1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Skyrim

Discussion in 'Gaming Forum' started by Zeke0123, Oct 30, 2011.

1. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    And the cat's in the cradle and the silver spoon
    Little boy blue and the man on the moon
    When you comin' home dad?
    I don't know when, but we'll get together then son
    You know we'll have a good time then

2. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    I have my first on the way in April. I'm hoping against hope I finish the game before he / she arrives!

3. muscle979

muscle979 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    No don't finish the game yet. You're going to need something to do every night when the baby won't sleep.

4. Vengeful Odin

Vengeful Odin Norse Mod

Dec 2, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    I'm around 80 hours into the game now (which by the way, is probably the most hours I've put into a game since Final Fantasy X, maybe even Final Fantasy VII) and there's definitely a light at the end of the tunnel when it comes to quests. I've wrapped up several side quest storylines (Companions, Brotherhood), I'm in the process of wrapping another (Thieve's Guild), which means I've really only got the College of Winterhold quests and Civil War quest storylines to finish. (Along with the General Side Quests and the Daedric quests). I'm guessing I'll still need another 20 to 40 hours just to wrap those up, maybe even more, depending on how busy they are.

What's awesome about this game is that the Radiant (spin-off) quests never really end. You can always take a small job for the Companions, Brotherood, or Thieve's Guild (and, I'm guessing, Winterhold College), and the game will continue to offer these indefinitely. Pretty awesome, really.

Outside of the quests I still have significant work to do. I'd like to discover every location (something I haven't done, even 80 hours in), and ideally, clear every dungeon (which is going to be, I suspect, a very daunting task). Even if I don't do that I still play to get all the Achievements on this game, some of which I suspect will be a challenge.

Regarding a level cap, I've seen a lot of folks asking about one. There isn't a level cap in the traditional sense. Instead you progress using exponential experience until level 50, at which point your accumulation of points slows way down. Some folks have said that it stops at 80, which is certainly possible, but has yet to be proven. I would guess that some of the early DLC from Bethesda will effectively raise the cap to 60, 70, or even 80, as this is their typical MO. Even with 80 levels and 80 perks to choose from, you're still somewhat limited from a Perks standpoint (I believe their are 216 to chose from), so at 50 or 80 you're still making some tough decisions.

My character, for example, has 4 perks just sitting there because I haven't decided how I want to diversify. I've taken pretty much all my perks in my primary skills (Light Armor, One-Handed, Blocking, Smithing), so now I'm trying to decide if I want to improve my Archery, Sneaking, Illusion, Alchemy, Destruction, or Enchantment. I'm leaning towards Archery, but I'm not 100% sure at this point. I've pretty much completed all the stealth missions (Dark Brotherhood, Thieve's Guild), so I may end up going with magic.

Tone_E and MonstBlitz like this.
  5. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Most every mission is worth playing as a stealth mission IMO. Stealth bow attack 3.0x damage FTW! :lol:

6. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    I've progressed to 2.0 with stealth/bow and I don't know how I did that. But just with that, I can kick some serious ***. Can't imagine what 3.0 is like :lol:

Interesting part about the map being larger than we think. Have to think that an expansion is likely with the "old" versions of the game connecting on the map.

If your character is a mage (I'm archer / mage) you have to do the college at winterwind quest at some point. My brother hadn't even fought a dragon yet, instead was doing the mage quest storyline first. I've stopped doing the main story line for now just to see what the mage quest story line is like. Because I want my mage skills to be uber before I go back to the main story line. The only problem with magic is that you have to hit the favorites menu a lot to vary your setup while in combat. Can't imagine you melee warriors have troube with that? Now if your pc based (I'm PS3) you can bind spells to numeric keys. Unfortunately I dont have that luxury. That's my only gripe with the game. Combat interface is a *****.

Oh and the dragons showing up randomly... I was in the middle of the mage storyline and a dragon helped me take out a giant at the entrance to one of the dungeons. The dragon wasn't interested in me. I just let him kick the giants *** while I watched from behind a rock :lol:.... I was ready to take him on and he flew away.

7. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    That's what's so great about the game. What other game can you play where you're fighting something and a big *** dragon comes and drags away your opponent...

Paul 13 likes this.
  8. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    All sneak attacks start as 2.0x damage. You can get bows to 3.0x damage, I think swords (or maybe one-handed weapons) to like 5.0x or so, and daggers to 15.0x damage. :shuriken:

3.0x bow damage is funny (well 2.0 also) because if people get killed they often just go flying like ragdolls.

Paul 13 likes this.
  9. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    [​IMG]

10. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    [​IMG]

Vengeful Odin and dolfan32323 like this.
  11. BicketyBam

BicketyBam No Fist Pumps Allowed

Sep 6, 2010
    New Milford, CT
    I sneak all the time. I hate running into enemies and being attacked first. So just by the nature of the way I play, my sneak ranked up quickly. I don't play as a thief, but sneak attacks are awesome. I have the 15 times dagger perk and that animation is killer.

-Ed-
    sent from my mobile device

12. McLovin

McLovin Resident Pats fan.

May 7, 2008
    North Cacalaka
    i made a choice to have sex again instead of getting this game.

since that didn't work out, i may pick it up after revelations gets boring.

13. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    I'm really wondering what I'm doing wrong. My sneak is at at least 50 and I still can't get close enough to melee anyone while in sneak mode. They always are onto me way before I get there no matter how slow I go. Is there some perk I should unlock that will make it easier?

[​IMG]

Vengeful Odin and dolfan32323 like this.
  14. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    exactly. my first one had serious colic. I had to hold her from 8 pm to 2:30 am every single night for six months before my wife took her for her shift. combination of Madden and the original Star Wars KOTR + City of Heroes was the only way I kept my sanity.

15. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    The left side of the sneak skills will make it harder for your enemies to hear you coming. If you have a companion with you, he'll likely make it easier to hear you (and hit traps you avoid, ****er). There is an illusion spell called "muffle" which helps sneak. And finally, it is harder to sneak undetected in heavy armor. Light armor (or no armor) is best to sneak in, aside from modified armor. Also, while I'm not 100% certain of this, I think the speed you move while sneaking affects how loud you are, so crawl if you can (like if someone is sleeping).

MonstBlitz likes this.
  16. BicketyBam

Sep 6, 2010
    New Milford, CT
    My character is like a jack of all trades. I completed the college of winterhold quests, so I have some decent spells and the arch mages robes. But I also rock some heavy dwemer armor at times and have adequate one handed and two handed skills. I've invested about 5 perks in sneak. I'm 25% harder to detect, plus I have the bonus damage perks. When I want to slit someone's throat, I wear my robes and cast the muffle spell. Works like a charm.

-Ed-

MonstBlitz likes this.
  17. BicketyBam

Sep 6, 2010
    New Milford, CT
    Does anyone know how to permanently increase your carry weight? does it just naturally increase as you level up, or do you have to increase a skill? I am a pack rat and I like to take everything I find.

-Ed-

18. finsincebirth

finsincebirth Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Increase your stamina. Every stamina upgrade raises carry weight by 5 pounds.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

BicketyBam likes this.
  19. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    In addition I hear there are some pretty nifty boots you can find that can greatly increase what you can carry. I haven't found them yet, but I'm looking.

Also, buying a house helps. I've got that trunk filled with so much junk.

20. finsincebirth

Dec 1, 2007
    What are you gonna do with all that junk?

21. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    All that junk inside my trunk?

finsincebirth likes this.
  22. finsincebirth

Dec 1, 2007
    I'm gonna get you drunk. For you you see there is a lot of nord mead in my trunk.

MonstBlitz likes this.
  23. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

24. finsincebirth

Dec 1, 2007
    My god it's hoarders skyrim edition. Hey Paul, how are you enjoying the game?

25. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    [​IMG]

26. BicketyBam

Sep 6, 2010
    New Milford, CT
    I have a house in Whiterun, plus the Arch-Mage's quarters at the college. I have plenty of crap at both. When I go out adventuring, I like to carry my heavy armor as well as a few different weapons. I also carry a bunch of poisons and potions. So I am sitting around 180/330 before I start picking crap up. I know I don't need all of it, but I'd rather take it and then ditch it later.

27. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    The weight that kills me are smithing materials. Such a pain in the *** to store and pull back out again every time I want to pound out some armor or weapons. So I just haul it around. Takes up about 50 points of weight.

28. BicketyBam

Sep 6, 2010
    New Milford, CT
    Thanks. I had been concentrating on the other two since I am a sword wielding Mage that likes to mix it up with anything in my way :)

29. finsincebirth

Dec 1, 2007
    There are also feather spells

30. BicketyBam

Sep 6, 2010
    New Milford, CT
    There is a quest (I think it is part of the College) where you end up in a Dwemer dungeon. I weighed myself down so badly that I was constantly making choices as to what to keep and what to ditch. I ended up going back with my housecarl after I finished the quest. Even with her, I couldn't take all the metal I wanted. But I ended up with enough to make about 200 dwarven metal ignots :) And I can always go back if I want.

31. BicketyBam

Sep 6, 2010
    New Milford, CT
  32. pennphinfan

pennphinfan Stelin Canez Arcade Scorz

Dec 13, 2007
    Los Angeles
    The UESP Wiki is also good.

For the weight issues you can use the steed stone, adds 100 to carrying capacity. Very helpful if you don't mind giving up the other stone benefits

33. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    I found that pic hilariously funny. Not my house. I'm liking the game, for the most part. It's a little repetitive at times. I mean I wish there was more you could do with the money in the game. It seems like it's rather irrelevant. Although that is mostly how I acquired my good spells. I'm up to level 23. I haven't solved the main story yet. I've got a house in Whiterun and the archmage floor in the mage college. I've decked out my house in Whiterun with all of the addons. WIth the extra containers from that, I've managed to separate all of the potions/books/ingredients/ingots and ore/armor and weapons into their own containers. I started a particular dungeon the other night around 6pm and couldn't finish it by 11pm. I won't say which one. But I was able to find ways up to Skyrim so that I can go back to my house and dump my stuff and continue from where I left off. I don't understand how people play this game as a melee only. There are just times you need to get a range on some mob and hit it at a distance or else it'll one shot you.

34. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX

Quick travel? lol

35. BicketyBam

Sep 6, 2010
    New Milford, CT
    I took out 3 giants with my flaming dagger and my sneak perks. One hit each.

-Ed-

36. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Wow. :clap:

37. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    but you can't go back to where you were... quiet you!

38. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    Since you're a Jets fan I call bull ****. :lol:

39. BicketyBam

Sep 6, 2010
    New Milford, CT
    I swear! They went down faster than Henne under a pass rush!

-Ed-

dolfan32323 likes this.
  40. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    If between myself and my companion we can't carry it, we're hoarding too much.

There just isn't enough stuff worth carrying out of a dungeon that requires more than one trip.