1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Searching for Trends...

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by MonstBlitz, Dec 17, 2009.

1. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Whether it's right or wrong, as fans we're always looking for trends from one year to the next, or even trends in the past several years of NFL seasons. It's interesting to look at some of the trends developing in last year's playoff run and some of the trends developing in this year's attempt at a playoff run.

Of course the biggest trend can be found in our December record over the past 2 seasons which stands at an impressive 6-0 right now.

But I found another interesting similarity in last year's playoff run and this years attempt. I first noticed it when we went up 14-0 quickly against Jacksonville. And then failed to score another point but hang on for the win thanks to a strong effort from the defense. It was very reminiscent of last year's game against the 49ers. And it happened at nearly the same point in the season (One week earlier).

We then went on to play the Kansas City Chiefs in a very cold weather game. I found that mildly interesting as this weeks game in Tennessee is projected to be a cold weather game as well. Granted, the Titans are a better team than the Chiefs but still, if the trends continue, we can expect a lot of offense in this game on both sides of the ball.

One might say that looking for trends from last year to this year is like looking for patterns in the clouds or coin flips. But you could make the argument that these players seem to buckle down in the stretch run. And maybe just like last year after some miscues on offense after starting strong, some of these problems will be addressed in practice this week, as they were last year, and we can expect another strong effort on offense.

Time will tell, but as long as the WINNING trend continues, I will be happy! :up:

MikeHoncho and padre31 like this.
  2. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    And with this clunker of a thread I officially retire from creating threads. Feels too much like I'm talking to myself.

miamiron likes this.
  3. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    So you pass the baton to me to create "the thread of stone"?

:lol:

Well, as I recall, the 49er game JP had a sack to end the game, but in the patsies game, it was Wake.

As for trends, Henne is 7-3, irrc Pennington was 7-3 heading into the either the 49er game, or the Seattle game?

Fin-Omenal and MonstBlitz like this.
  4. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Thanks for the pity reply Padre! I think Pennington was 9-5 as a starter going into the 49ers game, but it was one week earlier in the season and he had 3 more wins. But definitely a similar trend. Henne has about the same winning percentage as Pennington racked up last season.

5. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Not pity Bro, when I log and look at new posts, and there are 3 pages, I tend to stick to the single first page rather than read all three pages of new information.

We were far healthier last season, and far more turnover conscious in 08 than we are in 09, a part of that is Henne's 9 picks, Penny threw how many last season?

6 was it?

The other trend that has not come through this season is Ireland picking up street Free Agent's and having them contribute that week.

William Kershaw recovered a fumble in his first game with us iirc.

As for the opponents, the Titans a 2-1 in their last 3 games, I'm not sure what the Chiefs were though.

3 games is a good yardstick to see what direction a team is going in and who is hot, and who is not.

C Johnson's ypg has slipped from 154 vs the Cardinals comapred to 117 vs a poor Rams team, for all the talk, CJ is cooling off.

6. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    I agree. Maybe the pressure of breaking some of the yardage records are catching up with him.

7. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Lot of pounding Bro, and Young is not really a passer, so Defenses can load up on the line of scrimmage and just try to catch CJ.

8. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    Here is a trend relevant to the Dolphins...

NE 0 wins when playing @ opponents house this year, both NE and BUFF have split with their other 2 division rivals this year...all signs point to a Bills win in east rutherford sunday, wich is huge for us. Infact I believe NE loses 2 games and we only need to win 2 of 3 to repeat as AFC east champs.

MonstBlitz likes this.