1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Selection of Long epitomizes Dolphins' new mind-set

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by ATVZ400, Apr 22, 2008.

1. ATVZ400

ATVZ400 Senior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    parts unknown, NJ
    You looked around the room where the Dolphins introduced their new No. 1 draft pick Tuesday afternoon and it made perfect sense that the young man they were introducing was Jake Long, the University of Michigan offensive tackle.
    http://www.miamiherald.com/616/story/505689.html

The club's team meeting room at its Davie headquarters is an auditorium the size of a small movie theater, and all around it are new signs -- literally -- bugling the new mind-set of the new regime of football lord Bill Parcells, general manager Jeff Ireland and coach Tony Sparano.

The huge sign across the center of the room declares: `MIAMI DOLPHINS: SMART, TOUGH, DISCIPLINED.'

A large sign on one wall reads: 'No Negative Plays: Mental Errors, Sacks, Penalties, Turnovers.' On another wall is the simple demand: 'Protect The Ball.' Other signs extol teamwork, and striving to aim high and attain dreams.

2. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    I like that. Thats a nice read. Definately hope that this new attitude that they are trying to instill into players minds. I like how our o-line is starting to shape up now, I'm sure we'll take another O-lineman in the draft to finish it up a bit... but right now... Carey, Satele, Long, Smiley... We're on the right track thats for sure.

3. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    That describes Long perfectly. Hes a tough nasty player, he plays hard every play. And yet he doesnt commit stupid penalties. This pick s a very solid one imo and could pay some huge divedends. Yes, there are some question marks, but there are for any player. Hopefully will be our line anchor for the next decade. Welcome Jake Long!!

4. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    "`MIAMI DOLPHINS: SMART, TOUGH, DISCIPLINED.'

A large sign on one wall reads: 'No Negative Plays: Mental Errors, Sacks, Penalties, Turnovers.' On another wall is the simple demand: 'Protect The Ball.' Other signs extol teamwork, and striving to aim high and attain dreams."

I like the sound of that... a lot.

5. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Man am i happy reading that article.

6. bran

bran Senior Member

Dec 20, 2007
    New Hampshire
    great, great article
    i love this new regime

7. femalefinfan

femalefinfan Phillies fan Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Philth-a-delphia
    I'm also wondering if this pick is a convience pick, ie best player available kind of thing, or if it signals we're going in more of an offensive direction....

8. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

Great article AT, thanks. I really like this direction, smash-mouth-Parcells-football. Finally we address the OL! Very happy with this signing, Jake is going to be a solid LT for us for many years.

9. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Does that mean the giant "FAIL !!! FORWARD!! FAST!!" banner we had hanging in every room & locker, and imprinted on the toilet paper last year is now gone?

Hm. I'm not sure if I like all these positive messages the team is getting. It might affect their performance by positively influencing it.

Bpk