Sam Madison vs. Patrick Surtain

8 replies

btfu149btfu149Forum VeteranOP
Jan 14, 2020, 02:07 PM

As a younger Dolphin fan (30), I thought it would be fun to discuss older Dolphins now that it’s the off-season for us. Of course I remember both players fondly but my football comprehension wasn’t nearly as good back then as it is now, who was better?

TheHighExhaultedTheHighExhaultedForum Veteran
Jan 14, 2020, 02:23 PM

I would say their careers were very similar. Both had dominant stretches at one point. I feel like Madison did it longer though and was notorious for getting into a receivers head and completely taking him out of the game.

Dol-Fan DupreeDol-Fan DupreeForum Veteran
Jan 14, 2020, 02:25 PM

My feeling was Surtain was better, however, they were both great.

Holland is a huge upgrade over McCain

I want to be alive, I am alive! Alive, I tell you! Mother, I love you, those are no longer just words. I want to hold you, I want to run in a stream, I want to taste ice cream but not just put it in my mouth and let it slide down my throat but really eat it. - Robot Morty

AGAGuyNamedAlexForum Veteran
Jan 14, 2020, 02:30 PM

I would say Madison was probably better honestly. Surtain was probably a slightly better ball hawk but Madison would shut down #1 receivers and make it look easy. Surtain would give up more plays IMO.

Puka-headPuka-headSupporter
Jan 14, 2020, 05:00 PM

Sam Madison. For his time in Miami and for picking off Brady in the Super Bowl to seal the deal and end what would have been an undefeated year for the patsies.
He could be getting another SB ring this year. He is the Chiefs CB coach.

Surtain was a baller no doubt. Would be sweet if his baby boy became a Dolphin too.

Mcduffie81Mcduffie81Supporter
Jan 14, 2020, 06:13 PM

They were both awesome. Madison was cooler. He was feisty.

"There is nothing to fear, except everyone trying to tackle me." - Ted Ginn Jr.

The GuyThe GuyForum Veteran
Jan 14, 2020, 08:39 PM

My impression was always that Surtain was technically better, but that Madison had a bigger penchant for making big plays. Surtain could shut down your top receiver with his technique better than Madison could, but Madison would peel off of his man and pick the ball off when it was intended for a different guy, for example.

TheHighExhaultedTheHighExhaultedForum Veteran
Jan 14, 2020, 08:44 PM
HIhitman8Forum Veteran
Jan 15, 2020, 06:01 AM

"The Guy wrote:

My impression was always that Surtain was technically better, but that Madison had a bigger penchant for making big plays. Surtain could shut down your top receiver with his technique better than Madison could, but Madison would peel off of his man and pick the ball off when it was intended for a different guy, for example.

I actually got the opposite impression. It seemed to me surtain was a slightly better athlete and was faster than Madison, however Madison made up for it with better technique and instincts. Surtain was better at covering quicker recievers while madison was better covering physical recievers. I would say Madison was the better overall CB, but they were both pretty good and fairly equal in their level of play. They were probably the best CB duo in the NFL in the early 2000s.