1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Seantrell Henderson, OT, Miami

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by KB21, Dec 4, 2013.

1. KB21

KB21 Almost Never Wrong Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    The University of Miami in recent has produced quite a few players who did not live up to their recruiting hype or talent while they were at "The U" who have gone on to become better NFL players than they were in college. That list of players seems to grow on a yearly basis. Calais Campbell may be the most notable guy among this group. He was an impressive physical specimen while at Miami, standing 6'8" and weighing 300+ while showing great athleticism. However, when you put on the tape of him at Miami, he was just an ordinary player. In the NFL, he's a near All Pro level player that can do many things for a versatile defensive front.

Jimmy Graham caught something like 12 passes in his final year of college, and 5 of those were for touchdowns. He was a basketball player trying his hand at football and very inexperienced. He has blossomed into the best tight end in football.

Sam Shields was a UDFA out of Miami and has become a quality starter in the NFL. You can probably add Olivier Vernon's name to this list. Olivier was highly recruited out of high school but was just an ordinary player at Miami. Now, he's 5th in the NFL in sacks and is making a big impact in Miami's defensive scheme.

Is Seantrell Henderson the next underachiever to become a better professional player? A mountain of a man, he has surprising movement ability for a man of his size. Inconsistency and injuries have plagued his college career, and he also has had several run ins with the coaching staff at Miami (suspended at least 3 times).

Is he the next one? What round would you consider taking him in to minimize the risk?

2. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Late draft pick.

Talented. That's about it.

3. PhinsRDbest

PhinsRDbest Transform and Transcend

Jan 5, 2010
    the next dimension
    If he fits what ever scheme they decide on playing, I'm game for a 3rd or lower.

4. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    What a frame, it's not just a big tall guy, this dude has great symmetry in his physique...great symmetry for a man this large.

I would like to say that whenever Henderson takes the field he plays with 100% effort..

About his game...he's a wild man, wild with his technique, wild with his arms, wild with his hands, wild when he's running around looking for somebody to hit, it's like he has OCD while playing.his technique is just flat out poor, his fundamentals are poor..he's got to learn the technical part of being a tackle at the next level, he's got to harness his physicality into more of a compact package, he's got to learn to keep his hands inside his punching zone, his feet under him, and he's got to learn to stay on his blocks..

He seems to have some personal issues, it's known that he hangs around some bad folks, he's a wild, untamed, very athletic, very large package of talent and fury..

I wouldn't put a grade on him yet..but I would definitely look into him as a prospect as the combine and all star games approach, just like I would do any prospect from the U that has potential to play at the next level.

MrClean likes this.
  5. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    4th-6th range

6. Den54

Den54 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 23, 2007
    AMERICA!
    Has had back surgery already.

7. sports24/7

sports24/7 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    He has all the ability to be very good. I think he can thrive under the right coaching (not saying Kehoe can't coach at all) if the light ever comes on.

I also wouldn't put Graham in that group. He was extremely raw the one year he played at UM. I think that was more of a reason why he had a lack of production, rather than the factors that led the others to mediocre careers in college.

8. RalphX19X

RalphX19X >:)

Nov 23, 2007
    Miami
    rd 3. I think McKinnie should be brought back next year and plugging Henderson at RT would give them a nice tackle tandem for2014. After 2014 you then go out and find McKinnies replacement.

9. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    A few things about Seantrel Henderson, whose talent I like a lot.

I don't believe you can take him hoping he's your left tackle. I think you need to go for a bigger slam dunk than that, someone you're not crossing your fingers and closing your eyes and hoping you dodge a few bullets.

Between Jake Matthews, Greg Robinson, Cyrus Kouandjio, Billy Turner, Taylor Lewan and Cameron Erving, there's a pretty good chance you can find a premium left tackle if you're willing to use your highest pick. I don't think there's any need to start going with Plan B's like Seantrel Henderson knowing he comes with baggage.

It's been mentioned that Seantrel could be a right tackle prospect. I think that's more likely. However where it concerns right tackle prospects, to me Ja'Wuan James of Tennessee is the cream of the crop and the guy Miami should consider there. But Seantrel Henderson would be in that mix, as would be Cedric Ogbuehi.

10. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    The 2014 draft may feature the deepest OT class I've ever seen. It's staggering.

OT Jake Matthews, Texas A&M
    OT Greg Robinson, Auburn
    OT Cyrus Kouandjio, Alabama
    OT Wesley Johnson, Vanderbilt
    OT Billy Turner, North Dakota State
    OT Taylor Lewan, Michigan
    OT Cameron Erving, Florida State
    OT Cedric Ogbuehi, Texas A&M
    OT Ja'Wuan James, Tennessee
    OT Seantrel Henderson, Miami
    OT Justin Britt, Missouri
    OT Antonio Richardson, Tennessee
    OT Morgan Moses, Virginia
    OT Jack Mewhort, Ohio State
    OT Cornelius Lucas, Kansas State
    OT James Hurst, North Carolina
    OT Joel Bitonio, Nevada

Staggering depth there. Then you start to think about the fact that Branden Albert could be available as a free agent, perhaps Jared Veldheer as well. And I'll be damned if I wouldn't think about trading for OT Matt Tobin from Philadelphia. Jason Peters could be available from there as well.

ssmiami and NUGap like this.
  11. KB21

KB21 Almost Never Wrong Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
  12. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    During the entire 3rd quarter. He moved back to Johnson's side in the 4th quarter but Johnson stoned him every single time. Essentially it was capitulation, saying that Clowney can't beat this guy.