1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sir Jonathan Sacks: The West can revive through remoralization

Discussion in 'Religion and Spirituality' started by Miamian, Sep 13, 2011.

1. Miamian

Miamian Senior Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Jerusalem, Israel
    http://www.aish.com/ci/sept11/How_to_Reverse_the_Wests_Decline.html#.Tm8Jxk8JJpE.facebook

Ohiophinphan likes this.
  2. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    One of my pet causes Miamian, however not the in your face sort of approach, or the "I'm better then you because" but simply a rational choice to behave morally simply because it offers the most positive benefits for the greatest number of people who make that choice.

"we" can chuckle at Charlie Sheen's antics, try and emoluate them and the average person would be bankrupt and in prison in a couple of yrs.

Miamian likes this.
  3. Ohiophinphan

Ohiophinphan Chaplain Staff Member Luxury Box

While I understand the argument, it seems that the moral bankruptcy of fundamentalist Islam could be just as much to blame. Indeed the moral "superiority" of religious extremists in general is at least as much an issue as the moral laxity of secularism.

Miamian likes this.
  4. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Differing systems of Morality OHp, one is totally compromising, the other violently non compromising.

Ohiophinphan and Miamian like this.
  5. Ohiophinphan

Ohiophinphan Chaplain Staff Member Luxury Box

I don't want to come across as a relativist but I do think context matters. Radical non compromise has a place but it should be excercised with extreme caution!