1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

several immutable facts

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by the 23rd, Aug 25, 2009.

1. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    Several immutable facts are evident, even before we play our first official game:

1) Chad Pennington is one of the top QB's in the NFL. We have no QB controversies, he is the Face of the New Miami Dolphins & Captains the offense. Having said that, I am amazed @ the negativity & criticism directed toward Chad the Greater & dumbfounded by the unwarranted adoration by some of Chad the Lesser.
    2) the Orca-5 (Long- Smiley-Grove-Thomas-Carey) are solid & appear to be well on their way to living up to every expectation. As our offensive line goes, so will the season.

3) the Tandem from Hell (Ronnie & Ricky) is entering the 2009 season in high gear.
    They are w/o a doubt one of the best Tandems in the NFL & we are a run-first offense.

4) our Pass Rush is devastating, our Defense is on the verge of becoming out-right intimidating

5) our SpecialTeams need some SpecialPlayers to be contributing to it's growth & development. This is the Achilles Heel of the Miami Franchise.

2. NolePhin

NolePhin Look out for D-Bess

Apr 27, 2009
    Davie, FL
    Although I want to completely agree with you, I think its a little early for facts. Its hard to judge how good or bad a team is in the pre-season. Example the Detroit Lions last year went undefeated in preseason.

I like the positive thoughts, but I can't agree these are facts just yet.

dolfan7171 and NJFINSFAN1 like this.
  3. huck1974

huck1974 FU Gene Steratore

Mar 22, 2008
    Missouri

1. Its nothing against Pennington but some would like to see the ball thrown down field. We haven't done that all preseason.

2.They looked good in one preseason game for one quarter. I'm also optimistic though.

3. I agree

4. Maybe that will help hide our poor DB play.

5. I don't think it is the players. I think its a lack of discipline in staying in their lanes. It looks real bad so far.

4. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    it is what it is :yes: and it will be
    withstanding unforeseen tragedy or injury, it will not change
    you can take it to the bank:danceline:
    five immutable facts :thanx:

dolfan7171, mullingan and late again like this.
  5. m ino

m ino New Member

Jul 20, 2008
    would you not call that wildcat pass to cobbs in the panther game down field?granted i would like to see him hit these guys in stride but atleast it is in position to be caught. henne threw one down field this game too unfortunately it wasn't caught.im sure we don't want to throw too much downfield during pre-season and we are supposed to be a running team.

also big plays don't neccisarily have to be 60 yard bombs every time..i could just as much gripe at our recievers for not getting much yac in the intermediate passes which is also something we havent seen much in a while which is the reason camarillo became a "star" here..he took one 15yrd pass and brought it to the house.we need more of that from our recievers.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2009
    dolfan7171, mullingan and late again like this.
  6. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    Pennington is the more accurate of the two by far & absolutely the better QB
    when the WildCat is run during the regular season Pat White will be doing the passing
    Pennington will be used exclusively on the conventional offense & Henne will be his understudy

7. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    They have not done it with Henne either! :wink2:

dolfan7171, late again and the 23rd like this.
  8. m ino

m ino New Member

Jul 20, 2008
    i havent seen henne run the wildcat so i can't fairly judge that penny is better than henne at the wildcat.

9. huck1974

Mar 22, 2008
    Missouri
    Any highschool QB could have made that throw.
    Im very happy with Penington. I would like to see Henne given the chance to show off his power a bit. We scared nobody last year with a downfield threat. That was part of the problem with our run game. That is part of the reason we have the wildcat in the first place. We needed to be sneaky because we cant get the ball down the field in a traditional formation. Our running backs lead in receiving in preseason.

I'm a huge homer also, but Im trying not to be blind.

10. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    I agree!

11. muscle979

muscle979 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    People fall in love with a strong arm and forget about all the other things Chad P. brings to the table that Chad H. likely doesn't do nearly as well at this point. That's pretty much it. The backup QB is often the most popular guy on the team. It's been that way in Miami since Dan retired. Chad was a competent kicker away from leading his team to the AFC Championship. People conveniently ignore that fact when knocking his arm strength and attempting to make the same tired old argument that he can't get a team to a Super Bowl. Herm Edwards pointed out the obvious a while back on television, when Chad Pennington starts the season his team goes to the playoffs. You don't bench a guy that makes the playoffs EVERY time he plays a season. So yeah it surprises me too how fickle some are about him.

dolfan7171, MonstBlitz and the 23rd like this.
  12. huck1974

Mar 22, 2008
    Missouri

I agree. It would be nice to get a glimpse Henne's deep ball.
    Pennington is the only QB on the roster ready to run the team right now. You still have to admit that the dink and dunk passing game affected our running game last year. We were not and are not the type of team that can come back from a big deficit and win a game.

adamprez2003 likes this.
  13. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    (nor should we have to be, Friend Huck1974)

how far do you have to throw the ball? by these standards, we should have held on to Sage Rosenfelds because his arm strength was second to none, including Marino.

think about it :deadhorse:

meanwhile:
    Pennington is the more accurate of the two by far & absolutely the better QB

14. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    didnt kordell stewart and jay fiedler make the playoffs every year or almost every year?

Stitches likes this.
  15. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    absolutely on the money with this post :up:
    (kordell stewart, jay fiedler and probably several other QB's W/O exceptional arm strength made the playofffs w/ some consistency, none of which had the accuracy or consistency of Pennington. what does that tell you?)

16. huck1974

Mar 22, 2008
    Missouri
    There are strenghts and weaknesses at every position. I'm not too much of a homer to point them out. Nobody in this discussion said that Pennington should not be starting or that he is not doing a great job.:tongue2:

17. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    so be it & should it be. now for the other four:

1) Chad Pennington is one of the top QB's in the NFL. We have no QB controversies, he is the Face of the New Miami Dolphins & Captains the offense. Having said that, I am amazed @ the negativity & criticism directed toward Chad the Greater & dumbfounded by the unwarranted adoration by some of Chad the Lesser.
    2) the Orca-5 (Long- Smiley-Grove-Thomas-Carey) are solid & appear to be well on their way to living up to every expectation. As our offensive line goes, so will the season.

3) the Tandem from Hell (Ronnie & Ricky) is entering the 2009 season in high gear.
    They are w/o a doubt one of the best Tandems in the NFL & we are a run-first offense.

4) our Pass Rush is devastating, our Defense is on the verge of becoming out-right intimidating

5) our SpecialTeams need some SpecialPlayers to be contributing to it's growth & development. This is the Achilles Heel of the Miami Franchise.

18. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    I have always felt that the term orca would be better applied to the defense.. they are predators... killers if you will. Exactly what you want a defense to be. Now, I understand your usage for the o line, just my opinion and nothing more that it is "misplaced" some.

19. muscle979

muscle979 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    They're not really close to Chad who has started four full seasons and made the playoffs every time. Durability is obvioulsy an issue but when he stays off the IR he wins. Jay didn't make the playoffs his final three seasons with the fins, (02,03,and 04). Kordell Stewart had a decent run but it didn't last all that long and we all figured out soon that he sucked. Chad's success has covered a seven season span.

MonstBlitz likes this.
  20. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Dink and dunk would not be the words I would use to describe our passing game last year. Pennington might not have thrown an insane amount of deep balls but he threw a lot of 20+ yard passes. You don't rack up 3,600 + yards passing "dinking and dunking".

dolfan7171 likes this.
  21. huck1974

Mar 22, 2008
    Missouri

you mean RAC that make it look like he through a lot of deep passes?

22. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    you have a problem with people liking Chad Henne?

Ronnie and Ricky are not without a doubt the best tandem. Carolina has 2 RBs that are likely better than Ronnie, and both are younger.

our pass rush is not devastating, yet.

Anonymous and Stitches like this.
  23. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    No that's not at all what I mean. Go back and watch some game tape and you'll find Chad completed an awful lot of intermediary throws that were by no means "dink and dunk".

24. Crappy Tipper

Crappy Tipper AKA Hero13

Aug 23, 2008
    #1 No doubt Pennington is right now, but Henne is the next decade. Watching Henne (even against subs because velocity and a nice spiral look good anytime) gives me hope for our future in the vertical passing game.

#2 In limited exposure they have had moments. Check back with me four weeks into the season.

#3 I agree that we have a fantastic 1-2 punch and I would even carry that as far to say 1-2-3 because of Cobbs.

#4 Again, let's see a few games into the season when we have to try to win a close game. Right now we are seeing them on fresh legs in "trial" mode against these offenses.

#5 Special team 100% agree, they need some work on almost every phase.

25. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    agree & will add: Tony Sparano said it best when he claimed, “This is Chad Pennington’s football team.”
    the end of the #1 statement on the list.

Friend Crappy is a voice of reason in this thread.
    Only in time can anyone truly assert anything on or off the field.
    however
    the five statements I made are done so in the conviction & reflect with honesty what I have watched progress in our rebuilding process.

26. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    well chad is clearly better than either. I was just pointing out how the fact that he's been in the playoffs isnt the strongest argument. he's ok but nothing special. kordell and fiedler were below acceptable, penny is acceptable but unless he can threaten the deep pass and force the defense to play honest he'll always limit what the offense can do and how effective it can be. he's very fortunate this is a run heavy offense

27. dolfan7171

dolfan7171 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    I like what everyone had to say about this topic. I do believe that Miami will be a team to be reckoned with. No one is going to want to play us....especially the Patriots.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2009
  28. Crappy Tipper

Crappy Tipper AKA Hero13

Aug 23, 2008
    We really have to get hard and physical with the Patsies and make them regret lining up on the field.

I really think the Pats game is where Jason Taylor is going to prove his worth to us.

29. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

1) Chad vs Chad....first off, not every QB could hit Ginn on a 9 route, full speed anyways, but Penny won't even try it. I am amazed at the fact that we rarely go after CBs with the speed Ginn has. But it's because of Penny's arm strength. Not that he can't make most throws, but he could make more if his arm strength were greater. Many of us think that Henne has that ability to go deeper more often...it's not a reflection on Penny being a 'bad' QB, because he certainly isn't, but wouldn't you just love to see any Dolphin QB hit WRs deep down the field again ??

2) Have to agree mostly with you. They appear better than last year at this time, but lets remember that if Thomas is the RG, he will essentially be a rookie and expected to make mistakes...IF they continue to gel, we have the makings of a power running team and overall, the signs are very, very encouraging that the OL will finally be an asset to the team again.

3) Agree that the R & R Express is a formidable tandem, but see #2. Only if #2 comes true do the R & R Express really reach their potential...

4) Agreed whole-heartedly....

5) Agreed whole-heartedly.... Very discouraging after the last game. The return teams couldn't return and the coverage teams couldn't cover...Oh, where have you gone, Mike Westhoff.