1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Skeptic View of Draft (not my real view)

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Lee2000, May 15, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Lee2000

Lee2000 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Pearl, Mississippi
    I wanted to play devil's advocate and propose a purely skeptical view of the Dolphin draft, some based on the views of various experts and part my own.

Jake Long - terrible feet for left tackle, good run blocker, but do you pay him 50 million? Terrible value for first pick. And now we get to see him abused by the first round pick of the JETS? Can it get any worse?

Philip Merling - when observed limping at mini-camp he told reporters that was his natural walk. What? Can you say injury report every Sunday? Great value for a guy that will not likely take the field that much?
    Not to speak the fact that he is not perfectly suited to the 3-4 to begin with. Some value there.

Chad Henne - little mobility, eractic, hot and cold. There is a reason he dropped to us and was purely used as a smoke screen for other teams in the first round. Two 2nd round picks in two years that are not going to start on a regular basis. Sounds like the drafts of old. At least we didn't trade for this one, but wait, yes we did. We gave up our best receiver for this one.

Kendall Langford - small school level of competition that almost every draft expert said the Dolphins reached for. Yes, he is more suited for the 3-4 end and has "good feet", but he couldn't even stay on his feet at the combine. Could have been selected later in the draft. A defensive back would have made more sense. And the Dolphins reached on a guy when they could have stayed at their pick and got the Smith kid from UCF.

Shawn Murphy - A total reach according to most every draft review dude, and 25 on top of that. Mature, age wise yes, but what about football. He is moving from tackle to guard and will have to show quick savy. Character, great if you can play. And we traded an up and coming running back for this guy, no offense Dale.

Jalen Parmele - I knew this pick was in trouble when folks could not even get him family orgin correct. How many questions are going to be asked about his relation to Bernie? No, he is not related. Got some speed, but so straight linish you could predict where his is headed pretty much every time. This guy wasn't even projectet to be drafted to begin with. And he is going to replace Booker?

Donald Thomas, the guy is so raw at playing football he might get it by the time he has been on the practice squad for the limit. By then the Dolphins will have had multiple shots to draft guys that do get it.

Lex Hillard - Well, I guess they realized they made a mistake when they drafted Parmalee, I mean Parmele, and tried again to find a guy that wasn't even projected to get drafted. Yes, his highlights are impressive, but wouldn't yours if it was against Eastern Washington and Portland St.

Lionel Dotson - well well, another flyer on a defensive lineman for the practice squad. Called the L-Train? Well you got to get on the tracks to be a train at all don't you. Unlikely contributor.

Wow. Another sure fire move in the direction to 1-15. Might even make that impossible move toward 0-16. Then all of us can talk draft in October.

Lee2000 (remember, this is an act and I am much more optimistic than you think)

:shifty:

BwanaZulia likes this.
  2. Kanye West

Kanye West 'Parcells' Guy

Mar 23, 2008
    Now I am going to go cry thanks a lot:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

3. Lee2000

Lee2000 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Pearl, Mississippi
    My post is a joke. I am not serious. I am not a serious draft analyst. But I did sleep at Motel 6 last night.

Lee2000:pointlol:

4. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    Crabby today ?
    [​IMG]

Whats with all the negativity bro ? If we dont have hope we might as well pack it in.Why dont you give us your real opinion now .:wink2:

BTW You are just inviting potshots and at that point we may have to lock this thread .

5. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey

I agree

Not to be crabby, but isn't that a lobster? :lol:

6. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Jake Long & Chad Henne: Both were big cogs in an underachieving Michigan football team. Is that really what you want the Miami Dolphins to be? The 2007 Michigan Wolverines? Jake Long doesn't pick up his feet fast enough or smooth enough in back pedal, and plays out of control at times. Chad Henne does not read the football field, does not look off the safety, regularly staring down his receiver and throwing interceptions as a result. Not a great play-action executor. Very up and down from game to game.

Phil Merling: Hernia injury probably precluded him from being a starter in 2008 altogether. It will take him a while to develop an NFL starter's stamina, especially coming from a system at Clemson that saw him regularly sitting the bench in favor of rotational guys. Even aside from that, his fit for the 3-4 is questionable, at best. He does not have the strength at the point of attack to knock tackles backward. That was not how he played at Clemson. He played an edge rush position where he relied on his superior hands, motor and quickness to make plays on the ball carrier...not size or strength. Not a super gifted pass rusher, though that could get better post-hernia (should have more explosion). Might be better off at outside linebacker in a 3-4, but his experience in coverage is extremely limited.

Kendall Langford & Shawn Murphy: While there are very few dissenters that believe these players will be bad football players, both were also taken higher than their potential grades them. Shawn Murphy is not anything even close to a gifted athlete and Kendall Langford didn't quite dominate even at the small school level.

Jalen Parmele & Lex Hilliard: While both have the size necessary, Hilliard does not have the proper balance, quickness or instincts to make an NFL halfback. Parmele has the proper balance, long speed and instincts, but he is not anywhere close to a 'nifty' runner, his initial cut is not particularly good, and will almost certainly need an offensive line that creates for him. Hilliard might have gone undrafted, and one could make the argument for drafting Xavier Omon or Chauncey Washington ahead of Parmele.

Donald Thomas & Lionel Dotson: Truthfully, there is no real criticism for either player relative to where they were selected. Both have shown good physical potential, and both were acquired on the cheap. Any criticism of these two is probably a reach.

7. BwanaZulia

BwanaZulia New Member

May 12, 2008
    (yes, I know it is a joke... )

Jake Long was the right pick and will be a good player for many years. He is only over paid because he was the first pick and they are ALL over paid.

Clearly 2008 will be about getting rookies up to speed and seeing where you have value.

2009 will be drafting some impact players (running back)

2010 the Dolphins will be ready to compete in the AFC East and get into the playoffs.

BZ

8. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts

9. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    Now who is being crabby....or lobstery ? :lol:

Phinperor likes this.
  10. Phinperor

Phinperor formerly In_Flames Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    VA
    Well, you convinced me...I'm having seafood tonight! :yes:

[​IMG]

Kanye West and CrunchTime like this.
  11. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

Speaking of potshots . . .

Interesting take on the draft, kind of a karma thing for all the homerism that will be (actually already has been) promulgated about how well we did this draft on these boards.

Then again maybe we need a karma (don't believe in karma BTW, I believe in God and Jesus Christ) opposing post to this thread, here it is through my Karmalized crystal ball:

Jake Long: Pro bowl 12 years in a row, HOF after continuing his college average of 2 sacks allowed every 4 years, 2 penalties every 4 years.

Phillip Merling: winner of MVP award when Dolphins win SB in 2011, 6 sacks of aging Peyton manning makes believers of everyone; DL & pass rush win SBs.

Chad Henne: Wins starting role in 2009 after dolphins trade successful QB John Beck away to 1-16 Jets for their #1 DP in 2009 and #1 DP in 2010. Henne goes on to win 5 SB's, HOF career in Miami. (Edit: later Beck becomes Jets biggest nightmare as his skills diminish immediately after being traded)

Kendall Langford: Wins co-MVP of SB win in 2012 with Merling. Becomes 1/2 of the Dynamic Pass Rush Duo, goes on to 9 Pro Bowls, HOF career.

Shawn Murphy: Reaches 11 pro Bowls and solidifies RG spot on Dolphins' "All-Time Greatest OL In NFL History" according to experts.

Jalen Parmele: Comes on big while Ronnie continues recovery in 2008, winds up in Pro Bowl, first of many to come.

Donald Thomas: Named NFL's 12th man for significant success at backing up every position on Miami's OL without ever missing a block or giving up a single sack, ever, in his 14 year career.

Lex Hilliard: Replaces Mauia at FB and becomes part of the triumvirate Running Trio of RB, JP, LH, perennial Pro Bowl selection at FB.

Lionel Dotson: Turns into biggest success 7th round pick in Dolphins history. thanks to Dotson, years later PhinsRock coins the phrase: "we'll just draft more 7th rounders and win a SB" on thephins.com message boards.

I like MY version of the draft better. :lol:

CrunchTime likes this.
  12. ColoradoPhin

ColoradoPhin New Member

May 4, 2008
    The only thing that bothered me about the draft was we didn't really go after any defensive backs. After the way the Pats beat Cameron Worrell and the rest of our d-backs, I am wondering why the Tuna seems to have neglected this area? I know we had a lot of injuries but do you think the Allens, Bell and Lehan, etc., are really enough for us going into 2008? I hope we can bring in another quality Safety or Cornerback. I think this is the one area of the team I am still worried about.