1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Schefter: Cowboys Offered Late-Round Pick for Beck

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Caps, Aug 18, 2008.

1. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    bold prediction: beck for Bobby carpenter.

:couch:

2. like2god

like2god Typical white person Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    Meh, it's not uncommon for a QB to play well into his 30's, age really isn't an issue right now. If he developed right now he could easily play another 8 years in the league.

How dare you! [​IMG]

:wink2:

Carpenter might be squeezed out in Dallas, we'll have to see.

3. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Becks not going any where....he will be the third string QB...and learn...and develop...and then he will be given a chance to win the job next year..at which point..we will continue to keep him. The front office knows he has potential...maybe not for our team...but for someone elses....there is nothing to gain by releasing him, and everything to gain by developing him.

Common sense dictates this scenario.

4. Vendigo

Vendigo German Gigolo Club Member

Nov 30, 2007

I said that the value was different altogether. You draft a QB high, you say, hey, that's my QB of the future. The guy's having a lot of value for you because you've just invested a high draft pick in him but that doesn't mean that he's having a lot of value for everyone else. Just because Randy Mueller and Cam Cameron thought that he was worth a 2nd rounder last year doesn't mean that he's worth a 2nd rounder now. Name just one instance in which a 2nd year player without any sort of production whatsoever fetched anything near the pick that was used on him. Doesn't happen. In a way, it's funny really: People here consider the AJ Feeley trade the worst ever (and rightly so), yet they expect a team to trade for a guy that's got even less experience and a lot worse production than Feeley had for roughly the same price.

Uncle Rico likes this.
  5. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Look....we wouldnt be having this conversation if the Dolphins didnt absolutley just stumble into good luck with Chad Pennington. We have a very good starting QB that we just got for cash.

This doesnt change the development of both young QB's however, why should it?

6. keypusher

keypusher Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Lots of posts about who will be our third string quarterback this year...

7. Vendigo

Nov 30, 2007

Don't take it personally, mate, but I have the feeling that a lot of people here hear hooves and think zebras instead of horses. I don't like it myself but the FO all but spelled out that Beck isn't going to be their guy. As soon as Penny got here, Beck didn't get a single snap in the next preseason game - you do not do that with a QB you intend to develop. The media, of course, picked up on that and reported that Beck was on the block - and the FO didn't even bother to dispute the report. You do not do that with a QB you intend to develop. You also don't have to be a brainiac to figure out who leaked that offer of the Cowboys to Shefter. As I said, I like Beck and I wished he had gotten a fair shot here but I'm absolutely sure that he'll be gone by August 30 - barring the FO being able to somehow convince someone to shell out a pick for McCown.

8. keypusher

keypusher Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Because it's another roster slot. Assume you keep three quarterbacks, w/out Pennington, Beck and McCown both stay. Get Pennington, unless you keep four quarterbacks either Beck or McCown has to go.

9. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I disagree a bit, Henne is more valuable then Beck is at the moment, he had -0- experience even in preseason, that does not make Beck valueless just not first in line to get reps anymore.

Our FO is smart enough to know that times can change very quickly in the NFL, they are not just going to jettison Beck for nothing on August 30th.

But he will have reps, one way or another, Beck has intrinsic value even as a #3, more so then McCown, if Henne is #2, then whoever is the #3 won't matter (or at least it would be difficult to plan that way) so why not keep Beck over McCown?

As for being gone on August 30th, I doubt it, unless he is traded.

As I recall, Romo spent time as the #3 in Dallas...

vt_dolfan likes this.
  10. Vendigo

Nov 30, 2007

You're barking up the wrong tree. I'd keep Beck over McCown any day. I just don't think that the FO will and I agree, it would be pretty stupid. But that's the way I suspect it's going to play out. Don't shoot the messenger :wink2:

If it wasn't for Peyton practically begging Parcells to keep Romo around, we wouldn't even know his name by now. I'm afraid Beck is lacking a Payton ...

11. Larry Little

Larry Little Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    He's worth it to us... at least, IMHO he is. I don't care what he's worth to the Cardinals, divided by the Cowboys, minus the Patriots. Jason Taylor was worth a song to a lot of people... that was before camp started for the Washington Redskins.

Besides... you don't know how many teams had Beck on their radar when he was drafted. To one of those teams, he might still be worth a 2nd.

Brett Favre.

You're bringing the AJ Feeley trade into this? Seriously? Ugh... :pity:

Dude, with all due respect... and I really do mean that... can you find another example other than the AJ Feeley trade? That's not exactly the best 'QB Trade Barometer' out there.

12. Onehondo

Onehondo Senior Member Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    I guess Beck has shown someone some hint of talent or I am sure the Three Amigos would have shown him the door just like Cleo. Maybe he would blossom in a different system much like Steve Young did from Tampa Bay to San Fran, not that I think Beck is a Steve Young, just an example.
    I am not so sure I would want to keep McCown over Beck. Beck still has some possible upside and room to grow, whereas McCown is what he is and he hasn't distinguished himself to anybody, but thats JMO.

13. Vendigo

Nov 30, 2007

But you should care if you're talking about value. Because they for sure aren't going to care what he's worth to us :wink2:

True. But I consider it pretty safe to assume that if there was a team out there being that high on Beck and prepared to shell out a 2nd, Beck would be wearing its jersey by now.

See above. If there was a Ron Wolf having a man crush on Beck, they'd be hugging and holding hands by now.

That's why I brought it up in the first place. It's rightly considered a stupid trade and yet you claim that a QB with less experience and a lot less production should fetch the same price. I mean, if trading for Feeley based on a couple of mediocre starts was stupid, how stupid is it to trade for another QB with less starts and not even mediocre ones to boot?

14. TotoreMexico

TotoreMexico Your retarded

Jan 4, 2008
    Mexico
    [​IMG]

15. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Beck for Spears....

Insane prediction...Beck for (not a wr) Roy Williams...

:couch::ohmy:

Sethdaddy8 likes this.
  16. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    IMO, that would be the stupidest trade we'd ever make.

17. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Yup. Then Parcells changed his mind on Romo, and when he went to insert him into the lineup Jerry Jones didn't want him in, it felt like they were giving up on the season.

18. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Not if we traded "stupidest trade" for "worst trade"...:wink2:

And I don't know about that, a #2 for C-pepe was pretty bad, a #2 for Feeley was really bad....

19. Silverphin

Nov 25, 2007
    Well, you already know my view about the C-Pep things. But I definitely agree with Feeley.

But in this regime, trading developing QB for a safety who is bad at the one thing he SHOULD be good at (covering) would just be stupid.

20. Styla

Styla #1 Davone Bess Fan!!!

Apr 1, 2008
    Chillaxin' in So.Cal

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playernews.aspx?sport=NFL

21. Brown42000

Brown42000 Chillin

Nov 24, 2007
    RI
    That'd be dumb trade for Dallas not us and Roy Williams is an average safety.

22. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    Depends on what you think an average safety is.

If you mean tackling, then yes. If you mean covering, then no.

Silverphin likes this.
  23. BrazForPhins

BrazForPhins From south

May 4, 2008
    all this talk reminds me that we gave up a f******* second round pick for a friggin AJ Feeley

24. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    So first it's reported that Dallas dangled a pick. Then it's reported that Miami was the one asking.

Sounds to me then, these cancel out and nothing happened except a writer got bored?

25. Silverphin

Nov 25, 2007
    Exactly.

26. funkdat

funkdat New Member

Dec 12, 2007
    The post funk era
    Well i read on the 13th that Miami's FO had called every team in the NFL asking if they wanted Beck.

And that report came from John Clayton.

Mort must be bored now cuzz he's saying Miami is going to try and trade Ronnie Brown.That would be nuts!

27. YBFM

YBFM New Member

Aug 16, 2008
    Mmmmm, painful memories.....:no:

28. BrazForPhins

BrazForPhins From south

May 4, 2008
    man, wannstedt sucked so much

comparing the youth movement from his regime to the actual is night and day

29. Ludacris

Ludacris Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jan 8, 2008
    From Dallas Morning News:
    http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2008/08/no-beck-talks-yet.html
    I heard on WQAM that the Dolphins are calling every team in the NFL trying to trade him. I think Ireland is trying to create a market for Beck. Hopefully he can salvage a pick from somewhere but if he can't he may be forced to cut him.

30. Brown42000

Brown42000 Chillin

Nov 24, 2007
    RI
    Its only a matter of time until he is a goner and the board will be ready to riot in 3....2....1......