Second Thoughts On The Marshall Plan?

34 replies

SOSouthbeachNew MemberOP
Feb 8, 2011, 08:00 PM

I know that Marshall is a VG WR, and has filled a glaring need on our O.

Then, I read that Penny had to calm him down, WR coach having problems with him, the conflict with Henne, the dumb penalties, the drops, and the lack of YAC.

Is he worth all this nonsense and disruption to our team?

For me, IF we can sign a VG-great WR, I'm trading him. IF we had a HC who threatened fist pumps at him or a QB, like Marino, who would scream at him to STFU, I would think differently. JMHO

M1NDCRlMEM1NDCRlMEForum Veteran
Feb 8, 2011, 08:34 PM

"Southbeach wrote:

Is he worth all this nonsense and disruption to our team?

Yes.

SICK;944668 wrote:

that and.....the city of jacksonville sucks.

MikeHonchoMikeHonchoSupporter
Feb 8, 2011, 08:40 PM

So far, no. Hell no.

Headcoach material wouldn’t want to work somewhere they’re not trusted with actual football decisions.

The G ManThe G ManForum Veteran
Feb 8, 2011, 08:45 PM

This is what you get with Baby TO, bag and baggage. Yes, he is arguably one of the top three or four WR's in the game, but he is still a diva. Period. And, this FO knew that before they traded for him. So, as my son's daycare provider used to say..."you get what you get."

Now, having said all that, this coaching staff must find a way to make it work. No tradsies. No give backs. No excuses. Just git 'r done.

http://larrycsonka.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/071511-NFL-Larry-Csonka-PI_2011071516291173_660_320.jpg

FIfinsbuck719New Member
Feb 8, 2011, 08:52 PM

It's not like he has been extremely detrimental to the team. He was still productive for us. If we didn't trade for him, our WR corps would have been: Brian Hartline, Davone Bess, Marlon Moore, Roberto Wallace, Julius Pruitt. When Hartline went down, it would have been Bess, Moore, Wallace, Pruitt, and ???.

He has definitely been worth it so far.

finsergfinsergNew Member
Feb 8, 2011, 09:25 PM

Yes he is worth every penny,The problem start when you dont feed him the ball just like TO.

MikeHonchoMikeHonchoSupporter
Feb 8, 2011, 09:43 PM

Judging by our record in games where he's had a "big game (100+ yards and or at least one TD catch)", then no. He hasn't been worth it.

Headcoach material wouldn’t want to work somewhere they’re not trusted with actual football decisions.

CitizenSnipsCitizenSnipsNew Member
Feb 8, 2011, 09:44 PM

When we made the trade for Marshall, we made the trade thinking our running game was going to be BETTER, not WORSE.

Marshall (and Henne for that matter) was supposed to have a tough running game keeping the defense honest. We didn't get that. Thus we didn't get many big plays, thus Marshall wasn't happy.

Get a running game, make the D back off, and Marshall and crew make big plays. I know im simplifying it, but its not that complicated either. When Marshall gets upset, its only because he wants to make plays and he wants to be the best. He has an unrelenting desire to be the best. And when you put that much passion into what you do, only to have things not work out, you're gonna have to vent. It's life. Be glad hes yelling at our players and coaches and not beating women or doing drugs.

and he was STILL the best WR we've had since 2005.

KillerphinsKillerphinsNew Member
Feb 8, 2011, 09:47 PM

My opinion of the Marshall thing is no secret so I'll just say one thing.....Get your play maker back to making plays.

kryptokryptoNew Member
Feb 8, 2011, 11:46 PM

Yes, it was worth it. Our running game severely regressed allowing defenses to stack the box. We lost Ginn, a speedy "deep threat" to demand SOME type of attention (say what you want about Ginn but no one can deny his speed and the fact that he could get past the corner, the safety would have to account for him). Its obvious Henne was in shackles and was trained not lob it in the air for Marshall to go get it.

GarryowenGarryowenNew Member
Feb 8, 2011, 11:53 PM

He's pretty much exactly the guy we got from Denver, and well worth it.
We all knew he was going to be a little bit of a load discipline wise, but
to me, he's well worth the price we paid, and if we can get another playmaker
on offense opposite him, he's going to have a better 2012......

BTW, his stats weren't that off from what he's done in the past, and he's
certainly the best WR we've had in here since.... ...... Crap... Probably
Clayton/Duper or Ingram/Fryar

NaboCaneNaboCaneNew Member
Feb 9, 2011, 12:15 AM

The disruption to the team is losing, not Marshall; who, by the way, managed to catch 86 passes for 1000+ yards on this horror show of an Offense.

firedanfiredanForum Veteran
Feb 9, 2011, 08:37 AM

He is agood possesion reciever but I wouldn't call haim a top 5 reciever in the NFL.He drops too many balls and is good for a bone head penalty after he does what he is paid to do.Also he can be a problem with his diva tantrums.

DolfanJakeDolfanJakeNew Member
Feb 9, 2011, 09:10 AM

"Southbeach wrote:

I know that Marshall is a VG WR, and has filled a glaring need on our O.

Then, I read that Penny had to calm him down, WR coach having problems with him, the conflict with Henne, the dumb penalties, the drops, and the lack of YAC.

Is he worth all this nonsense and disruption to our team?

For me, IF we can sign a VG-great WR, I'm trading him. IF we had a HC who threatened fist pumps at him or a QB, like Marino, who would scream at him to STFU, I would think differently. JMHO

Your sir are an "Agent Provocateur"

The home of The English Rugby Club - http://www.rfu.com/

KillerphinsKillerphinsNew Member
Feb 9, 2011, 09:36 AM

"NaboCane wrote:

The disruption to the team is losing, not Marshall; who, by the way, managed to catch 86 passes for 1000+ yards on this horror show of an Offense.

With 7 less TD's and a 2.4 less YAC avg than he had the previous season in Denver.
A little more effort would go a long way with Marshall. He was a huge disappointment in 2010.

JimTossJimTossForum Veteran
Feb 9, 2011, 10:34 AM

I'd be pissed too if Chad Henne was my QB.

padre31padre31Luxury Box
Feb 9, 2011, 10:40 AM

Hmm, how do I view our only playmaking player on an offense bereft of playmakers?

Of all of the issues on offense, Brandon Marshall is not one of them, and I'd prefer to have him than the #46 pick this yr.

So far, the first #2 pick (the #43) has went for Sergio Kindle, who has not played a snap and has massive off of the field woes so far, let's see who the second #2 pick. the #46, is used upon, so far

Sergio Kindle < Brandon Marshall

MonstBlitzMonstBlitzForum Veteran
Feb 9, 2011, 12:37 PM

Yup, QBs are overrated and we don't need Brandon Marshall. In fact, let's just let the defense play offense.

finfansince72finfansince72Supporter
Feb 9, 2011, 01:04 PM

I guess if you count wins as the only marker for success in a trade it wasn't successful but then again I don't think its Marshall's fault that we couldn't run the ball and our Qb situation wouldn't settle itself this year. I do think Marshal can be a huge part of a good offense but he didn't make the big plays we needed on offense either. I don't know if it was a great trade for us but he is a legit WR that requires a double team and that in and of itself is probably worth 2 2nd rounders, I still think the trade helped this team long term though. I won't make excuses for his attitude, I think the bad penalties and poor attitude he displayed at times is extremely childish and disloyal to a team that gave him the big contract he wanted. He needs to cut that nonsense out this next year, it doesn't help anyone.

SOSouthbeachNew Member
Feb 9, 2011, 02:04 PM

"MonstBlitz wrote:

Yup, QBs are overrated and we don't need Brandon Marshall. In fact, let's just let the defense play offense.

You appear to have a problem in reading and/or understanding my threads/posts. Let me try to clear this one up for you.

I posted that IF we can sign a VG-great WR, I would trade Marshall. I said that because there are potential FA's available who are as good or better at WR.

IF we can sign one, and get a couple of high picks for Marshall, why would you not make that move? For example, IF we could sign a V Jackson, it would be for the same money as Marshall, and we get a couple of picks on top of it. Would that be a bad thing for our team?

PhinsPhan23PhinsPhan23New Member
Feb 9, 2011, 02:08 PM

"Southbeach wrote:

I know that Marshall is a VG WR, and has filled a glaring need on our O.

Then, I read that Penny had to calm him down, WR coach having problems with him, the conflict with Henne, the dumb penalties, the drops, and the lack of YAC.

Is he worth all this nonsense and disruption to our team?

For me, IF we can sign a VG-great WR, I'm trading him. IF we had a HC who threatened fist pumps at him or a QB, like Marino, who would scream at him to STFU, I would think differently. JMHO

The guy is competitive, I'm not all that surprised he was frustrated last year. His OC put him in routes that didn't maximize his potential, his QB was not consistently accurate, and teams were doubling him NON STOP. And he still put up over 1000 yards last year. To me, he had a phenomenal year for what he was given. The TD's would have gone up as well if we didn't shut down once inside the opponents 30. Trust me, in the right system, Marshall will be a monster.

SOSouthbeachNew Member
Feb 9, 2011, 02:11 PM

"padre31 wrote:

Hmm, how do I view our only playmaking player on an offense bereft of playmakers?

Of all of the issues on offense, Brandon Marshall is not one of them, and I'd prefer to have him than the #46 pick this yr.

So far, the first #2 pick (the #43) has went for Sergio Kindle, who has not played a snap and has massive off of the field woes so far, let's see who the second #2 pick. the #46, is used upon, so far

Sergio Kindle < Brandon Marshall

I liked the trade and Marshall was pretty good. I'm just looking for ways to fill more holes.

PhinsPhan23PhinsPhan23New Member
Feb 9, 2011, 02:13 PM

"firedan wrote:

He is agood possesion reciever but I wouldn't call haim a top 5 reciever in the NFL.He drops too many balls and is good for a bone head penalty after he does what he is paid to do.Also he can be a problem with his diva tantrums.

Give me 5 WR's you would take over him.

I'll name 3:

Andre Johnson
Larry Fitzgerald
Calvin Johnson

That's it. The only other potential guy I would take over Marshall is Hakeem Nicks and that's also b/c he's VERY young and looks like he will end up being a Top 5 WR no question in a year or two.

Any time you get your hands on a strong, powerful, physical, tall, and fast WR you don't let that go. Drops and diva type outbursts come with the territory, but I will take those to have such a dominating force on one side of the field. Just get him the ball and stop having him run comeback and out routes.

MikeHonchoMikeHonchoSupporter
Feb 9, 2011, 02:14 PM

"MonstBlitz wrote:

Yup, QBs are overrated and we don't need Brandon Marshall. In fact, let's just let the defense play offense.


Randy Starks for RB!

Headcoach material wouldn’t want to work somewhere they’re not trusted with actual football decisions.

GarryowenGarryowenNew Member
Feb 9, 2011, 02:36 PM

"PhinsPhan23 wrote:

Give me 5 WR's you would take over him.

I'll name 3:

Andre Johnson
Larry Fitzgerald
Calvin Johnson

That's it. The only other potential guy I would take over Marshall is Hakeem Nicks and that's also b/c he's VERY young and looks like he will end up being a Top 5 WR no question in a year or two.

Any time you get your hands on a strong, powerful, physical, tall, and fast WR you don't let that go. Drops and diva type outbursts come with the territory, but I will take those to have such a dominating force on one side of the field. Just get him the ball and stop having him run comeback and out routes.


The three previously mentioned plus D Bryant and H Knicks. Probably Crabtree too.