1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SI's Peter King: Five Draft Things I Think I Think

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by jim1, Apr 17, 2010.

1. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    2. I think the Eagles want to come up.

Let me rephrase that -- I know they want to come up. The Eagles are in a very small club, teams that want to jump up from low in the first round to the upper half. I believe Philly wants one of the two safeties in the draft -- Eric Berry of Tennessee or Earl Thomas of Texas. With the 24th, 35th, 55th and 70th picks, the Eagles absolutely have the ammo to move up.

3. I think Bill Parcells and Jeff Ireland want to recoup the second-round pick they lost in the Brandon Marshall trade.

Could Miami be a fit for the Philly tradeup? Absolutely -- if Thomas or the defensive object of the Eagles' attention is still there. Miami knows this is a special draft, and the Dolphins don't want to finish up with the 12th pick and no others in the top 70. Miami is in a tough spot, I think, if unable to flip the pick down because the Dolphins want to get someone to rush the passer, and there's not a single no-doubt long-term double-digit-sack lock in this draft.

If Miami stays at 12 and picks one of the rushers -- Derrick Morgan, Jason Pierre-Paul -- Ireland might go to bed after the first round and wonder if he just got a great prospect or a great question mark.

4. I think you'd be surprised at the one name I've heard the most about in the past three or four days.

I don't mean the guys at the very top of the draft -- I'm talking more about, say, 10 to 25. One name: Maurkice Pouncey. (Full draft profile on Pouncey here.) So many teams look at him and say, "He's a plug-and-play player for the next 10 years.'' Meaning you can put him in the lineup for the next 10 years and not worry about it. Solid as a rock. There are, quite literally, six teams seriously considering him in the middle 15 picks of the first round.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/peter_king/04/16/five.things/index.html#ixzz0lMHjvsJf

Fin-Omenal, MrClean, SICK and 2 others like this.
  2. PhinsRDbest

PhinsRDbest Transform and Transcend

Jan 5, 2010
    the next dimension
    I'm hoping #4 doesn't pertain to the fins.

3. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I wouldn't be as opposed to it as most might be, provided we traded down a bit to get him. I think you really can plug him in at a G spot from day one (IIRC he started 11 games at G for the Gators). Maybe they target a pass-rusher like Jerry Hughes or Everson Griffen if they move back, but I certainly wouldn't rule out Pouncey.

4. Boomer

Boomer Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 30, 2007
    Pouncey is a solid player.

5. PhinsRDbest

PhinsRDbest Transform and Transcend

Jan 5, 2010
    the next dimension
    At 12 though? With our needs?

6. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    Damn, 1 pick in the top 70 just sounds terrible.

7. Boomer

Boomer Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 30, 2007
    Not saying for us, just generally making a comment. But you could argue that with Smiley going, you slip him in at LG and put him at OC when Grove, inevitably, gets hurt.