1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sims-Walker not tendered by Jags

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by dolphan197, Mar 4, 2011.

1. dolphan197

dolphan197 New Member

Oct 8, 2009
    West Virginia
  2. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Yes, grab him. We're running out of potential WR/TE playmakers by the day, so we're nearing the point where we should take what we can get.

He's NFL ready, and our offense needs an immediate improvement. IMO he'll be more productive here with Marshall drawing stronger coverage than any year he's had in Jax.

3. rdhstlr23

rdhstlr23 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    I disagree. Living here in Jax, you hear about him all the time. He's got Brandon Marshall issues, but doesn't play like him. He's a talented guy, but putting those two together could be trouble.

Also, I don't know where people get this idea he's a "playmaker". He had one solid year. A year that saw him lack big plays. In less years, with less opportunities, Hartline has more big plays and a better YPC than MSW. He isn't an upgrade.

I'm all for getting another WR, but not him. Not to mention he's missed a game every year for discipline issues/violating team rules/conduct detriment to the team--along those lines.

TiP54, shaunm000 and gunn34 like this.
  4. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    Putting them together could be trouble, but it also could be a good thing. Brandon has gone through his Diva issues and become a better person for it, he still has his tendecies, but thats who he is, thats one of the things that makes him a good wr. He may be able to coach MSW up a little bit, show him the nfl ropes on a daily basis, and straighten him out........id bring him in for a shot, why not?

dolfan7171, ToddsPhins and Desides like this.
  5. gandalfin

gandalfin Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 10, 2007
    Kissimmee, Florida
    What kind of speed does Sim-Walker have? Whether we sign a free agent receiver or draft one we need a player that is talented and fast.

6. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    That's the plan for most teams, not that easy however.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  7. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Tend to agree. It’s probably too late to sign him, even with the 24 hour extension through 4 PM today. Sims-Walker would have to already be in town for a visit, and given how we let Jeremy Shockey leave, and didn’t even speak to Bob Sanders or O.J. Atogwe… welcome back, Hartline.

dolfan7171 and SICK like this.
  8. FinNasty

FinNasty Alabama don’t want this... Staff Member Club Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Oh man... please!

And then sign Kevin Smith!

UCF BABY!!! :D

9. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    He wouldn't be my first option.

10. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

I'm torn between that production he's capable of and knowing with him, Julio is a pipe dream. That year he exploded, I followed his games a lot (had to, he was a fantasy player) so I know this guy is pretty capable.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  11. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    It's dicey to put BM and MSW together on a team but it could work. I like him, a lot, and think he's very talented. But if you don't get them a QB it doesn't matter.

12. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Heeeey.. this year's Antonio Bryant.

He could take his talents to South Beach as long as we ship him with the "fragile" tag.

13. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Uhhh...what?

Sims-Walker played 14 of 16 games this year, 15 of 16 games last year (and wasn't the game he missed a team enforced benching?), is not old (26 years old) and is not currently injured.

That makes him approximately nothing like Antonio Bryant.

Clipse and FinNasty like this.
  14. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    He was beat up all year, as usual. He didn't miss many games but he was far from being productive on a team that was very short on good receiving options.

43/586/7 TDs is hardly a vote of confidence, imo.

15. FinNasty

Dec 1, 2007
    7 TDs is probably more than our entire offense put up last year.

Plus, lets not forget that they had their own QB issues. Hell, Trent Edwards was cut last year from the Bills, and ended up starting for the Jags at one point...

16. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    As a #2 WR opposite Marshall, he can easily be a playmaker.

Sorry, but you're leaving out some variables. In his 2nd year with Torry Holt playing opposite him, he led the team in catches (63), yards (869), & receiving TDs (7) TDs ..... and Holt is no Brandon Marshall.

W/o Holt, his production has dropped off w/o another true outside receiver to help him out (as Mike Thomas is more of a slot receiver).

17. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    And Hartline being beaten up? He started 11 games. 43/615/1 TD???? Is that a vote of confidence with one of the best receivers in the NFL opposite you drawing coverage?

18. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    You do realize that the off-season has not actually started yet, right?

19. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Which says a lot more about our offense than it does MSW.

Right, so take away the TDs and our inability to get more than 3 any time we're in the redzone and we already have MSW's production in catches and yards in 3 less games.

20. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Neither had ideal QB situations so I think they both have upside. I do consider Mike Sims-Walker to be the better player between the two, and if there's one thing Brandon Marshall does that Mike Sims-Walker could learn from, it's WORK. Marshall is a very hard worker, wants to be the best of the best of the best that ever played the game. I do think Sims-Walker having more speed than Hartline makes a little bit of a difference, otherwise they both excel mostly at the intermediate throw and catch. I guess for me it would depend a lot of what Sims-Walker thinks he's going to get as a free agent. But I see Marshall's presence as a potential opportunity to get MORE out of Sims-Walker than another team might.

I'd be perfectly fine though with going to war with Marshall, Bess and Hartline again. Another WR is pretty far down the priority list, yeah we should add a speedster but it's not something to invest a lot in unless there's a unique opportunity.

I just think Sims-Walker could be sort of that unique opportunity, if the rest of the league bids him down because of the disciplinary troubles in Jacksonville, the fact that Reggie Williams had a good year there and was not heard from again, etc.

ToddsPhins and Dol-Fan Dupree like this.
  21. shaunm000

shaunm000 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Oviedo
    Marshall, Hartline, Bess..... I am happy with that trio. I know many of you think we need another speedster, maybe find a Mike Wallace type in the draft or FA? Does MSW fit that mold?

22. finsbuck719

finsbuck719 New Member

Jan 25, 2009
    I would like both a speedster in the draft and a true #2 WR. I used to be in the same boat as you, where I am fine with our current trio. However, it looks like Henne has 1 year to prove himself as our franchise QB and I want to see nothing but this guy succeed. I'm not saying he can't run a great offense with our current WRs. But, I think he could run a great offense easier with a guy like Sims-Walker and a speedster. Mike Sims-Walker and Torrey Smith/Jerrel Jernigan/Edmund Gates would be my dream.

Imagine Hartline as a #4 receiver. Could be scary with 4 and 5WR sets.

shaunm000 likes this.
  23. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    Alright...I'm doing it.... I see...Brian Hartline with about 200 snaps and about 100 yards receiving on the season because teams even with elite quarterback situations don't use very many 4 or 5 WR sets.

24. finsbuck719

finsbuck719 New Member

Jan 25, 2009
    It would force us to use 4 and 5WR sets. So, I'm assuming you rather us not pursue a true #2 WR, keep our current corps, and run the same damn offense we have seen for the past 3 years? Should be fun to watch!

25. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Adding another WR is the smallest change we could make to that offense.

You wana see some changes and an offense that can actually move the ball, then we need to get a ****ing running game and an athletic TE who's a legit threat in the passing game.

Those two changes would go a lot further towards an effective offense than another WR will, imo.

26. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    What I'm saying is your concept of use of 4-5 WRs doesn't really exist in the NFL. Much more often teams that split bunches of players out wide will use a tight end or runningback rather than a 4th WR.

27. godolphins

godolphins New Member

Apr 8, 2010
    This guy missed 26 games in four years

28. FinNasty

Dec 1, 2007
    But only 3 games in the past 2 seasons...

29. godolphins

godolphins New Member

Apr 8, 2010
    I just think we should just stop going after guys with lengthy injury problems, we tried it before with Grove, Smiley and Pennignton and it worked out when they were healthy but that wasn't for long.

30. finsbuck719

finsbuck719 New Member

Jan 25, 2009
    WR is probably our biggest need outside of RB on our entire team. Marshall- good. Bess- good. Hartline- solid, but nothing special. Everyone else is just awful.

At least, on the offensive line, we only have a few needs. Remember, this OL played great last season when everyone was healthy. (first 5-6 games of the year) It looks like Incognito and Berger will compete for the C job, which leaves us with one hole and that is LG. Free Agency and the draft are both loaded with guards.

TE, I would like to upgrade, but it isn't as much of a need as a lot of you are making it out to be. We aren't getting a top notch TE in free agency. Which leaves us with the draft. There are about 4-5 TEs that will be available between rounds 3-5 that I wouldn't mind taking.

We have options. If you guys want to see Henne breakout, then we are going to need to supply him with targets that can get open. Sims-Walker would be a very good target for him.

GMJohnson likes this.
  31. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Why not; he seems like an upgrade over Brian Hartline. He caught 7 TDs in each of the last two seasons from the turds the Jags fielded at QB; not a big YAC guy but you also don't lose any size going from Hartline to Sims-Walker.

If you could sign him for a reasonable price, yes.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  32. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Dude, there's no way adding another WR (so we can run 4-5 wide sets) is that big a need on this team. It's an absolute luxury pick up.

James Jones and Zach Miller will both be out there to be bid on.

If I had to guess, MSW will probably be the 2nd highest paid FA WR behind Holmes. He's not going to be worth the money, imo.

33. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    James Jones would be a nice pick up IMO. Jacoby Jones as well, b/c he can be a PR/KR. Adding a guy like that, as well as a big play guy in the draft (Greg Little) would really breathe some life into our WR corps. Chad Henne isnt going to morph into Aaron Rodgers during the offseason so we'd might as well get some playmakers and fix the run game so that we're not relying on our QB every week.

34. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    I agree. Both those guys would probably be much cheaper options as well.

From what I've read though, HOU seems like they're going to try pretty hard to keep Jacoby.

35. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    That would suck, maybe Brad Smith then. Or if we wanna go all in try to sign one of the bigger named guys. There are so many of them available that someone is going to end up signing for a bargain IMO.

36. CashInFist

CashInFist Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2007
    West Virginia
    You want to go to four or five WR sets with CHAD HENNE as our QB? LOL...

A) He can not escape pressure and make a play with max protect and seven seconds to throw.

B) He can't hit the WR's we do have now consistently when they are wide open.

C) 4-5 WR sets??? Are you freakin' kidding me? :lol:

37. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

Cowboys had Miles Austin, serviceable Roy Williams, solid Patrick Crayton, Sam Hurd, Jason Witten, and Martellus Bennett. Then they drafted Dez Bryant. Good teams get better even when they're already strong at one spot.

38. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

James Jones to me is just a worse Dwayne Bowe. He has talent, but he's streaky and has a case of the dropsies. If we go in the season with Henne starting, or we're trying to develop a young QB, I don't think Jones would be the best bet.

39. CashInFist

CashInFist Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2007
    West Virginia
    Especially when they have a Pro Bowl QB - Tony Romo.

40. finsbuck719

finsbuck719 New Member

Jan 25, 2009
    I've been saying since last year, that I want James Jones. But, we aren't getting him. Either Green Bay will bring him back or he will go to a team where he can be a starter. Not a #4 receiver on the 31st ranked offense in the league.

You are trying to tell me Sims-Walker is going to be paid higher than Sidney Rice, Steve Smith, Malcolm Floyd, and Braylon Edwards? Hell, I wouldn't even be surprised if Mike Williams got a bigger contract than Sims-Walker.

This is why I want MSW. He has incredible talent for a #2 guy, he will help open up our offense, make plays, give Henne another target, and won't command a huge contract. I'm assuming anywhere in the $4.5-6mil range.

uh yeah. I would love to see Henne in a wide open offense with 3-5WR sets all game. He will be able to read the field easier and if we have 3-4 playmakers on the field at all times, only good things can happen.

I just love how you guys act like he is the worst QB in the league, because of one down year, where his OC was Dan Henning and the entire offense was injured. I can't stress it enough...give Henne a healthy line and a few more playmakers/targets and he will succeed. I guarantee it.

I highly doubt all the talent in Dallas had anything to do with Romo's success.