1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Secret Shopper Scam

Discussion in 'Announcements and Such' started by phinnhedd, Oct 29, 2008.

1. phinnhedd

phinnhedd Reality.

Oct 10, 2008
    Port Saint Lucie, FL
    Buyer Beware!!!!

I received a letter in the mail stating I have been selected as a Secret Shopper. I received also in the envelope some instructions and also a check for 4,700 bucks.

I started thinking about it for awhile, and was like "how often do you receive a check for almost five grand in the mail"

I called the phone number to find out if in fact, it was legitimate or not as I was extremely skeptical. After talking to the guy on the other end, I decided to call the other number provided on the instructions. Both were supposed to be different extension and different people. The SAME person answered both lines, but trying to disguise his voice between lines.

After hanging up with the guy, (not divulging any personal information) I started searching to see what this scam entails. I found it on snopes.com Click HERE if you want to read on it.

What they do is get you to cash the fake check, send out monies to 2 separate places, 1900 through MoneyGram and 2000 through Western Union. Also there would be 200 for transfer fees. 500 would be for 100 bucks an hour rated for 5 hours and another 100 to shop at a place from the list as a secret shopper. By the time the bank figures out that the check was fake, you have already sent the monies and spent whatever was left and leaving you holding the bag with a fake check that bounces in your account, thus, leaving you in serious debt and possible charges.

So if anyone that reads this gets anything similar, be reminded that if it sounds too good to be true, most of the time it really is.

Thanks for reading.:up:

2. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

thanks.

i know someone who is a secret shopper. or was. or i met someone who knew someone. anyway.

i don't know how they came about the job but you don't get anything like 5 grand. they give you like 20 bucks. the purpose of secret shopping is to see what people buy. you keep the 20 they give you and/or the item you bought as payment.

that's the story i've heard anyway

3. Celtkin

Celtkin <B>Webmaster</b> Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    46.73° N, 117.00° W
    Thanks for the warning and I happy that you are a cautious person. Have you reported the incident to the post office? They have investigators who investigate postal fraud cases.

4. phinnhedd

phinnhedd Reality.

Oct 10, 2008
    Port Saint Lucie, FL
    I have contacted the appropriate authorities, they are supposed to be giving me a call soon. I'll keep updates coming.

SICK, Phinperor, azfinfanmang and 3 others like this.
  5. opfinistic

opfinistic Braaaaains!

Dec 7, 2007
    Peeking in Nabo's Basement
    That could've been a real nightmare. Good lookin' out and thanks from us all for the heads up.

Mindwarp likes this.
  6. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Im always amazed at scams like this. Most of the time when people committ crimes, even white collar ones, I think to myself "Well, if they were any smart they wouldnt have committed the crime in the first place."

Not so with these A-Holes. It takes cunning to to create a scam like this and make it work. These people COULD use their powers for good and actually make money legitimately.

SICK likes this.
  7. phinnhedd

phinnhedd Reality.

Oct 10, 2008
    Port Saint Lucie, FL
    Sounds like I'm getting dead-ends everywhere.

I called the BBB which was suggested doing research through the net. They're advice -- just disregard it.

I called the Montreal Police, and they're supposed to call me back "within a few days"

I called consumer services, nothing.

How the heck are these criminals allowed to get away with this kind of stuff, maybe i just answered my own question. No one does anything about it.

8. phinnhedd

phinnhedd Reality.

Oct 10, 2008
    Port Saint Lucie, FL

I guess that's my next step. Weird thing about it is that the stamp wasn't "stamped" for the lack of a better description.

Had a canada stamp that hadn't had the strikethrough processing mark on it.

9. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    PH,

They're in a different country, in this case Canada. Our Govt. cannot arrest anyone beyond our borders unless they are American and we have an extradition agreement with said country.

Its the same reason the damn Nigerians get away with sending you emails that you're 6th cousin twice removed has died and left you a **** ton of money, and all they need is your SSN and CC#...

opfinistic likes this.
  10. phinnhedd

phinnhedd Reality.

Oct 10, 2008
    Port Saint Lucie, FL
    I called the bank where the check was issued from, no surprise there they've seen 11 cases today already. I asked the lady and she said people are falling for it left and right. She wants me to send the check and the letters via fax to her. All the checks apparently are made out for the same amount with different check numbers.

Wow these guys need to go down. 11 checks = 51,700 bucks. I hope they're not receiving much of this money. Imagine the people that have already fallen for it.

11. first&goal

first&goal Luxury Box Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Charlotte
    Thank you very much for the warning, I'm glad that you were able to prevent a nightmare.

12. pennphinfan

pennphinfan Stelin Canez Arcade Scorz

Dec 13, 2007
    Los Angeles
    maybe they have someone living in your area that drops them off in mailboxes. that would avoid the Post Office filtering out their letters..

13. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    thanks for the warning! glad you didnt get scammed yourself!

sadly, some people will stop at nothing it seems.