1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ryan Tannehill signs

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by byroan, Jul 28, 2012.

1. PhinsRDbest

PhinsRDbest Transform and Transcend

Jan 5, 2010
    the next dimension
    The "mole hill" was supposed to be signing a 1st round pick, with the slotting these deals were supposed to go down quick and easy. But some team decided to make a "mountain" out of it.

LandShark13 likes this.
  2. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    Now get your *** on the field, win the starting job, and throw me 35 touchdowns STAT.

Phyl, Ohio Fanatic and PhinsRDbest like this.
  3. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    once again, the fans make a much bigger deal out of it than it really is

4. gandalfin

gandalfin Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 10, 2007
    Kissimmee, Florida
    Glad this got done. CK, Rafael, Muck's, and other posts with like sentiment elequently put it in perspective. It was a foolish position for our FO to get into, and is certainly disconcerting. It sounds like Tannehill's agent did most of the giving, so I'm not giving much credit to our FO at all. However, I hope Tannehill can now get in there and compete. Pads are on tomorrow!

rafael likes this.
  5. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

I liked this thought until I asked myself if I could imagine who could combine to catch 35 TDs on this team and realized there was no way in hell this WR, TE and RB corps was gonna combine for more than 25 TDs... Tops. And that may be generous.

Pray I'm wrong.

Re: Tanny. Glad the kid pushed for this to get done, if that's how it went down. The immature rook had to help the 'grown up' GM and agent find a solution to save their egos and reputations. Sheesh.

6. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Huge coup for owners IMO. Stephen Ross will probably get some pats on the back.

7. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Oh come on, guys...this is what is referred to as negotiations... With the new CBA, about the only thing the rookie has to negotiate about is this offset language...no big deal the team wasn't looking foolish because they were trying to get a little better deal, just like Tanny's camp wasn't looking to hold out for weeks and weeks to get the deal done. I don't get the negativity against this team because it's doing what every other team is doing or wants to do?? And that is IF the offset language was a) as simple a difference as CK was describing and b) if it was really the holdup to getting the deal done (I have a very hard time believing anything our local media morons report)...

Much ado about nothing...

RevRick, JMHPhin, Den54 and 1 other person like this.
  8. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    Not that hard, imo

Chad Johnson 7 TD
    Brian Hartline 6 TD
    Davone Bess 6 TD
    Other WR 2 TD
    Anthony Fasano 5 TD
    Charles Clay 3 TD
    Other TE 1 TD
    Reggie Bush 3 TD
    Daniel Thomas 1 TD
    Lamar Miller 1 TD

9. Den54

Den54 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 23, 2007
    AMERICA!
    Correct and Ireland as well...

Per Omar

Would be irresponsible if I didn't point out Dolphins GM Jeff Ireland pulled out a major victory for NFL teams with 1st RD "offset" language

steveincolorado and azfinfanmang like this.
  10. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Right, so the ENTIRE thing was on the team once again. Ireland really failed us this time. Guess you don't get to fly that "Fire Ireland" banner this time. Is it too late to get a refund?

The FO did well to get an offset included in this, and for mere pittance to boot. Now NOBODY has to worry as much whether or not Tanny pans out as the QBOF

11. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007

Whats going on brother?
    How's the weather your direction?
    Was just having a LONG conversation with a friend that just got back from Disney World, which of course made me think of you...and damn rum drinks lol

Hope all is good!

12. Den54

Nov 23, 2007
    AMERICA!
    Very hot down here. So glad I invested in a new C/H/A system for the house last year.
    This is one of the worst times of the year to go to Disney World imo.

Any how, all is well and very glad to see ya around here.

azfinfanmang likes this.
  13. Rick 1966

Rick 1966 Professional Hipshooter

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    Hey Dennis, how's the shoulder?

14. PhinGeneral

PhinGeneral PC Texas A&M, Bro Club Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Swamps of Jersey
    FYI- Tannehill is not going to be in pads today as apparently the new CBA does not allow a player to practice in pads for at least 2 days after they sign. I heard that tidbit on Sirius NFL radio this morning.

15. JMHPhin

JMHPhin Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Ohio
    it isnt what you want to have any holdout, but really Ireland is supposed to cave because fans will criticize him? Offset language is a bad thing? is the GM a representative of the team or teh player?

Life is over because Ireland didnt just do what all other gms did. If it was a protracted holdout I agree with you then 1 o 2 days when teh talks are cordial and you are making progress is no big deal

ToddPhin and RevRick like this.
  16. JMHPhin

JMHPhin Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Ohio
    Yes as a fan it looks silly that he held out at all and given how the media has prtrayed everything, there is a real danger of looking foolish again. I agree, however, teh GM cannot act out of fear of what will be reported by teh media IMO

steveincolorado and azfinfanmang like this.
  17. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Exactly, that's why having an OC spend a few hours with him only has limited value and why every rep is valuable.

18. FinNasty

FinNasty Alabama don’t want this... Staff Member Club Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Agreed. However, I think the value of those missed reps spread across the thousands he will take over the course of this grooming season will be negligent in the end. Every rep is valuable, but if he missed a couple practices with a sore shoulder or the flu, it wouldn't be a big step back. And the fact that it's the first couple of install days doesn't hurt him as much as it would any other rookie that wasn't already comfortable in the offense.

BTW, he was the 2nd best QB on the field today. I'll have the report up later today.

19. Den54

Nov 23, 2007
    AMERICA!
    Great, the scope went well. The labrum had a fray that was catching in the socket.
    Everything else looked good. Three small incisions in the shoulder and I'm already out of the sling after a couple of days.

Da 'Fins likes this.
  20. Rick 1966

Rick 1966 Professional Hipshooter

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    Good to hear! I expect to see you back in the gym soon. Gotta be in shape so you can throw things at the screen come football season!

21. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    You're welcome for preventing this.

Sent from my iPhone

22. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    I had what sounds like almost identical surgery about 7 years ago at Wake Forest. Torn labrum (also had bursitis and a torn bicep tendon) - all done under a scope.

23. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    I just don't think RT missing two days is going to mean much. I don't doubt he's been looking at the offense; spending time in the playbook; and he had some mini camp time. It will take him a little bit to catch up but I expect him to have a good work ethic and, assuming he does, he'll be where he would have been regardless by the time the first pre-season game rolls around. Had he missed an entire week of camp, that would have been different. There is still an install going on. But, there are plenty of times players miss 2-3 days of camp due to illness, small injury, personal family matters, etc. and no one makes a big deal about it.

He should get a good bit of reps in practice and in the preseason games. But, with 3 QB's competing for a position - it is going to be interesting. I don't think competition is always good but at this point it is. It forces a player to work hard to raise his game. Once established, however, a QB needs to know he is the starter and has the team's confidence.

I'm just hoping for a little bit of excitement in this offense. There are plenty of intriguing, albeit young weapons. Hopefully several of them will pan out over the next 3-4 years.

24. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Ireland actually did something right? Perish forbid!!! :shifty:

25. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I think it was insanely stupid of Ireland and the front office to allow this to get to a situation where Tannehill missed a single minute of camp. Teams picking at #1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 9 and 14 all felt the offset issue was so marginal and unimportant that they allowed the agents to have their small, symbolic victory and moved on. Not Jeff Ireland, no way. He's got to be seen as the guy that sticks to his guns.

And now you listen to the coaches talking about Ryan Tannehill (see Hyde's article on Tannehill, quotes from Sherman, quotes from inside the building)...and there never was this plan in place to sit Tannehill this year. They've been adamant that the job is "w-i-i-i-d-e open". That's the second time I heard that stated off the record to a reporter. The first time, someone told that to Jeff Darlington. He asked if Tannehill is really expected to be a valid part of the competition and the answer was (and I believe this is exact wording) "Hell yes!" Now they're saying the same to Hyde and meanwhile Sherman is blasting people for ever suggesting he was behind the other two quarterbacks in the first place.

So the logic that the holdout was meaningless because Tannehill isn't expected to start...is bogus. They expect him to compete and they're actively rooting for him to win the job. Jeff Ireland let this get into a three day holdout just because he's hard-headed.

PhinsRDbest likes this.
  26. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    I've probably already said this too many times already, but I still don't necessarily believe this was all Ireland's doing. If you look at the way NFL owners have been able to claw back compensation from the players, its always been incremental. This year it was one team that took that money from the players. Next year it might be a few. In 5 years, it will be a lot more. It will be enough to the point that the NFLPA will not be happy about it.

The NFL owners under Goodell have done a great job of creating negotiating points out of issues that they created themselves. Remember the 18 game schedule? Did the owners ever really want that? Or just want the NFLPA to be scared of it, so they could concede on another negotiating point. Now when the NFLPA sits down for the next collective bargaining negotiation, they'll have to fight for this issue, which means they'll likely have less room to maneuver on other things.

I've been through many negotiations, so maybe I'm being cynical. But I think my theory is a lot more logical than Jeff Ireland just wanting to be a dick over $500k. This screams of incremental clawback to me.

27. FinNasty

Dec 1, 2007
    I'm not ready to go there yet CK. I'd like to see him against some better competition before I'd be ready to say that. Of course they are actively rooting for him to win the job. They'd love for him to come in, dominate, and start tearing up the league ASAP. However I still believe the best course of action with him is to bring him along slowly until not only he is 100% ready for it… but also until the team is 100% ready for him.

28. FinNasty

Dec 1, 2007
    I believe the number was more around 3mil if I understand the offset language correctly...

29. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    You didn't say anything that contradicts what I just got done saying.

30. FinNasty

Dec 1, 2007
    I thought I did? lol

I said as of right now... I still dont believe Tannehill is expected to start. Therefore, I do not agree that "the logic that the holdout was meaningless because Tannehill isn't expected to start...is bogus".

31. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Actually it was the other way around. I was initially under the impression that the offset language was a new thing thought up by the teams. It's not. Most contracts last year had the offset language but I believe it was St. Louis who bucked the trend and signed a deal that was fully guaranteed with no offset. That was the toehold agents needed to break the issue wide open for top 15 picks. This year all the teams caved because they realized A) it mattered very little to them, B) there was a structural imbalance that made the issue much more important to the individual player than to the team.

Pick by pick, the teams all allowed the agents for their picks to have a "small" victory the teams deemed to be mostly symbolic.

I don't think Jeff Ireland ever wants to be seen as caving on an issue. I think it's a principle thing for him, not just $500k. The #8 overall pick last year probably had this offset language in his deal, so he was going to have it. If he caves, what else will he cave on? This is the guy that loves to bring guys in for visits, woo them and then never even make a contract offer, essentially wasting these players' time, because he is usually not willing to pay market value. Small things become a big deal to this man.

32. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    That's not a contradiction.

33. FinNasty

Dec 1, 2007
    OK... then I'm not sure how I need to word it to be a contradiction.

I dont think Tannehill is expected to start... and therefore I dont think the logic that the holdout is meaningless b/c he isnt expected to start is bogus.

I'm disagreeing with that sentence that I bolded in the original quote... however that needs to be worded.

34. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Perhaps I should change my wording from "because Tannehill is not expected to start" to "because Tannehill is expected to not start".

Semantics, but perhaps it emphasizes that you're still not contradicting or disagreeing with the point I was making.

35. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    You two have me confused as hell. I think he DOES mean he thinks there is very little chance they think Tannehill will start are so the short delay was meaningless. CK you obviously believe the opposite and that it was meaningful....

36. FinNasty

Dec 1, 2007
    lol now you've lost me. I dont even know the difference between those 2 sentences.

I'll put it this way. I still think the 2 practices missed from the holdout were meaningless since I dont think hes going to see the field for a while.

37. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I think missing those 2 practices is meaningless even if he sees the field in Game 1.

FinNasty likes this.
  38. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    But what do you think the DOLPHINS believe?

39. FinNasty

Dec 1, 2007
    The same thing. I don't think the Dolphins believe Tannehill and/or the rest of the team will be ready for him to be the starter early on in the season. Therefore, I think the Dolphins think those 2 missed practices are meaningless on the big picture.

40. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    So then you're disregarding the multiple sources that have emphatically re-emphasized to multiple reporters that Ryan Tannehill is very much on equal footing in the competition and they expect good things from him? You're disregarding Mike Sherman's on record quotes about him? You think internally it's known that he's sitting for at least part of the year?