1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should the Phins gamble on Gurley?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by DolPhinPhan7, Apr 29, 2015.

1. isaacjunk

isaacjunk Member

May 17, 2013
    It's interesting, for all the talk of chunk yardage / big plays, focusing on red zone efficiency may be a quicker route to a playoff-caliber offense. Last year we ranked 21st in red zone TD%, but 2nd in # of red zone trips per game, second only to NE. A power back who can be a receiving thread in the red zone, paired with Landry + Cameron, could be enough; focus the rest of the draft on D and purchase a starting-caliber guard in FA if possible.

2. dolfan22

dolfan22 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

I have no illusions about how good they are , think I have a realistic handle on that and have been pretty critical ( with reason I believe ) for years . One could say that DJ fell into the scenario you illustrate.

Two thngs , first is the importance of the RB position , it isn't what it was decades ago and this is a deep draft at RB . Is Gurley Jim Brown and Walter Payton and Barry Sanders rolled into one? I don't think so , not sure if he even ranks with the truly elite of the last generation , perhaps .... IF he was healthy. That's the second thing , are you prepared to guarantee he is 100% past that injury and it won't ever affect him? I'm not , not for the 14th OA pick where we should be able to get a pro bowl talent . Of course Miami hasn't drafted well or smartly and this has lead to murky mediocrity that permeates this franchise.

You are suggesting hitting on the lottery to elevate the team , I think there are more prudent ways then to risk a prime asset on a player that has injury concerns and plays a position that has less impact than several others.

If risk is exactly what this team needs , you must agree that the risky selection and decision to draft DJ was correct. Where do we stop , should we draft all boom or bust players? Look at the impact and value we have from previous #1's , you pay a price for missing . We've paid a high high price. Playing catch up gets you to where we are , imo .

3. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    No.

4. Undisputed

Undisputed Banned

Mar 2, 2015
    Ummmm...

No.

5. Dolphinzdawgg

Dolphinzdawgg Banned