1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sean Smith CB Utah

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by Biggtyme13, Jan 3, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Biggtyme13

Biggtyme13 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

I dont know if he will declare as I had not heard his name much but this guy looks the part of the type of corners we could use on this team. He is 6'3 215 can tackle can press and play man. I dont know if nfl scouts project him as a safety or a corner but I like what he brings to the table.

2. Vendigo

Vendigo German Gigolo Club Member

Nov 30, 2007
    Simon has been pimping Smith for months now and I finally got to watch him yesterday. It was late and I had a bit of booze, so I will not go into any details unless I had a chance to watch the tape a second time but I'll say this: He's tremendous talent but I'm now officially concerned about him being a tweener. I like flexibility as much as the next guy but tweener DBs give me the creeps.

3. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

What does tweener mean in this context?

4. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Why do you see him as a tweener? He can play the CB spot very well. I find him more as versatile than being a tweener.

5. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

what the hell is a tweener?

6. Vendigo

Nov 30, 2007

Because I could easily see him play FS as well and, in my experience, this isn't always working in favor of a cornerback. I won't compare him to Jason Allen in terms of playing ability but Jason's a perfect example of a talented guy getting killed by impatient coaching staffs because of the ability to play two positions. Note that I don't use tweener in the negative sense some people do (as in he can play both but excels at neither). As a "scout" tweener worry me because I have seen so many of them fail. There's just too many staffs that will move the guys around if they don't immediately impact at one position so that by year 3 you're indeed left with a guy who can play neither.

7. Tractor Traylor

Tractor Traylor Crafty Veteran

Jan 5, 2008
    Kansas City, MO
    What he's trying to say, is that Sean Smith might not be a pure cornerback nor a pure safety. He is a 'tweener because he doesn't fit into a definite position when projecting to the nfl, rather he is "Between" positions (aka Tweener). In this case, with Smith being a larger than normal cornerback at 6'3/200, he is concerned that he might not have the flexibility of cornerbacks that are typical size (5'10/185).

Hope that helps..

8. Regan21286

Regan21286 MCAT's, EMT's, AMCAS, ugh

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    Jason Allen. Question answered.

9. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I see what your saying and that makes sense. The thing that is that I think he's a hell of a cornerback. I haven't seen him play Safety but I know he has from the research I've done. If he can top his CB play at Safety, then he's one heck of a talent. I think highly of him at his current position and hopefully, he goes to a staff that sticks him in one spot and doesn't move him around.

10. Boomer

Boomer Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 30, 2007
    I think what will work in Miami's favour if they're interested is that, much like Max Unger, his stock may fall a little because some teams might see him as a CB and some as a safety. If he makes it to mid 20's, I'll eat my shoe.

I've said for months that he's the best CB in the class. You can keep your Malcolm Jenkins' and your Vontae Davis', I'll take Smith and Syd'Quan Thompson and start my own team.

alen1 likes this.
  11. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    That's a little harsh on Malcolm Jenkins. Although I hear ya on Vontae Davis.

12. Vendigo

Nov 30, 2007

This is looking to be some banquet at chez Boomer on draftday :lol:

Totally with you on Smith over Jenkins though. I'll get back to you once I had a chance to rewatch the tape. By the way, wasn't Saban's facial expression just priceless?

13. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007

Just a personal opinon my man. Thompson and Smith are solid in coverage and both are beasts in the run. Jenkins is inconsistent in that department and for me is a bit too much of a gambler. I like him mind. I'm just not sold on him being the best CB in this class. Not after what I've seen consistently out of Smith.

14. Vendigo

Nov 30, 2007
    His pass deflection during, I think, the 2nd quarter in the endzone was a thing of beauty. He had good coverage on the WR but Wilson actually managed to place the ball very decently at a spot where most CBs - college or NFL - won't be able to break the play up. Smith was. That sells you on his coverage skills and ability to play the ball right there.

15. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I thought that ball sailed through Julio Jones hands or am I thinking of a different moment?

16. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Smith showed nice recovery and closing speed on that play, he also looked back for the ball, it was a great play all the way around.

17. Vendigo

Nov 30, 2007

Dunno. The play I was referring to had Smith make a leaping attempt to swat down or deflect the ball and I thought he actually touched it but at least he prevented the receiver from making what would've been a rather beautiful TD reception.

18. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Hmm. I don't remember that play.

19. Vendigo

Nov 30, 2007

I think it was the one you said "lol. missed it." :wink2:

20. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Oh, lol. That makes sense.

21. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    It was right next to the front of the endzone pylon, the Wr was open but Smith just made a great play on the ball.

22. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    Not really seen much of the game yet. I thought I'd cheer myself up with it tomorrow night if the worst case scenario happens.

23. Vendigo

Nov 30, 2007

I'm actually rather calm about the game. The Jets game turned me into a nervous wrack all week but since I don't see us winning tomorrow (horrible matchups all around) I will probably be able to endure it without the help of every beer I can get my hand on.

24. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007

I also think we'll lose so if I go in with that mindset I won't be gutted if we do and I'll be downright chipper if it goes our way.

25. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Do you think we could see a glut of CBs in the mid 1st to mid second boom? Ive heard quite a few names now, seems like maybe the NFL could use a bit of an influx with all the passing going on, maybe teams will be looking to load up early.

26. B.Sebo

B.Sebo TV Mastermind

Dec 16, 2007
    West Arkansas
    Did not watch the whole game last night, and what I did see it was mostly Utah on offense, but I did notice Smith celebrating like an idiot on a play that he had nothing to do with. Does he have any character red flags?

27. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    Nope. He's a very good kid.

B.Sebo likes this.
  28. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007

I'd imagine so mate. The value seems to be mid to late 1 through a round and again from mid to late three for a round. It all depends on who declares.

29. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    Just watched the game. Funnily enough, I thought it was Smith's worst game I've seen him in. A couple of things that make me think he'll stay at CB; mainly that he tackles a little too high in the open field, often leading with arms in to protect himself and pushing them out and into the man.

As much as I like him, as with almost every junior, he'd still be better served staying in school, but what is so good about him is his ability at the LOS to knock recievers off their routes and the way he mirrors with absolute textbook footwork in the early stages of routes. A couple of times he looked a little stiff in his hips; he got a little high in his backpedal and I thought he got away with two lucky plays; the first was the deep ball that was dropped in the endzone. I don't think he knocked it away and he was trailing by a yard. When I've watched it back though, I'm pretty certain that he was inside and Julio Jones and his man were outside. By the way the routes unfold before they head out of the picture, it seems as though there was some confusion or even something of a pick by Jones because Smth was in perfect position halfway through that route. Secondly, when Jones dropped the pass near the goaline in the 3rd quarter down the left sideline, Sean didn't get his head round quickly enough.

30. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    What a performance by Stevenson Sylvester by the way. 3 sacks and a fumble recovery. If you still have the game on tape, watch the coin toss. Antoine Caldwell goes up to Sylvester as they're shaking hands and says clearly:

"I'm gonna kill you".

It was Caldwell and that OL that got killed by Sylvester. Good Tampa 2 linebacker at the next level.

31. Vendigo

Nov 30, 2007

By the way, did you notice how that OL went downhill very fast and very hard when Johnson, the LG we talked about in relation to Andre Smith, went down? I'm even more inclined to believe that he's their best OL.

32. King Felix

King Felix Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    sean smith was number 1 on my target list, but i dont know. we need some pass rush baaaaad