1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Science's attempt at explaining Exodus

Discussion in 'Religion and Spirituality' started by shula_guy, Feb 27, 2011.

1. [video=youtube;E3kEPghRDTs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3kEPghRDTs[/video]

It is an 1 1/2 hr clip but I think its well worth the time to watch. It is not meant to disprove the existence of God but rather an attempt to show through science how the miracles in the story of Exodus are very plausible to of happened as described in the Bible. I think the guy does a top notch job explaining how its possible that each of the 10 plagues happened exactly as described.

What I enjoyed about this video is that he takes you step by step showing the science behind each plague but by the time you reach the end it does not leave you with a different opinion on whether or not a God exists or not. In another words its not a cheap shot documentary on religion. It neither confirms or denies a persons beliefs, it only explains how they think the events might have unfolded. Basically he traces everything back to one single natural event that sets of a sequence of events that follow. If you believe in God you will say that God knowingly started the chain of events and if your secular you will say it was just a natural occurrence. I like that about the documentary.

Something else it does, that if accurate, it pinpoints specific dates in the story of Exodus that we did not have before and from a historical context I think that is a huge accomplishment. Not that this matters but I am an Atheist and do not subscribe to the existence of a God. I do however accept that the bible is one of our oldest known historical record of events which makes the book extremely valuable.

Anyhow I hope you all enjoy this as much as I did when I saw it.

phinnhedd likes this.
  2. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    My Browser does not show youtube links Shula Guy, is that the History Channel's documentary that mentions a Volcano?

One of the more interesting allusions I've heard pertaining to the time of Exodus is Homer's Illiad, when he is made a mercenary, concerned Egypt of that time period, and the Hebaru's were more or less a nomadic tribe who were fierce warriors whom the Pharoah hired to guard the Egyptian Frontier.

3. Yes that is the one. It was produced by James Cameron and it was shown on History channel. It is probably about 3 years old.

4. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Of course it makes precious little sense, that is aside from the notion that Exodus actually occured earlier than historians may have thought.

5. Really? you did not find his hypothesis a viable explanation? I do not know if things happened as he said but I think its very possible they did. I also think that if you put it into historical context and look at it as they would of looked at it in that time period, one could certainly believe that the way the bible recounts the events is as they would of perceived them at that time.

6. Ohiophinphan

Ohiophinphan Chaplain Staff Member Luxury Box

I first read this hypothesis in Reader's Digest about 45 years ago as the Minoan civilization and Santorini were just being opened up. Cameron just does it better. I find the dating the most interesting. The argument can do nothing in a faith debate however in that the religious person, even if accepting, can say, "But ah yes, look how God manipulated nature for His purposes" and how can we "prove" that isn't the case?

Still and all it is an interesting piece (if its the Cameron which I have seen multiple times. I could not get the link to work) and as I said Cameron does it very well and I enjoy Yakobovitch.

7. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

Is it science's attempt or someone's attempt at trying science. Those are very important distinctions.