Sean Smith at #61, who would you have taken?

46 replies

padre31padre31Luxury BoxOP
Jul 14, 2009, 01:24 PM

This should be interesting, we already had taken Vontae Davis to theoretically replace Andre Goodman, so who would you have taken at #62(#56 actually):

#56 (Sean Smith)

Paul Kruger
Sherrod Martin
Sebastian Vollmer
William Beatty

or

#61

Sen'Drick Marks
Cody Brown
Richard Quinn
Shonn Green
Bradley Fletcher

The thing that jumps out at me is the Panthers taking Sherrod Martin over Sean Smith, and we had traded back from the #56 pick to the #61 and picked up a pick from the Colts, so our board must have had Martin and Smith as similar players, or we had rejected Martin as to small and did not think anyone would take Sean Smith.

But that makes little sense in that the Panthers have taken large Cb's before, Gamble is a large Cb so who knows what Ireland was thinking on that trade back?

ALalen1New Member
Jul 14, 2009, 01:27 PM

Sherrod Martin plays safety too and the Panthers need help there.

I would have stuck with Sean Smith, btw.

padre31padre31Luxury Box
Jul 14, 2009, 01:31 PM

"alen1 wrote:

Sherrod Martin plays safety too and the Panthers need help there.

I would have stuck with Sean Smith, btw.

As I recall, we scouted Martin heavily, and Smith played some Safety as well, so strategically I wonder if Ireland though we could make the trade back (and pick up Nalbone) and end up with Smith or Martin either way the Panthers went?

There were no other Cb's taken in between 56 and 61, Ireland is sharp, to me that is just the way their draft board played out.

ALalen1New Member
Jul 14, 2009, 01:34 PM

"padre31 wrote:

As I recall, we scouted Martin heavily, and Smith played some Safety as well, so strategically I wonder if Ireland though we could make the trade back (and pick up Nalbone) and end up with Smith or Martin either way the Panthers went?

There were no other Cb's taken in between 56 and 61, Ireland isn't a dumb GM.

Maybe. Smith didn't play much safety, I'm not sure if he played barely any honestly, and Martin had a lot of experience there. I think they knew Smith would last and that's why they took him. He is the perfect cornerback when it comes to size that they want.

Dol-Fan DupreeDol-Fan DupreeForum Veteran
Jul 14, 2009, 01:45 PM

I would of taken Sean Smith.

Holland is a huge upgrade over McCain

I want to be alive, I am alive! Alive, I tell you! Mother, I love you, those are no longer just words. I want to hold you, I want to run in a stream, I want to taste ice cream but not just put it in my mouth and let it slide down my throat but really eat it. - Robot Morty

padre31padre31Luxury Box
Jul 14, 2009, 01:49 PM

"alen1 wrote:

Maybe. Smith didn't play much safety, I'm not sure if he played barely any honestly, and Martin had a lot of experience there. I think they knew Smith would last and that's why they took him. He is the perfect cornerback when it comes to size that they want.

The thing of that is, the Panthers had cut Ken Lucas in March, they needed a Cb more than they needed a Safety, head to head they took Martin over Smith.

anlgpanlgpNew Member
Jul 14, 2009, 01:50 PM

We need the height to battle WRers in our division and our CB spots were very thin before the draft. Maybe you could have reversed that order but I would have definitely picked a CB and from what I hear S.Smith is the real deal. A little raw because of flopping from WR to CB but talented.

I'd have stuck with the pick.

"A man's suffering is similar to the behavior of gas. If a certain quantity of gas is pumped into an empty chamber, it will fill the chamber completely and evenly, no matter how big the chamber. Thus, suffering completely fills the human soul and conscious mind, no matter whether the suffering great or little. Therefore, the "size" of human suffering is absolutely relative." - Viktor Frankl

padre31padre31Luxury Box
Jul 14, 2009, 01:50 PM

"Dol-Fan Dupree wrote:

I would of taken Sean Smith.

That is what makes the trade back so odd D-Dupree, why trade back when "your" guy is there and the Panthers just lost a starting Cb?

Dol-Fan DupreeDol-Fan DupreeForum Veteran
Jul 14, 2009, 01:52 PM

"padre31 wrote:

That is what makes the trade back so odd D-Dupree, why trade back when "your" guy is there and the Panthers just lost a starting Cb?

that is odd. I might consider Kruger, I would still take S. Smith.

Holland is a huge upgrade over McCain

I want to be alive, I am alive! Alive, I tell you! Mother, I love you, those are no longer just words. I want to hold you, I want to run in a stream, I want to taste ice cream but not just put it in my mouth and let it slide down my throat but really eat it. - Robot Morty

ALalen1New Member
Jul 14, 2009, 01:53 PM

"padre31 wrote:

The thing of that is, the Panthers had cut Ken Lucas in March, they needed a Cb more than they needed a Safety, head to head they took Martin over Smith.

Right but not all teams felt the same way as some of us do about Sean Smith. Some teams probably figured that his height could put him at an disadvantage and you read the quote earlier this off-season where some unspecified GM said that they were surprised Bill Parcells would pick a not so smart player.

ALalen1New Member
Jul 14, 2009, 01:54 PM

"padre31 wrote:

That is what makes the trade back so odd D-Dupree, why trade back when "your" guy is there and the Panthers just lost a starting Cb?

They probably talked to teams to see who they were targeting and figured if they can move down and pick up an extra pick while getting their guy, then why not?

MIm inoNew Member
Jul 14, 2009, 01:56 PM

"padre31 wrote:

This should be interesting, we already had taken Vontae Davis to theoretically replace Andre Goodman, so who would you have taken at #62(#56 actually):

#56 (Sean Smith)

Paul Kruger
Sherrod Martin
Sebastian Vollmer
William Beatty

or

#61

Sen'Drick Marks
Cody Brown
Richard Quinn
Shonn Green
Bradley Fletcher

The thing that jumps out at me is the Panthers taking Sherrod Martin over Sean Smith, and we had traded back from the #56 pick to the #61 and picked up a pick from the Colts, so our board must have had Martin and Smith as similar players, or we had rejected Martin as to small and did not think anyone would take Sean Smith.

But that makes little sense in that the Panthers have taken large Cb's before, Gamble is a large Cb so who knows what Ireland was thinking on that trade back?

i still take sean smith there. i wanted him over vontea but not with the number 1 pick so it worked out well for me atleast. your right about the fo thinking martin too small. it's been public that we want big,physical corners and we got 2 of the best in that draft. we still wouldv'e went 2 corners in the draft as this will probly be j.allens last yr as a phin also i expect to not have another corner like eric green and at the time will allen hadn't been extended yet so that was 3 corners atleast we looked to be missing next yr. the smith pick was definately not a luxury pick..he just happened to fall to a great spot for us..a spot our fo knew he would be at thus letting them grab white with our first 2nd.

padre31padre31Luxury Box
Jul 14, 2009, 01:58 PM

"alen1 wrote:

They probably talked to teams to see who they were targeting and figured if they can move down and pick up an extra pick while getting their guy, then why not?

That would be an interesting bit of insider type info Alen, Ireland dialed up Carolina and asked "who are you taking at #57? Your not taking Sean Smith are you?"

I've never heard of that happening before during a draft, typically teams keep the players they like close to the vest and they have little reason to facilitate another team's trade back.

That situation would be ripe for skulduggery and tomfoolery...:lol:

padre31padre31Luxury Box
Jul 14, 2009, 02:00 PM

"m ino wrote:

i still take sean smith there. i wanted him over vontea but not with the number 1 pick so it worked out well for me atleast. your right about the fo thinking martin too small. it's been public that we want big,physical corners and we got 2 of the best in that draft. we still wouldv'e went 2 corners in the draft as this will probly be j.allens last yr as a phin also i expect to not have another corner like eric green and at the time will allen hadn't been extended yet so that was 3 corners atleast we looked to be missing next yr. the smith pick was definately not a luxury pick..he just happened to fall to a great spot for us..a spot our fo knew he would be at thus letting them grab white with our first 2nd.

Martin is 6-1 200 pds m ino, he is a large Cb.

Smith was BPA if luxury seems like a stretch.

Dol-Fan DupreeDol-Fan DupreeForum Veteran
Jul 14, 2009, 02:00 PM

"padre31 wrote:

That would be an interesting bit of insider type info Alen, Ireland dialed up Carolina and asked "who are you taking at #57? Your not taking Sean Smith are you?"

I've never heard of that happening before during a draft, typically teams keep the players they like close to the vest and they have little reason to facilitate another team's trade back.

That situation would be ripe for skulduggery and tomfoolery...:lol:

I just think they had a bunch of people rated about the same and would be happy with any of them. So trading down and picking up another pick is worth it.

I would still take Sean Smith

Holland is a huge upgrade over McCain

I want to be alive, I am alive! Alive, I tell you! Mother, I love you, those are no longer just words. I want to hold you, I want to run in a stream, I want to taste ice cream but not just put it in my mouth and let it slide down my throat but really eat it. - Robot Morty

ALalen1New Member
Jul 14, 2009, 02:02 PM

"padre31 wrote:

That would be an interesting bit of insider type info Alen, Ireland dialed up Carolina and asked "who are you taking at #57? Your not taking Sean Smith are you?"

I've never heard of that happening before during a draft, typically teams keep the players they like close to the vest and they have little reason to facilitate another team's trade back.

That situation would be ripe for skulduggery and tomfoolery...:lol:

It wouldn't surprise me.

padre31padre31Luxury Box
Jul 14, 2009, 02:09 PM

"Dol-Fan Dupree wrote:

I just think they had a bunch of people rated about the same and would be happy with any of them. So trading down and picking up another pick is worth it.

I would still take Sean Smith

IMO, thinking about who went were in the draft order, someone really fell in love with Sean Smith, but maybe Ireland wasn't as in love with the pick and risked losing him via trading back.

To me, that trade back screams "compromise" between say Ireland and Bowles via Sparano, and Alen could be "right" about the Panthers informing us who they were planning on taking as a form of quid pro quo, the Panthers leapt us to take Everette Brown at #43, could be some chatting went on between us and Carolina.

I'd take Smith as well, there are some more interesting players in the #56-#63 slots in this draft.

Brown42000Brown42000New Member
Jul 14, 2009, 02:24 PM

I'll still take Sean Smith.

PHPHINANALYSTForum Veteran
Jul 14, 2009, 02:29 PM

i would guess that they had 2 targets at that spot, Martin and Smith ... and once Martin was gone - they did not want to risk not getting Smith. That would be the only logical explaination ... unless the team we traded with was known to want a CB and/or Smith -- just not a badly as we did.

gunn34gunn34New Member
Jul 14, 2009, 02:42 PM

"Brown42000 wrote:

I'll still take Sean Smith.

DITTO!!:up:

DOLFANMIKEDOLFANMIKELuxury Box
Jul 14, 2009, 02:54 PM

Sean Smith was the perfect pick at that spot.


1972: THE ONLY PERFECT SEASON

WELCOME TO MIAMI:
WR J. Waddle
EDGE J. Phillips

GridIronKing34GridIronKing34Forum Veteran
Jul 14, 2009, 03:00 PM

I wanted Smith at that spot, wouldn't change it.

MuckMuckRetired Admin
Jul 14, 2009, 04:03 PM

Sean Smith

Make the throwback uniforms permanent!

PhinsRockPhinsRockLuxury Box
Jul 14, 2009, 05:23 PM

Not voting because I want Sean Smith, period.

2011 & 2006 World Champions, 2013 National League Champions; St. Louis Cardinals!

MIm inoNew Member
Jul 14, 2009, 07:05 PM

"padre31 wrote:

Martin is 6-1 200 pds m ino, he is a large Cb.

Smith was BPA if luxury seems like a stretch.

my bad.i was just going by an earlyier post suggesting he may have been passed by our fo due to being small. bpa sounds better.thanks for the clarification padre.