1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Skyrim

Discussion in 'Gaming Forum' started by Zeke0123, Oct 30, 2011.

1. Vendigo

Vendigo German Gigolo Club Member

Nov 30, 2007
    They're used to craft the best armor in the game, so I'd hold onto them.

finsincebirth likes this.
  2. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    Yes, a bad *** dragon armor set. You need 100 smitting.

3. finsincebirth

finsincebirth Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2007
    100 stealth?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

4. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I wish I had known about needing the dragon bones and scales earlier than a few hours ago, because I sold the 1st ones I got and didn't even pick them up from the next 2 dragons I killed.

5. finsincebirth

Dec 1, 2007
    Yea I sold them from my first 2 dragons, but it should be ok. I think each dragon gives you enough per each piece of armor. So if you start collecting now you should still be able to make it.

6. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I know I can still make all the armor pieces (there are endless dragons after all), but I'd have close to a full set already if I saved up the bones and scales that I've already come across.

7. Vengeful Odin

Vengeful Odin Norse Mod

Dec 2, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Considering a full set is valued at around 3600 gold, my plan is to hoard all of my dragon bones and scales and sell the armor for profit. You'll need a house or something to store it, because they are pretty dang heavy.

8. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    How much does a house cost and whereabouts can I find one? I've got some treasures that are weighing me down I'd like to unload.

I'm about 15-20 hours in and still no dragon sightings. I was worried this game was too easy at first. But I've been getting my *** kicked pretty good lately. Ran into this guy on one quest named Captain Hagar who was cutting my head off in a single blow. But the dumb *** fell in the water and couldn't get out so I burnt his face off. Finding creative ways to kill stuff that you have no business being able to kill is one of the things that makes this game so much fun. I'm really struggling to find good armor and the materials do do any smithing worth a damn. So far I feel like it was a lot easier to find good armor and weapons in Oblivion, but I guess it makes it more worthwhile that you have to work for the good **** in this game.

9. Vendigo

Nov 30, 2007
    The first one is available in Whiterun for 5.000 gold. You will have to complete the main quest (kill the dragon at the Watchtower) for the Jarl of Whiterun first. He'll then promote you to Thane of Whiterun and the house becomes available at his stewart.

Generally speaking, every major city has a house you can buy. The costs vary (Whiterun is the cheapest at 5.000, Solitude the most expensive one at 25.000). You always have to complete some quests for the local Jarl first to unlock the purchase option. There really isn't a point to owning every house (unless you don't know what to do with your money, anyway), so you might want to pick a different one than the Whiterun residence depending on your funds/preferred hangout.

As for good armor, the smithing/light armor combination helps a ton in the early game. Quicksilver ingots (to make Elven armor) become available pretty early on at the smithy in Whiterun and there's also a quicksilver mine at Dawnstar with no enemies and free quicksilver ore. If you're into heavy armor, then things become a little tougher as the raw materials are rare as hell (I've yet to find anything better than Orcish stuff at level 25, with the sole exception of an ebony mace) and armor just doesn't seem to drop a lot in general.

MonstBlitz and Paul 13 like this.
  10. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    I definitely need a house to store my crap. Unless there is another way to store stuff? I think I lost my housecarl last night. I wanted to see how the giants fought... well, i found out :lol: One hit and my body went flying up in the air like a reggie roby punt. When I reloaded after death she was gone. The giants must have eaten her... :shifty:

11. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    I have done hardly any of the main quest so far. I think that's why I'm having some difficulties. Jumping into some of the other stuff way out of order is probably putting me smack dab in the middle of bad guys I can't quite handle yet. Right now I'm in Solitude doing missions at about level 13.

Giant are killable if you have patience. Arrows and run. Repeat about 25 times. Good way to get the archery up!

12. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    I just started going the main quest and I am level 30. I do not think that is the problem.

13. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    It all depends, but I think parts of the map are definitely harder than other parts of the map. I think the first few quests in the main quest probably take you down an easier road. It was the same way in Fallout, Oblivion too I think.

14. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    I am sure of that as well. You probably just have picked the short straw when choosing quests due to difficulty.

15. Zeke0123

Zeke0123 message board ******* Club Member

Nov 22, 2007
    Ive gotten smacked a few times but I haven't had to retreat just burn a bunch of potions.

16. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    I was trying to go at it with Mage's robes instead of armor which means you're dead pretty quick if you stumble across a much stronger bad guy.

17. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    I had to retreat once, then I got Dragon Armor and went back to kick their asses. Their asses got kicked alright, very kicked.

It was the final stage of the theives guild quests. It just caused me to burn through too many potions to get through.

18. pennphinfan

pennphinfan Stelin Canez Arcade Scorz

Dec 13, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Finally beat dark souls last night, may pick this up this weekend.. reviews sound great

19. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    Dragon armor kicks ***. Stat wise Draedic is better, but is heavier so I stick to Dragon Armor. I want to make two draedric swords but I can't find Draedric hearts anywhere.

20. finsincebirth

Dec 1, 2007
    I found one. Do you know the bounty quest you get in whiterun? Well if you do it I think the dungeon has a bunch of necromancers and a heart somewhere

21. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    I got three from the Azura's Shrine Quest.

22. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    Ended up finding somebody who sold them 10 minutes later. Lol

23. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Well after barely making it out of the Potema Wolf Queen quest alive after the stupid doors shut behind me and I couldn't escape (saved by the Wabbajack) I am at Whiterun doing those quests. So much easier than the quests out of Solitude. I guess that's to be expected doing things way out of order.

Anybody even close to beating the game yet? What's the level max? I've read conflicting stuff. 80? 50?

I'm at level 21 with over 30 hours logged and haven't even sniffed a dragon yet. But looks like the main quest in White Run should put me on one pretty quick.

24. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I imagine 50 is closer than 80. I'm level 43 right now I think, and can't imagine getting to 80 (with the other skills maxed out; I'd love for it to be 80 though).

MonstBlitz likes this.
  25. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    I just finished the main quest. It doesn't really feel like beating the game. I am level 39.

I killed a bunch of dragons by the time I was level 21. Maybe the whiterun quest unlocks more dragons in the world.

MonstBlitz likes this.
  26. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Yeah that's what I'm thinking. I'm thinking I might not be able to fight one at all until after I finish the dragon quest in Whiterun, which I haven't done yet.

27. Vendigo

Nov 30, 2007
    You have to complete the Whiterun dragon quest to make dragons spawn randomly. They can be quite a pain in the arse, too, so I wouldn't suggest tackling the main quest unless you particularly want dragons to appear often and usually when you really don't need them. In fact, I started a new character because the dragon attacks got so frequent that questing ceased to be fun. Everywhere I went, I had to kill a dragon first and that stops being cool after about the twentieth.

MonstBlitz likes this.
  28. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Good to know. Think I'll hold off on the main quest until I'm at least done with most of the White Run quests. It's amazing how long it's taking me to play so little of this game. I'm thinking I get at least 250 hours of game play out of it.

29. finsincebirth

Dec 1, 2007
    I explored my first dwarven dungeon last night. It was really unique and different than the normal dungeons.

30. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
  31. Zeke0123

Zeke0123 message board ******* Club Member

Nov 22, 2007
  32. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    Ok so, I have heard noting but great things about this game. However, I have NEVER played a RPG. Everytime I tried to play Final Fantasy or anything like that, I found it extremely boring, and couldnt stand telling the character to do something and just watching them take turns hitting each other. Is this game like this? I want to be the one doing the action.......or is it something that takes time getting used to?

I like the open world sandbox part of it. The story of course seems incredible. Just the gameplay is what is holding me back from trying. Anyone else like me that converted?

33. pennphinfan

pennphinfan Stelin Canez Arcade Scorz

Dec 13, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Well fortunately or unfortunately turn based play is a thing of the past. If you want to, you can treat this like a first person shooter (well first person slasher or pummeler or whatever you wanna call it). The beauty of these games is you can do what you want. If the sidequests are boring, skip em. It's up to you. If you want to go tackle a giant before you're ready and make the game really hard on yourself you can do that too.

SICK likes this.
  34. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I haven't played Skyrim, but I played Oblivion. I loved Oblivion, but it is a slower game. It's never going to be like a Resistance, for example. But even within that genre there are variances. My roommate plays Dragon Age and to me it looks really boring. Every time I watch him it seems he spends the bulk of his time talking to other characters and the fight scenes are boring to watch. I generally don't like RPG games, but I found the balance in Oblivion to be more to my liking. Although it did take me awhile to warm up to it. I literally dabbled with it for a good month, playing it very sporadically (1 or 2 hours a week) before it clicked for me. But once t did it became one of my favorite games. I think I spent at least 80 hours playing it. For me, the time spent talking to NPCs felt worthwhile. I got the information quickly enough that it didn't feel tedious. I enjoyed the fight sequences as well. I could be stealthy and strategic or I could go barreling in. They felt more like real fights (video game fights) than other RPGs I've seen. And I enjoyed the story, open world stuff that is the strength of the game. On the other hand, another buddy of mine hated Oblivion. He hated the fights and had no tolerance for the time spent gathering Quests or information. So really I don't think anybody can tell you whether or not you will like Skyrim.

SICK likes this.
  35. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    Nah, nothing like Final Fantasy. Those are turn based games. Skyrim is a game you play in first or third person. You swing your weapons manually. You block with your shield manually. You aim with your bow/spells like you would a gun in a FPS. If you're looking for RPG's with a lot of hack and slash type action, I recommend all All the Elder Scrolls and Fallout games are great. The Witcher 2 is incredible as well if you have a PC.

Edit - Here's a little video showing some combat.

[video=youtube;vZQT37s14v4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZQT37s14v4[/video]

rafael and SICK like this.
  36. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    Can't watch the video at work, but the fact that everything is manual is very awesome to me. And I love the whole side mission/quests/sandbox qualities like the GTA games. So I will rent it, and give it a try and buy it if its anything like I am imagining! Thanks guys!

37. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Let me just say this: I've talked to all different sorts of gamers playing this game and not one person I've talked to isn't having a great time with it.

You're not the first person to wonder if this game is for you. You'll get all sorts of different advice, but I think this is one of those games where you should really just buy it and see for yourself. Odds are, if you're like 98% of the people who have bought this game, you'll love it. Your family might hate it though...It tends to be a huge time thief.

SICK likes this.
  38. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    *Walks out of gamestop with Skyrim*

"Nice knowing you son"

rafael, Dol-Fan Dupree and MonstBlitz like this.
  39. muscle979

muscle979 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    Don't worry, judging by your age your son must be very young. Which means he won't remember you neglecting him. :up:

TiP54 likes this.
  40. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    He's 3........and he ****ing remembers EVERYTHING. lol