannehill than you will ever have...... IJS.

Don't be surprised when we pass on Tannehill, then 15-20 other picks do to.

IF he picks Tannehill, but Tannehill is exactly what I think he is, and that's a 3 year developmental player...at best, does he get a pass?

Might want to let Ireland know what the rules are before you burn his house down.

xphinfanx, siciliansith and MrClean like this.
  17. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

Not just Romo. Ireland and the Cowboys gave Matt Moore his first shot in the NFL as well.

EDIT: After watching the video, the guy can make some spectacular throws. A lot of them had nothing to do with weak defensive talent either. Just need to remember that highlights are meant to highlight the good. I wonder how his complete games looked.

18. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I don't think Ireland is going to draft Tannehill in the first round. I think Weeden will be off the board by the time the Dolphins draft in round two. Wilson may be a possibility with one of the Dolphins third round selections but it would not surprise me if Ireland instead decides to wait until the last three rounds of the draft to take a chance on one of the QB's still on the board, such as Simoneau, or Kellen Moore.

19. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I don't see any chance of us taking Kellen Moore. Even in the 7th.

20. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Well strictly from the highlight tape, he looks comfortable in the pocket, has good fundamentals and mechanics, good ball handler, keeps his senses in the pocket when it gets constricted, seems to have very good vision of the field, and seems to have nice accuracy, the one thing I see that is negative is arm strength..Could be someone were looking at in the undrafted free agent market.

21. PerfectTeam

PerfectTeam Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    I think he would make a nice developmental pickup. First name that came to mind was Graham Harrell.

22. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    The Az man baby, good to see ya my brother..

23. FanMarino

FanMarino Season Ticket Holder

Nov 24, 2007
    whoever we get at QB stick Moore and Gerrard as our QB for next 12mths. I just cant get hyped about long term QBs when we are seriously average on Offense. Would love to throw a rookie QB in with a decent O-Line and Receiving threats. It gives him a chance. Get me a bucket. Been feeling sick since 2001.

24. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Pretty much the only rule is you need a franchise QB to win in this league. And Ireland hasn't done anything to find us one yet.

25. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Considering there have only been 3 QBs to win the AFC, and no QB drafted since 2004 has won the AFC, I would say that's a rather difficult task.

26. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Which can be made all the more difficult by only looking for one in the bargain bin, if that's what he's doing.

27. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    Right. But to this point he hasn't passed on any QB that's made a Super Bowl, 1st rounders included.

smahtaz likes this.
  28. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    lol ok.

He hasn't picked any either.

29. smahtaz

How does one pick one if none exist?

Sanchize is the only one to come close.

30. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Given the fact that only 1 starting QB of 32 wins a SB every year and the fact that we're talking about a 4 year period (1 if you think he was just Parcells errand boy the first 3 years) that's not saying much.

It's more about finding a QB that could get a team to a superbowl. I think Matt Ryan could. Joe Flacco has come close. Andy Dalton made the playoffs in his rookie campaign.

31. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    Right. The QB they brought in 08 (Pennington) performed better than Ryan and Flacco. The QB they brought in last year performed better than Andy Dalton. If the standard is finding a QB the caliber of Joe Flacco, then I think he's met that.

Really the only mishandling of the QB position was starting Henne instead of others who were better players.

32. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Is that on Ireland though?

Stringer Bell and smahtaz like this.
  33. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    Hard to say. You draft a QB in the second round and you probably have to give him a shot on the field, for better or worse.

Last year was tricky because of the lockout. It was a shortened off season and Moore couldn't even practice right away.