1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should Miami Trade for Disgruntled Anquan Boldin?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by jupiterfin, Jul 24, 2008.

1. jupiterfin

jupiterfin Mild Irritant

Nov 29, 2007
    Jupiter Florida
    The Dolphins could use a reciever like Boldin... But at what price and would Parcells and co. be willing to deal? I think a 2nd would do, plus we have cap room to sign him.

http://www.azcardinals.com/news/detail.php?PRKey=2429

FLAGSTAFF -- If there was any question about how wide receiver Anquan Boldin felt about his contract situation, there isn’t any longer.
    After completing the team’s conditioning run Thursday, Boldin met with the media for the first time and proceeded to say, given an absence of a new deal, he no longer wanted to negotiate a new contract with the Cardinals and would not sign an extension.
    “For me it’s been disappointing, but it is what it is,” Boldin said matter-of-factly. “At this point, I’m not even interested in a contract.”...

2. Straz

Straz Me and my girl :)

Mar 23, 2008
    I would love to get Boldin. He's shown he's a quality WR, better than anyone we have on our roster, and he's still young. If the price isn't too high, I'd love to see him here.

Kanye West likes this.
  3. felly smarts

felly smarts New Member

Jun 24, 2008
    AB would be a good guy to have. We got a extra second round pick.

4. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    I'd love to see Boldin in teal and orange. He would instantly make our receiving corp respectable.

5. Georgia Fin

Georgia Fin Fin For Life

Nov 25, 2007
    West Georgia
    WRs are always available, I see no reason to start giving up picks we desparately need to rebuild with. We are going to be a smash mouth run heavy offense anyways. Count me as No.

inFINSible and padre31 like this.
  6. dolfan32323

dolfan32323 ty xphinfanx

Nov 27, 2007
    Washington DC
    If all it takes is a 2nd rounder and he wants to stay for the longhaul then sure I'd love him. I mean NE got Moss for a 4th rounder, we gave up Chambers for a 2nd... Bouldin for a 2nd would be great. Although who knows, it could end up being a really high 2nd rounder.

7. jupiterfin

jupiterfin Mild Irritant

Nov 29, 2007
    Jupiter Florida
    And we missed out on Drew Brees... Twice :tantrum:

8. ATVZ400

ATVZ400 Senior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    parts unknown, NJ
    i would love to have him but the asking price will be very high. I'm thinking a first rd pick.

9. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    That makes no sense. We have no starting quality WRs at this point, a run heavy offense does not mean we're not going to throw the ball or have the ability to utilize a good WR, and he's young enough giving up a draft pick for him isnt any sort of waste.

A big, strong, talented WR fits this system like little else.

10. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

We need to develop the foundation of this team, then draft well again next year. Then when we get competitive and are 1 or 2 players away from taking it to the next level THEN is when we should trade for guys like Boldin, not now.

Paul 13 likes this.
  11. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I would thank that post twice if I could.

"No" to AB, he is a good player, we have other needs, the past is gone folks, we cannot squander picks for players today that we should have taken yesterday.

Trading picks is part of the reason we are rebuilding and went 1-15 last year.

hugoguzman and Georgia Fin like this.
  12. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    Lets just wait for Dallas to cut Terry Glenn.

padre31 likes this.
  13. Georgia Fin

Georgia Fin Fin For Life

Nov 25, 2007
    West Georgia
    We went out and got Wilfork to move the chains and Ginn's speed should keep the Safetys honest. I can't help it, I'm tired of everyone else's leftovers. It's time to start drafting our own young players and not having to give up a pick and pay a disgruntled player a boatload of cash just to keep him around. Scout them, draft them, sign them, develop them.

14. Georgia Fin

Georgia Fin Fin For Life

Nov 25, 2007
    West Georgia
    Glad I'm not the only one tired of leftovers for dinner.:up:

padre31 likes this.
  15. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    That is a move I could agree with, would he play #1, #2, or #3 Wr?

I'd like to see Ginn as the #2 Wr, so heads up between him or Wilford?

16. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Not expensive ones at least, we still need some LB's, A CB, S, Te (maybe) NT, Passrushing DE in next year's draft.

17. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    That is why his role would be important, do we expect him to start, or be a #3 Wr type of player?

18. Regan21286

Regan21286 MCAT's, EMT's, AMCAS, ugh

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    Boldin should've been in aqua and white years ago. That said, it's better late than never. Definitely would give our WR corps a needed boost and someone who could really augment Ginn. Boldin may not have the best 40 time but he finds the holes and gets open. So if Ginn wants to last in this league, he could learn those techniques from Boldin or some other veteran when his speed deteriorates with age.

Styla likes this.
  19. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    He would probably be are number 1 given his experience. In a 3 WR formation Ginn would probably move to the slot.

20. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    How about...no?

Why take on a big Wr contract and give up a #2 (at least) for a team that would be lucky to go 6-10?

We can play this season out, see who can do what, and then start thinking about a major move such as that?

21. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    No.
    Not Yet...
    We arent ready.
    Next year.

padre31 likes this.
  22. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Can he anchor against the run and rush the passer? Play CB or MLB or OLB?

We have the guys with the potential on Wr corp, our Defense is stocked with "hope and prayer" type players ESPECIALLY on the Linebacker Corps.

We also could use a pass rushing DE, or a Safety.

Agree to Disagree Free Style?:wink2:

23. DevilFin13

DevilFin13 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    I'd lowball them with no more than a 3rd rounder and just sit back hoping they get desperate to receive some sort of compensation for him rather than just let him walk. If he really doesn't want to resign with them and becomes a free agent we can go after him then and not have to give up a draft pick.

I'm content to let Ginn develop and see what Wilford and Hagan have instead of giving up anything above a 3rd rounder for a position that isn't all that important right now. If we were just coming off a 7-9 or 8-8 season and we had a solid defense in place I would be willing to give up a 2nd rounder. But until then I want the high draft picks.

24. Onehondo

Onehondo Senior Member Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    I am kinda split between the two sides. I like Boldin and wish we had drafted him when we had the chance. I also think we got in the shape we're in by not drafting and bringing in young players to build on. We finally have a GM and a front office who believe in the draft and have started a rebuild for the future. Trading away draft picks for players is what got us in the shape we are in now.
    I wouldn't be upset if we traded a 2nd for Boldin, but I would be just as happy if we kept the second round pick for a future player. Who's to say what that second round pick would get us, after all Boldin himself was drafted in the second round.

25. sking29

sking29 What it takes to be cool

Dec 9, 2007
    East Tennessee
    It all depends on what it takes to get him but obviously WR is a weak spot on the team and a duo of Boldin as the #1 receiver and Ginn as the #2 would be nice.

26. Kanye West

Kanye West 'Parcells' Guy

Mar 23, 2008
    We would have a great reciving core if he came here. I think a second rounder would be a fair trade they are getting something for some one that does not even want to be there

27. dolfan32323

dolfan32323 ty xphinfanx

Nov 27, 2007
    Washington DC
    I agree. I was just saying the pick could be very high. Was saying Boldin would be a steal regardless.

28. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Instead of shelling out a draft pick that we will desperately need, why don't we just pay him next off-season?

Leave the receivers like they are currently or add another small piece (i.e. Glenn) and see how the core progresses. If he still feels the need to add a good wide receiver, he will go after Boldin with money, not draft picks.

padre31 likes this.
  29. hugoguzman

hugoguzman New Member

Apr 14, 2008
    Let's see what Ginn can do in a full season before concluding that the Dolphins have a desperate need at wide receiver.

For all we know, Ginn will have a breakout year and become a premiere No. 1 for years to come. I'm not saying that will definitely happen, but I just don't see why the Dolphins would immediately move to another guy in when there's a first-rounder already on the roster.

No need to rush into a trade scenario. This isn't Madden. You have to develop through the draft, not through high-profile trade additions.

30. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    We need depth in our receiving core, no matter how good Ginn plays. I agree that we shouldn't go after Boldin now, maybe in next year's FA.

I don't know if he would get tagged by the Cardinals as they still have to figure out a way to pay Darnell Docket money that he wants. Also, I believe Karlos Dansby is on a one-year tender this season, correct? So that means that Boldin could be in the market and if Ireland feels that he needs to improve his core, he could splash money at Boldin and bring him here.

Also, I agree with you that you develop through the draft but you do have to bring in some talent.

31. ATLFINFAN

ATLFINFAN Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 23, 2007
    He is one of the few guys I would be in favor of trading for. Either 2nd round pick would be ok, if he is willing to redo his contract with us. He is still young and VERY proven. not much risk. YOu cant really say that about ANY draft pick.

32. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

WR is just one of the need areas, but it is a lower need than several other areas....Now is not the time to rush into a trade for a player that while an improvement, not the most needed area of improvement, particularly since we don't know how the OL and QB positions are going to shake out yet...

alen1 likes this.
  33. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    nah, wait till hes a FA, then offer him the cash.

alen1 likes this.
  34. TheMageGandalf

TheMageGandalf Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    FLORIDA
    Never going to happen.

He's going to command cash ala Clements.

People forget that Parcells and Co. don't like throw money around.

Our only shot is if he gets traded and we get him to sign an extension. Other than that, forget it.

35. #1dolphinsfan

#1dolphinsfan New Member

Nov 23, 2007
    yea we should trade for him he is one of the best wr in the nfl and we need a good WR oppsite of ted ginn

36. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I don't think there's anyway he gets Clements money. He will command Fitzgerald money (4 years/ $40 million).

37. TheMageGandalf

Nov 25, 2007
    FLORIDA
    If Arizona would've come to us with a trade of AB and a sixth for JT would we have said 'YES'?

Because if we trade a 2nd rounder thats what it would work out to be basically.

Remember, having draft picks is great. But in the event that you can pick up a real, proven, quality player, that still has upside, then you gotta do what you gotta do.

Trading for AB is NOT the same as trading for a messed up knee Daunte Culpepper or backup AJ Feely.

sgtphin likes this.
  38. FinSane

FinSane Cynical Dolphins Fan

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    Ginn and Boldin? Now youre talking pass offense!

39. TheMageGandalf

Nov 25, 2007
    FLORIDA
    Nah, he'll ask for more.

It's a new year and he'll want a raise or whatever. Remember that these guys like to leap frog each other as the years go on. Not to mention that LF signed an extension to stay with the Cards and not an open market free for all deal.

Will he get it? Maybe, maybe not. But I dont think that we'll even be in the ballpark for his services.

40. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    He may ask for more but $80 million? That's double. There's no way he comes to that. I think the most he is looking at is probably ten million more.

In the years that Boldin was fully healthy, he was not more productive than LF (when healthy). I think that's why he won't get much more than LF.

I think if Ireland/BP/TS still believe that we need help at the WR spot, he will go after him. We are clearly lacking depth. We may add some fill-ins for this year but I wouldn't be surprised to see us go after Boldin. I think they would love to have a guy who is a proven starter. Ernest Wilford may be better in the slot.

I rather us splash the cash on Boldin then settle on early WR draft pick, when we have other spots that need to be filled in.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2008