1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ryan Mallett vs Alabama

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by KB21, Feb 11, 2011.

1. KB21

KB21 Almost Never Wrong Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    This is a video of every offensive snap the Arkansas Razorbacks had against the Alabama Crimson Tide in 2010. I feel this is a good overall video that gives you a good view of the good, potentially great, and the very bad characteristics of Ryan Mallett's overall game. Note that I did not compile this video. This video was compiled by someone who posts at mockingthedraft.com.

[video=youtube;KQN35KzlRnA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQN35KzlRnA[/video]

This is a great example of how Ryan Mallett's play gave his team a chance to win the game, but it also shows how his play also lost the game for his team.

A few things. First, Arkansas plays a great deal out of the shot gun, but they are not complete shot gun oriented team. This is a spread formation, but this spread formation is a lot closer to what Dennis Erickson, Scott Linehan, and John L. Smith have used in the past as opposed to the spreads that we see at Texas Tech, Houston, Oklahoma, and Missouri. Ryan Mallett does take several snaps from under center and has experience with dropping back in the pocket.

Most of his drop back situations are three step drops. Arkansas also does a decent job of rolling him out off of play action. Ryan also seems to play well within the running game.

Early on in this game, you see the good and potentially great Ryan Mallett. He is doing a great job of scanning the field, going through his reads and progressions, and making good, quick decisions. He does a good job of progressing from reading down the field to coming back for his check down play. Many plays were designed plays to get the ball quickly to the running backs, whether they were screen routes or simple swing passes.

Overall, he sets up well in the pocket with a wide base.....has a short stride into his throws....quick release....his ball placement isn't the best in the world as several times his receivers had to go high for the ball or make some sort of adjustment....when he sets his feet, he typically delivers a good, accurate ball....the arm strength is obvious, probably the strongest arm in the draft.

One instance that shows some of the things he is going to have to learn happened early on in the game. Arkansas had a 7-0 lead and a chance to go up 14-0. They were inside the 20 yard line. On a third down play, I believe it was, Ryan throws an interception in the back of the endzone. This is an instance where Ryan shows that he can get a little greedy. The guy he threw the ball to was blanketed in the endzone, but Ryan threw it anyway. This is an instance where he got now points whereas if he just makes a good decision and throws the ball through the uprights, Arkansas comes away with a field goal and likely 10-0 lead at that time.

Another thing that I notice is that Ryan is very inconsistent with his mechanics. When he isn't paying attention to making sure he sets his feet, he has a tendancy to throw some very poor balls. Also, there are times where he shows he can side step pressure and step up in the pocket, and there are times where he completely lets his eye level go down and all hades breaks out.

Late in the game though, you see the bad Ryan Mallett. He gets greedy trying to do too much. With a 20-17 lead, Ryan has plenty of time to make a throw, and he makes a terrible decision trying to go down the field and throws an interception. Because of that interception, Alabama goes up 24-20. When he gets the ball back, he has time to take his team down the field. The final snap he takes in this game, he gets pressure and simply makes a terrible decision with how he throws the ball. It is hard to determine if he was actually trying to get the ball to the receiver in the area or if he was trying to throw it away. However, the game ended with an interception, and Arkansas loses.

The footage you see of Ryan Mallett here is basically a snap shot of what I've seen from him all season. There are times where he looks like the best quarterback in the country, reading the field, making good decisions, taking the check down when the big play isn't there, and making the big play when it is there. Then there are times where he just makes you scratch your head and wonder what in the hell he was thinking. The tools are there to work with. This is a player that you aren't going to have to coach very much to play in a pro style offense. You aren't going to have to break him down and teach him reads. The biggest issues on the field he has are mechanical and mental at times, and the latter is when he gets in that mindset that he can make every throw out there no matter how covered his receiver is.

Another thing I noticed in this game, because I noticed this against Mississippi State and against Ohio State as well. His receivers drop a lot of passes. Against OSU, I bet he had 6 dropped passes. In this game, I counted at least 3 dropped passes out of what, 12 incomplete passes.

If you are just looking at the film of him though, you come away with a solid first round grade on him. Yeah, there are some things he needs to work on, but he is not going to have to make a drastic chance.

Unfortunately, you have to take into account things that you don't see on film. This is a player who will have a lot of interest in his background and character checks. There are rumors out there, but rumors are just that. The only thing that is known fact at this point is that Ryan was arrested for DUI early in his Arkansas career. The rumors surround his use of illicit drugs such as marijuana and cocaine. Those are things that will be checked out by every NFL security staff.

Another thing we don't know is his work ethic off the field. Is Ryan Mallett a guy who is going to put the time in the film room and weight room to get better and keep his body in shape?

This is a guy that I would put his relative upside in the area of a Joe Flacco or possibly even as high as a Drew Bledsoe in his younger years. However, his down side could be as big as Ryan Leaf. If everything on him checks out, then I could get behind taking him with the 15th pick of the draft. If something comes up as a red flag though, then I don't take the chance.

2. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well KB, Mallet is my first choice among Rd #1 Qb's as I think his problems are largely correctable, and an aggressive Qb is what is needed to flourish in the NFL of Today, to me the game as it is now calls for more deep passing than anytime since the 70's, the rule changes to me do not lead to more flags being thrown what they allow for is the Wr to manhandle the Defensive Back and make the play down the field.

My question about him is when a defender comes in unblocked due to a missed assignment, or he has the hell knocked out of him in a game, how he will deal with it, right now I suspect he will go ballistic on the guy who messed up..and you can't have that in your Qb.

3. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    Last year, that would have been the case. I feel that Ryan did a much better job of controlling his emotions in 2010, whether it was instances where he went ballistic on a teammate or an instance where he got himself too high with excitement after a good play and spent entirely too much energy.

4. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    But that is the thing though, that stuff is on film and Ireland and Parcells take no chances.

Has Mallet had the 20 wins and x number of starts in the NCAA?

5. pocoloco

pocoloco I'm your huckleberry Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    North Chicagoland
    Not to sound all Wanny like, but I will. What can Mallett do that Henne can't?

They both seem to bring very similar things to the table from what I can gather.

If we liked Henne, we will also like Mallett automatically. But if we can't 'fix' Henne, what's the point in bringing Mallet in?

Gabbert and Newton are the only QBs I would draft in round 1, and I would only draft Newton in a trade down situation

6. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    He played in 37 career games, had 29 career starts, and his team won 21 of the 29 games he started. Arkansas won 18 of the 26 starts he had with them, and at Michigan, the Wolverines won all 3 games he started when he was playing for an injured Chad Henne during his true freshman season.

padre31 likes this.
  7. Gunner

Gunner Rock Hunter

Jan 5, 2008
    Mobile, AL
    I don't care if we bring Marino out of retirement ... all I want is a QB worth a hoot and an OC that can game plan to his strengths

8. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts

Close, didn't Parcell's must haves include 3 yr starter, 25 wns, and a completion percentage?

Normally I'd scoff at such a rigid standard..but...

9. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    If you want to just break down this particular game, ok..

I saw nothing impressive to me, nothing that 10 other QB's could'nt of done, I see someone who gets a bit shoddy after the first read isn't there, and inaccurate when he throws after that first read isn't there..I didnt see a player calmly going thru his reads progressions, I saw a player that was going to go to the primary regardless of coverage.I saw a player that loves the checkdown, a player that milks his stats..I saw a QB that didn't test the intermediate to deep part of the field, and someone who on a few occasions sh$3 the bed. I saw in that game what ive seen his whole career, a 57 percent passer in college...

I wouldn't take him at 15 if I knew i could get CKAP later and Ingram with our first.

10. PhinGeneral

PhinGeneral PC Texas A&M, Bro Club Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Swamps of Jersey
    Mallett's a guy I've become more intrigued with lately. There's a lot there that he's shown he can do, and quite well. But there's also the inconsistencies and character concerns. If the Dolphins did draft him I'd tend to worry a lot less about those character concerns, as I think the Dolphins are one the most diligent organizations in football when it comes to identifying true character problems. The inconsistencies and late game meltdowns worry me, though. How much of that can be truly ironed out, and how much of it may be fatal?

I'm not too put off by fact that he isn't particularly considered a mobile QB. Despite the fact he needs improvement on his footwork he should be mobile enough if he works at it, IMO. Last I checked Brady and Manning were still 2 of the best QB's in the business, and while Aaron Rodgers has received a lot of positives for his feet the other aspects of his game would still make him a top flight QB even if wasn't quite as mobile. I understand Sparano has gotten a bit infatuated with guys who can get chunk yardage by keeping plays alive with their feet, and that's all well and good. But you can also get chunk yardage when you have a QB that's adept at throwing the deep ball like Mallett is, and you can get chunk yardage by the sheer threat of the long pass opening up more more intermediate stuff or allowing the type of YAC routes a guy like Marshall thrives in.

KB21 likes this.
  11. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Your first question- good point, I was thinking the same thing a few minutes ago. The skill set is similar to Henne's- but with one big difference imo- Mallett is more accurate. That being said, I view Mallett as a late 1st/early to mid 2nd guy. I'm not thrilled with him, but I prefer him to a Jimmy Claussen from last year, a guy who I just could never get on board with.

Gabbert and Newton- I like Gabbert and still consider Newton to be quite the risk- reading defenses and character/personality wise he just rubs me the wrong way. He strikes me as being full of it and insincere, saying whatever about leadership, his off field issues at Auburn, etc. as a blatant attempt to jockey himself as high up the draft board as he can go. Understandable in some regards, but I just don't like him. Boom or bust. Newton- pass.

I still cant' help but focus on one guy- Christian Ponder. In my mind- injuries aside- he's the closest to the total package in terms of skill set and intangibles, with Gabbert possibly an exception, not sure. Grab him at #15 or trade down in the 1st and get him. If that idiot Brad Childress was still with the Vikings I could see them taking Jake Locker at #12. Now- who knows, maybe the Vikings would take Ponder there in this screwy draft.

Personally I'd like to see us pick up D'Angelo Williams in FA, re-sign Ricky Williams and feed him the rock, and draft Ponder. If not Ponder then Gabe Carimi or Mike Pouncy. First choice- draft Ponder, pull the trigger and move on. If Henne eventually works out- great. But the position HAS to be solved. Still like Scott Tolzien in later rounds and antoher guy from Wisconsin- John Clay- could be right up our alley and available in the 4th rd or so. Still like Mark Herzlich, Mario Harvey and Greg Little.