1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scout says Derrick Morgan will be fins pick 100%

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by Jackson, Apr 18, 2010.

1. Jackson

Jackson Bruce Banner

Mar 24, 2008
    Connecticut/Florida
    http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thed...morgan-100-percent-the-pick-for-the-dolphins/

But back in February, one NFL scout caught wind of the the team’s interest in Georgia Tech pass rusher Derrick Morgan.

Two months later, the scout has no doubt the team is going to select Morgan with the No. 12 pick if he’s available Thursday night.

“I 100 percent do,” the scout said. “He’s the guy. I can’t guarantee it, but if I was a betting man I would put my money on Morgan.

Could be a good fit. I would like Earl Thomas at 12 but I understand why taking a safety lower is preferred.

I like how the scout says 100 percent. and then promptly says "I can't guarantee it. lol.

2. The G Man

The G Man Git 'r doooonnne!!!

Mar 18, 2009
    Well, if he still OTB, and they don't/can't trade down, I guess I'd be cool with taking him at #12. I mean, I have to assume they know better than me that he can me the conversion to being a rush OLB.

Having said that, this could be just another smoke screen, so we shall see.

3. 2k5

2k5 I miss Ted Ginn Jr.

Nov 28, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI

4. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I'd be happy with Derrick Morgan coming out of round 1 Friday morning. I'd be happier if we've traded down and added a 2nd rounder in addition to drafting an OLB.

Killerphins likes this.
  5. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    i would rather the pick not be morgan but considering all the griping i've done about our LB corps it wouldn't be right of me to complain
    i think brandon graham would be a better fit for our defense though

6. bakedmatt

bakedmatt Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Why do you prefer Graham?

7. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    I prefer his versatility. The guy could probably play each LB spot in our system imo. Although he won't be asked to do so.
    Graham gets to the point of attack very quickly. Led the nation in tackles behind the LOS. He has a huge motor and never quits. His knock is his height but we have seen other guys be dominant in the NFL at that size.
    Graham reminds me a lot of Lamar Woodley.

8. RoninFin4

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I agree, I like Graham better than Morgan. As CK noted in a few threads, it might just be splitting hairs with this front office in terms of the OLB position and the size parameters they require.

Personally I'd rather trade down if possible and take a shot at landing a guy like Hughes in the ladder part of round 1 or early part of round two (say Philly's pick). It wouldn't surprise me if they took a shot at a guy like Everson Griffen there either. He fits the size/speed parameters, but doesn't quite check all the boxes in the "make-up" department.

A small part of me thinks that stemming from the "surprise" pick that was mentioned in the Gil Brandt thread could be Maurkice Pouncey. I'm not sure what you'd do after that - shoot for Everson Griffen or Sergio Kindle.

9. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

wow he went to high school pretty close by to me

10. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    I would be very dissapointed with Morgan. I dont think he fits the 3-4 well at all, and I dont think he would be a starter at OLB.

11. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    i would love to move down and still be able to land graham in a perfect world for me. jerry hughes i like but i have concerns about his ability to set the edge against the run. from what i've seen of him he gets overpowered there at times but as a pass rusher i have no complaints. maybe i havent seen enough but he does look good to me except for what i mentioned.

funny thing about the surprise pick. we were on the same track with OL only a different player. you said pouncey i was thinking iupati.

12. RoninFin4

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Iupati would be a surprise as well, and it very well could be him. I know Boomer reported they met with him and worked him out.

Killerphins likes this.
  13. PhinsRDbest

PhinsRDbest Transform and Transcend

Jan 5, 2010
    the next dimension
    Just remember this FO drafted Anthony Spencer instead of Lamar Woodley. So I can see Morgan instead of Graham.

14. LandShark13

LandShark13 New Member

Oct 20, 2009
    North Miami
    I'm 100% sure this scout is correct. Don't quote me on it though.

finyank13 likes this.
  15. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    you will never see me arguing about spencer. i would love to have a disruptive LB like him all day. wow
    that 2007 linebacker class was amazing

16. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    the view is great from the top of the fence :lol:
    i would love to know your take on morgan

17. LandShark13

LandShark13 New Member

Oct 20, 2009
    North Miami
    He's going to be an absolute stud. Sure fire HOF'r. I expect him to average around 15-20 sacks a season. However I wouldn't bet on it nor should you quote me on it.

18. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    :lol:

no worries :hi5:

LandShark13 likes this.
  19. PHINANALYST

PHINANALYST Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2008
    North Carolina
    i don't doubt this at all -- assuming Berry isn't available, and we do pick at 12 ...

he can easily come in, start on as a SOLB and play at a Roth level ... which is all we really need. He might even give us improved performance from Roth.

the only other players in rd 1 for me are Odrick and Hughes (Graham) if we trade down at least once.

Anderson wasn't that bad as a WOLB when he filled in for JP, and then there is still the Plan B - JT option ... and the Wake wildcard .... so Morgan is a 'safe' pick for us.

20. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    I agree Morgan is built to be a 4-3 DE. He plays stiff to me and that is as a DE. I think the transition would be a project and we can not afford to be drafting a project at LB when we already have one in Cam Wake. Especially with a pick as valuable as the #12. We have to nail that pick if we keep it and get a sure fire starter on D. I honestly don't see Morgan being our pick. I too would be disappointed if he is.

21. PHINANALYST

PHINANALYST Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2008
    North Carolina
    the only thing i can counter that with is ... Roth wasn't exactly athletic either -- i believe he could walk in and start at SOLB immediately and get better as the season progresses.

LandShark13 likes this.