1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sims-Walker not tendered by Jags

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by dolphan197, Mar 4, 2011.

1. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Adding another WR is not a luxury pick up.

A few things:
    1. Davone Bess. We have one of the top slot WRs in the NFL, which means--- if we want him on the field more, we need to run more 3+ wr sets.
    2. How the heck is any team supposed to effectively run 3 wr sets for a season with only 3 receivers? Lol. What about guys needing breathers? Subbing in? Injuries?
    3. Brian Hartline is not very productive in 3 wr sets. MSW is.
    4. MSW had 7 redzone TDs last year. The last I checked, we need better redzone production.

2. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I'd kind of prefer the young guys get shots, still like Wallace and Moore.

Pruitt as well.

Salary Cap realities folks.

3. Ozzy

Ozzy Premium Member Luxury Box

With things so up in the air at this time, with the NFL, I dont think it can hurt one bit to try and sign him. He fills a need. With so many needs on offense that cannot be ALL filled with the draft why not?

Get Sims Walker, then go with the running game and offensive line in the draft then go for a bonus players once FA starts up again. Like Santonio Holmes if the cap space allows...

ToddsPhins likes this.
  4. Ozzy

I like them but I prefer to try and get the best group possible. We don't even know what the cap is going to be and I'm sure there will be some room for good players.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  5. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Would you believe the only running back on the roster is Lou Polite?

Even guys like Sheets and Hillard are not signed per se.

Hmm, last yr it was mentioned that Sparano was not happy with the running backs, but he really cleaned house..:lol:

That is yet another reason why I think we make do at Wr with Hartline's job open to competition from the horde of Wr's that are hanging around the roster already.

For us, a DeAngelo Williams makes more sense than a MSW.

Thus the new Sigpic

6. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Higher than Floyd and Edwards (prob even money on Edwards). Steve Smith looks like he's getting resigned.

7. CashInFist

CashInFist Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2007
    West Virginia
    Way to move the goal posts...Went from 4-5 WR sets, to 3-5...weak.

A) Yeah...Henne will be able to read the field easier with MORE WR's...He can't hardly read past his hot route right now!

B) What happened to 4-5?

How many starters from last season do you think were worse than Chad Henne?

Have you ever seen Tony Romo play? He is Light Years ahead of Henne.

8. Ozzy

They will not make do at Wr. When this team gets Brian Hartline to be the 3rd or 4th Wr, then it will be a dangerous offense.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  9. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Sure they will, Hartline was on pace for 1k yds even with Henne, what we need is a running game.

D Sproiles would be a nice piece, draft Ingram, and rely on Hilliard to fill in for Cobbs.

10. Ozzy

Ireland has said the team needs speed on the outside. They will go after one...

11. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Did he? I thought he just said "we need more speed on offense"?

Not necessarily on the outside..one of the unspoken things is R+R also did not break many long runs or create many long plays, they lacked..speed...and the ability to make people miss.

Ozman, are you really going to try to say that Sparano will just focus on Wr's when there is only 1 running back under contract on the roster?

come on man..at least 4 running back slots are currently open, Sparano is a nut for running the ball and that adds up to "we add wide receivers!"?

12. Ozzy

No, what I'm saying is he will target one speedy Wr. I like running the ball more than Sparano but it's obvious that outside speed is in dire need. There will be two Rb's targeted I'm sure...

13. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I'm not sure if i agree or not Ozman, Hartline has a solid YPC avg, and if anything a deep threat is not going to be very useful to Henne as it does not suit his game, which is more of a 5-20 yd area, which to me says "give him a running game and maybe you have a efficient Qb".

I like Henne in the hurry up/no huddle offense, but I believe we have enough Wr's anyway, not that I'd be opposed to a Julio Jones mind you, but on a priority scale a Ingram would make more sense.

14. finsbuck719

finsbuck719 New Member

Jan 25, 2009
    ? This is seriously your rebuttal? Compelling argument.

What?

Another great rebuttal.

Derek Anderson, Jimmy Clausen, Matt Moore, Matt Hasselbeck, Troy Smith, Alex Smith, Jason Campbell, Brett Favre, Kerry Collins, Vince Young, Donovan McNabb, Mark Sanchez, and you could probably make an argument for Carson Palmer based off of the talent he had to work with compared to Henne.

He's also been in the league for 5 more years than Henne. Oh and he just happens to have more weapons to work with year in and year out.

15. Ozzy

There should be 5 main targets this offseason. Two starting caliber lineman, two Rb's, and one fast Wr/KR. Henne's make or break year. Why not get him some players that give him a chance. He was not bad with the longer throws in College so, with a running game that is respectable and one deep threat, I think he and Marshall will benefit from it...

ToddsPhins likes this.
  16. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well, we really do not know what they think of Garner coming back, if he is 100% he moves into LG imho, which means retaining Richie I and Garner coming back that solves some issues, leaving RG and that should be a competition.

I think what the offense and ST needs is a Running Back who can blaze, and return kicks and punts, a Darren Sproiles type of player would solve a couple of headaches, that would leave 2 Running Backs.

Ingram and ???

17. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    he couldnt hurt.

18. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Sorry, but I can't go along with that, Pods. IMO those youngens have proven thus far that they're nothing more than practice squad players, and that just wont cut it if we want to compete. How do we expect a QB to have a shot at showing his merit if he's throwing to inexperienced guys who don't even belong on a 53 man roster? That's just setting us up for failure.

We dont know what the rest of FA or the draft will bring, so if we have a chance to improve & solidify 1 aspect of our offense, then we should take it.

19. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    You do realize that the more receivers we have on the field the better Henne gets, right? It's ok that you hate the guy, but at least know what you're talking about if you're gonna bash him. With 3+ receivers, his rating is over 80, with more TDs than INTs. Considering all the injuries, lack of a ground game, washed up OC, and scrubs we had on the field, that's not too shabby for a 2nd year starter.

Have you ever seen Tony Romo play..... from 2003-2005? I didn't think so b/c NO ONE did....... b/c he didn't play his first 3 years. :wink2: He's light years ahead of Henne b/c he's light years older than Henne.

Wait...... are you trying to say that we should be patient with Henne b/c Romo didn't break out until his 4th season? In that case, I would have to agree with you.

20. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I can, they won't spend on the position TP, recall Ross himself had to demand a #1 Wr, they peddled Ginn for a #3 or #4 pick, and now they are going to cough up big money for a FA Wr?

Can you recall the last FA Wr with a resume they brought in for a visit?

Neither can I.

Not these guys..they'd pay through the nose for an Olinemen though.

21. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    The man writing the checks wants this offense opened up. If that's what he wants, then that's what he'll get. To use your words against you, Ross demanded a #1 WR, and voila......... we got one.

Do you think Ross likes spending $40 million on a playmaker when the surrounding players dont provide the best return on his investment? I don't think so. The rest of the country understands how important it is to get Brandon more space to make plays (or to get a guy who can make more plays in single coverage than Hartline can). Having Marshall here isn't good enough by itself; his play needs to be maximized, and ignoring something like that is a horrendous mistake. You don't become great by ignoring your top guys, and in essence that's what you are insinuating we do.

22. Ozzy

One change of pace Rb is fine with me. Not what I prefer unless he is also 200 plus pounds. Ingram is a pretty sure bet to be a solid NFL running back but I don't think they pick him. Of course it depends on who else is there but with the right players sliding the easier it is to recoup the 2nd round pick they lack by trading back to the end of the round.

Now if Jones is sitting there, which I doubt he gets past the Rams, then maybe they stay put. There will be 4-5 quality backs all thru the second round.

23. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Ross also got spanked for getting to hands on during his Big Adventure.

When you cannot run the ball, do you seriously expect them to recreate "2010's Henne has to do it" in 2011?

24. Ozzy

It's not that Ross wants the offense opened up. I'm pretty sure Ireland knows the offense was a failure last season and his job depends on it getting much better. Running, and passing....

25. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I'd think they like Sheets, but have not resigned him yet, but they won't bet the farm on him so I'd think they will bring someone else in.

Maybe Daboll sees Josh Cribbs in JJones?

Who knows, there is well over a month until the Draft.

26. Ozzy

Running is absolutely the most important thing to fix but that does not mean they just pass on talent that could help the passing game. Especially with the draft having some pretty solid Rb options...

ToddsPhins likes this.
  27. Ozzy

I'm sure, if an option opens up, they'd bring him in in a hearbeat. Does not mean they just sit and wait and let a possible upgrade at Wr, or TE slip away.

If Daboll see Cribs as anything then why didn't he use him in Cleveland very much? Dudes been in the league 6 years and barely sniffed 300 yrds once...

28. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well, no real first round Te's in this draft, and Wr just is not a position they put a premium on, for example Ireland will point out Miles Austin, but he's never drafted a Wr in the first rd.

Kicks, punts, WC, and Cribbs had dislocated toes in 2010, he was nicked up.

But if we learned one lesson from Ted Ginn it is you do not draft that type of player in the first rd.

29. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Your biggest mistake is assuming that we will be able to run the ball. There's no guarantee in that. The only guarantee right now is that we have a WR who can take over games if he's given the opportunity to do so. It seems as though you're ignoring this fact as if Brandon's not even on the team.

If you want to get better, start with what you DO have rather than with what you don't. If the opportunity arises to help Brandon, Henne, and Bess, then it's wise to take it and be grateful the opportunity even presented itself. A guy like Sims Walker added to Marshall, Bess, and Hartline all of a sudden makes our WR unit a team strength. I'm sorry, but I don't agree with ignoring a potential strength to focus on a weakness. For an offense like ours that has zero identity, I'll take any type of strength I can get, even if it's not the one that I'm particularly hoping for.

30. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well, that is the question at hand Ozman, is Mark Ingram a Feature Back?

If they are not 100% on that they should pass and look for one later, if he is count ourselves lucky that the teams ahead of us really do not need running backs.

If you can land a Back who is good for 250 plus carries and averages close to 5 ypa and can block and catch you take him.

31. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    You're beautiful TP..:lol: :ffic:

Won't work, to much duplication TP, Bess is Hartline and Hartline doesn't handle ST, neither does MSW, so you'd just add a Wr only type and we have plenty of those.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  32. Ozzy

You sure don't draft a player like Tedd Ginn in the first round. Jones is no Ted Ginn and they sure fooled me by putting a premium on Brandon Marshall.

33. Ozzy

I'm sold on Ingram being a feature back, but I'm not sold that this team will feature one. Two is more like it and if they take Ingram with the first pick, I'll be just fine. The rest of the draft can be to set up the run if they want. I like running but my bet is that they try to get one Wr in FA if that's the case. Edwards, Holmes, Rice, someone.....

ToddsPhins and slickj101 like this.
  34. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    2 #2's though Ozman, and they both figured to be mid rd or later picks.

Rookie Wr's rarely make huge impacts as it takes time to learn the craft, which means then you look for other talents ie Returns, even Dez Bryant handled them, but so did Miles Austin at a fraction of the opportunity cost.

Rook running backs though, can easily come and top 1k yds.

35. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well after studying these guys for 3 yrs now, look at who is on the practice squad or the bottom of the roster to figure out what they are looking for in a player, for example Pat Carter was an ex HS Qb, but is now a Wr, which to me is why they are looking at Josh Portis as well, they are looking for a cheaper version of Brad Smith.

Fans just ignore the PS but from what I've noticed, they use it like a minor leagues and they tryout what they are looking for in a player sort of like another avenue aside from the Draft, but who is on it is who they are looking for in the draft if that makes sense.

36. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    That'd be pretty ideal. It'd make sense for us to double up on RBs this year. We def need 2-3 so it'd def be this FO's style to draft a pair at the same position.

I'm sold on Ingram as a feature back as well. I love RBs that excel on passing downs AND short-yardage. I don't think we'd just throw him out there and expect 250 carries either. We need someone solid to back him up though. No Kevin Smith.

37. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    lol.:ffic:

Question: so then why does Hart get a pass when he's not a STer? If: Bess is Hartline, MSW is a potential upgrade at #2, and none of them are STers, then why not: take MSW, trade Hart for a 3rd, and use it on a someone who "isn't Bess" who can also be a stud in ST?........ like Greg Little. Bam, now our WR corps has much more talent, versatility, and playmaking ability, and it didn't even cost us a current pick...... rather only a few extra bucks that we have available to spend.

I'd soil my pants if we had a WR unit that consisted of Marshall, Sims-Walker, Bess, and Little..... with maybe a speedy PR/KR (Jerrel Jernigan) added in as our 5th who can effectively fill in for Bess in the slot.

38. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well, what we really could use is a Pat Cobbs who can actually make plays, a Returner/3rd down back/ST gunner type/Blocker.

That's why they were looking at Tulsa's Charles Clay, he could handle some of those jobs, maybe not returner, but still.

As for Kevin Smith, I see very little downside to him, he is talented, the only question (imo) is if his running style matched our blocking scheme.

A 25 yr old running back fmr 3rd round pick who had almost 1k yds as a Rook is not a bad player to at least take a look at for the cost of minimal contract offer...if he is 100% healthy.

39. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    I'd be happy with Ingram, but I'd prefer to have 2 backs for the price of one. IE: Trading back and taking Mikel LeShoure as the multi-purpose big back..... and then using a late 2nd on Taiwan Jones, the explosive playmaking COP.

Either that or trading back and grabbing one of the elite guards 1st (Pouncey)...... Taiwan Jones 2nd...... our big back in Daniel Thomas 3rd...... Greg Little 4th..... and the much needed seam splitting TE 5th, Jordan Cameron or Virgil Green (even if he requires trading up for). That addresses 5 major positions: LG, #1 RB, COP back, TE, WR. But all these guys will still be rookies and we might need more of an immediate impact than these guys can provide....... which is why I'm all for a vet WR to help us out in transition.

40. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I agree, and it is one of the problems with the offense, we have to much duplication and minimal versitility, one of those guys should be a Returner and a good one.

Do not be surprised if Little slides though TP, some bad vibes coming from his offseason so far, he is the only one of the UNC 5 who has had the suspension held against him, add in his route running is not good, and he could really slide this April.

Take were you feel Johnathon Baldwin comes off of the board and add 3 rds to it and that is where his slot is imho.

ToddsPhins likes this.