1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sign him!!!

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by HULKFish, Sep 23, 2009.

Tags:
  1. HULKFish

HULKFish Artist and Scribe

Apr 30, 2008
    Central FL
    I am frustrated as everyone else and I call them like I see them... We do not have a better than average ILB. Our middle linebackers are too big and bulky to be anything but a liability in coverage. Arizona proved that last year and Peyton further proved that.

THEE biggest heart of a defense and one of THEE best ILB to ever play the game is out there FA! Zach Thomas could outplay Channing or Akin in HIS SLEEP! Even if he wouldn't be ideal to cover these big Tight Ends he would have people in position to AT THE VERY LEAST stop the guy!

Even if it was a role-player position he would be better than what we have! Anyone remember the year he had in the Nick Saban 3-4? Yeah, it was his biggest year tackle wise. He is 35, not 65.... He is 5'10"-11, not 5'6"! To think that Parcells and co. would deny him purely based on size is assinine!

I know he has some concussion issues but he is a baller and would give 100% on every play and be a SIZABLE upgrade that would strengthen the entire Defense...

I honestly believe Parcells had a grudge against him from the Jets and Patriots. Why? Don't know? Maybe it was all the talk of him dominating the league at the time or whatever.

And there is a little anymosity from Zach's side too being a true-Dolphin who bled aqua and orange and saw Parcells come into town...

I'm not even sure how JT would feel about it but I do know it would be good for the team.

Disnardo and dolphindebby like this.
  2. DePhinistr8

DePhinistr8 Season Ticket Holder

Mar 24, 2008
    Really?
    C'mon man, as much as we all love Zach, you have to admit he was a liability in coverage.

BuckeyeKing, SCall13 and miamiron like this.
  3. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    yeah and that was last year. cant even imagine how much worse he would be this year

4. HULKFish

Apr 30, 2008
    Central FL
    Really? I'm talking about the Zach Thomas with 17 Interceptions and 4 TD's, who are you talking about? Oh and 30 passes defensed... I can recall atleast a couple being against Peyton as well. And one specifically I recall against the old TE, can't remember his name.

And the Cowboys didn't even play him on passing downs...

5. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    As opposed to the two chumps we have playing MLB right now? Make that 3 cause Torber is not any better.
    ZT could sit at home for 3 years, completely removed from football and still be a HUGE improvement over anybody we have.

Derrick Brooks is still out there as well, but I think its only a matter of time till he signs with the Cheatriots

Big Red, dolphindebby and HULKFish like this.
  6. Zod

Zod Ruler of the Universe

Nov 25, 2007
    Lord knows......

Where are the videos of Tony Gonzalez torching Zach Thomas when you need them. The Dolphins were crucified by Priest Holmes and Tony Gonzalez when Zach Thomas was in the middle.

When will the "sign Dan Marino" post appear?

Agua, Phins28 and cnc66 like this.
  7. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    At this point Zach is a run stuffer. Stopping the run isn't our problem.

Zach hasn't played in our scheme. He's not just going to come in and know the entire defense, be able to make all the calls, etc. Plus he's coming off a preseason injury that kept him out the entire time.

And I don't know how well 5-9 Zach would help us against those 6-5 tight ends right now anyway.

The only signing I want to see is Zach signing his 1-day contract to retire as a Dolphin.

FinSane, PhinsRock, DOLPHAN1 and 5 others like this.
  8. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    put away the madden, this is the nfl. Sign an over the hill player because he "used" to be good? and I would remind you that Zach was an intregal part of the defenses that fourth quarter folded year after year just like last sunday. I love the guy, but he isn't ANY kind of answer.. I would one star this if I could.

9. DePhinistr8

DePhinistr8 Season Ticket Holder

Mar 24, 2008
    How about all those times he was caught covering Curtis Martin, or Wayne Chrebet in the slot, or Chris Baker...

I love me some Zach, but to think he'd be an improvement is just crazy

10. Muck

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    No need to make this testy. I think we can respectfully disagree and have a conversation. :)

Zach was a part of those teams that fell apart. But that starts at the top IMO. Zach made plenty of clutch plays in his career.

There's no personal grudge between the two IMO. Parcells told him man-to-man that he had to release him because he was 35. Zach talked about it then. His salary and being 225 pounds probably played a part as well.

11. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007
    I still say he couldn't possibly be worse than what we already have.
    At least he can play the run, something neither Chowder or A-dell do with any regularity.

12. Vengeful Odin

Vengeful Odin Norse Mod

Dec 2, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    I agree with Hulk's original premise of signing Zach to the team, just not in the capacity he presented. ZT should most definitely be part of this organization, but as a coach, not a player.

I'd sign him to a contract and then name him assistant LB coach. And then I would stick all of our LBs in a room with him and study film of how to stop Darren Sproles in the flats, like Ray Lewis did last week.

His days of usefulness as a player are long gone. But he's a smart, intelligent guy and surely has something to offer in the coaching ranks.

13. Phins28

Phins28 Up the Irons

Dec 4, 2007
    Puerto Rico
    We need younger, faster linebackers that can cover RBs and TEs not over the hill, slower as molases players.

14. PHINANALYST

PHINANALYST Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2008
    North Carolina
    we discussed ad nauseum in the offseason the need to upgrade ILB ... as Crowder was average to slightly above ... and we had nothing to go along with him.

we don't have an answer, and our pass rush is not good enough to offset the liability.

unfortunately, it is not likely to be fixed in the next 2 weeks.

15. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well, Odell Thurman is playing in the UFL, if he is healthy he was a good ILB in Cincy, of course that may have been the booze and coke doing the playing.

The UFL's season ends in November, if we are looking for a player or two it would not be a terrible place to start.

16. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    after how the defense played you can be sure of adjustments
    Wake will get a shot & G. Wilson is on very thin ice, soon to be replace

17. HULKFish

Apr 30, 2008
    Central FL
    Yeah... Just like the last time Zach played SD and pulled a ball right from Gates hands! Let's see anyone on this roster do that! Or the couple interceptions on Brees/Rivers. Man, you guys have a short memory! Zach a step-slow is still better than any ILB on the roster. I'm gonna post some pics to jolt your memory. Zach would have had a great position in Dallas but Wade was too ignorant to use him right... Bobby Carpentar, LOL!

18. dolphindebby

dolphindebby Season Ticket Holder Luxury Box

Nov 26, 2007
    GA
    I know it's just a dream Muck and I agree with you.
    But I love Zach as much as I do JT and to see him back in our uni would be a dream come true.
    But, after saying that, I know it's unrealistic for him to come home and play. I never want him injured again.
    The thought of him waiting on a call from a team is just something I find hard to imagine. I don't imagine Zach thinks he's done, he's too much of a ball player, so it's got to be hard on him.

Disnardo and HULKFish like this.
  19. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    Crowder and Ayodele are better suited for a zone coverage where they can hold down an area of the field and keep their eyes on the QB. They simply cant turn their back to the Qb and cover anyone. Unfortunately we're playing mostly man coverage. If we had a better FS, we could run more cover 3 and free up a member of the secondary to help with underneath coverage.

HULKFish likes this.
  20. SCall13

SCall13 ThePhins QB

Hate to say it, but ZT was done 2 or 3 years ago for all intents and purposes. Love him, but he wouldn't help us.

Big E likes this.
  21. Big Red

Big Red Long Lasting Freshness

Oct 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    We should totally sign Brooks. We only have three inside linebackers currently on the roster.

Here's the problem. Brooks can't play special teams. So we would have to cut a guy who can and is currently playing special teams. That's not likely to happen under this regime. Sparano is always talking about how he likes players that can take on different roles and he is constantly trying to get as much out of the active 45 as he can. Brooks would need a few weeks to get up to speed, he is a little small for the triumvirate, and they must not believe that he would start over Crowder or Ayodele.

22. Big Red

Oct 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    I wouldn't say he's done. The problem with Zach nowadays is getting a full season out of him. He'll be great for the first half of the season but his age and size just wear him down by the end of the year. He would be a great midseason pickup for a team looking to make a playoff push. I hope it happens because I would love to see Zach playing in the Super Bowl.

23. The G Man

The G Man Git 'r doooonnne!!!

Mar 18, 2009
    Rey Maualuga and James Laurinaitis were both sitting there at #25.

Just sayin'...

BuckeyeKing and Big Red like this.
  24. SCall13

SCall13 ThePhins QB

Exactly. If you can't play a full season, you're basically done. What good would it do for us to sign him? He isn't his old self, and he would very unlikely last the season anyway. So it's pretty pointless. Because, well, he's done.

25. Big Red

Oct 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'll answer your post with my prior post.

26. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    lol And the shark has been jumped.

27. Muck

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    The bigger problem is that Derrick Brooks has never played inside, much less in a 3-4. It'll take him longer than a few weeks to get into football shape, and even longer to learn a form of defense he's never played before, is not suited to play in, and do it well enough to start.

Even worse, Brooks is 36 and goes 6-0, 235. That is not ideal for a LB here, much less an inside LB whose job description includes a heavy dose of taking on offensive lineman.

There is zero chance this will happen.

Big Red likes this.
  28. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    Put down the kool-aid bro.......

JL looks real good for the Rams.

Honestly at this point I think going ILB would have been better than going with Vontae.

29. Big Red

Oct 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Please stop. Its bad enough we passed on Patrick Willis. I don't know if I can handle another missed opportunity from the 1st round.

30. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    hahah agreed I still can't believe we passed on Willis :cry:

FML

31. The G Man

The G Man Git 'r doooonnne!!!

Mar 18, 2009
    Sorry Red. :blushing:

32. Big Red

Oct 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    I agree that there is very little chance of this happening. However the move from 43 outside linebacker to 34 inside linebacker is not a big deal. What you almost never see is an outside linebacker in a 43 defense remaining outside in a 34. To prove my point check out this link.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Patriots-interested-in-Derrick-Brooks.html

The Patriots are interested in Brooks replacing their inside linebacker Jerod Mayo.

33. Big Red

Oct 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    LOL :lol:

34. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007
    You had to bring this up again :tantrum:

On the other hand, Ted Ginn has been SOOOOOOO good :pity:

35. Disnardo

Disnardo Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Hialeah, FL
    Was it the great Marcus Pollard???

He was the Gonzo and Dallas Clark of his time...

HULKFish likes this.
  36. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

I can. edit: hey, what happened to the thread ratings? Can I at least nominate this for the dumbest thread of the month?

37. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    Its a shame we didn't take superstar Brady Quinn.

cnc66 likes this.
  38. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    the function was being abused by cowards unwilling to say it was them so it was removed. George said if they could find a hack that would allow admins to see who was doing the rating it would come back.

39. finserg

finserg Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Linden,NJ

Are you serious Wow i hope your kidding

40. HULKFish

Apr 30, 2008
    Central FL
    WOW! Based on what? Obviously you have a short retention of rational conversation... I don't see how this is dumb? If you don't agree that is one thing but Dumb? :rolleyes:

Here's a few reminders to everyone... And again, he sure as hell isn't a Favre or anything.

Yeah, Zach was never a playmaker huh? :up:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]