1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RUMOR: Stephen Ross met with Scouts, Inc's Mike Giddings Jr. in last 72 hours

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by ckparrothead, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Patssuck

Patssuck Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2012
    M.I.A
    Agreed. Holding on for dear life to his autographed picture of Ireland.

2. schmolioot

schmolioot Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    Yep, although that didn't work out to well for Huizenga.

Chuck Neimas named himself Big 12 comissioner, and of course Dick Cheney is the ultimate example

3. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    yes, but would there need to be a waiting period so that any recently discussed information has sufficient time to become distanced and no longer potentially advantageous to the team hiring him?

4. UCF FINatic

UCF FINatic The Miami Dolphins select

Apr 17, 2008
    On 1st round picks? Yes. Ireland should be able to tell you what he ate for dinner before every game.

Plus, that tips your hand asking for other opinions. If Ireland doesn't trust himself or his eyes, or can't convince Ross to trust him then why is he here?

5. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Maybe but also could be viewed as part of the attractiveness. Just spitballing here but this guy's been meeting with GMs and Head Coaches around the league for years, been observing their rosters and grading them for years, to say he knows the lay of the land as far as tendencies and ways of thinking might be a bit of an understatement.

Bpk and ToddPhin like this.
  6. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    That's not what I meant at all.

7. byroan

byroan Giggity Staff Member Administrator Luxury Box

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    I've had to delete some posts. Please stay on topic.

Paul 13 likes this.
  8. UCF FINatic

Apr 17, 2008
    No. I think he does ratings at certain times of the year. I think his draft book comes out 8 weeks before the draft, so we would be good there.

9. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Find me the prop bet that asks whether Jeff Ireland will be fired or not.

10. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Right, my point is that he wasn't incarceratedbob until he actually started these types of things.

11. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    So basically it's the Carl Peterson non-story again?

[​IMG]

12. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    Thats not the point. If he's getting that info, he has some type of access to inside information.

13. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    Sorry, this doesn't make a lick of sense. It is always a good idea to get 2nd opinions. ESPECIALLY on first round picks. Only a fool wouldn't get multiple opinions. ESPECIALLY on first round picks.

eltos_lightfoot and Steve-Mo like this.
  14. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    Either way, if this somehow manages to be true, I wouldn't be upset with Giddings at GM. Certainly would inspire more confidence than Ross hiring someone from a team that is winning these days, simply because that team is successful.

15. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    I'm referring to stuff like what CK posted at #87. I'm assuming Giddings knows sensitive information about some organizations or at least more intricate details that would unfairly benefit Miami or any team hiring him. I'd think, in order to avoid any type of lawsuit, he'd have to have X amount of time spent away from the consulting aspect before transitioning to GM.

16. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Well if it's your position that we're most likely seeing the advent of the new incarcerated bob, so be it. He's been active so long that I personally think if he were an incarcerated bob he'd have shown himself by now.

17. Patssuck

Patssuck Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2012
    M.I.A
    I know. I just agreed that he was making ridiculous claims.

18. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    No, Payne very well could very well be accurate here. My point is that if he is accurate, then this is something the NFL would consider a major issue.

19. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I doubt it, personally.

20. UCF FINatic

Apr 17, 2008
    If you can't scout a guy that you are taking in the Top half of the 1st round you aren't worth your weight in salt.

If he asked for a 2nd opinion, I fully expect that most teams in the NFL would have known we were targeting Tannehill. Like playing poker it is never good to show your hand before the draft. If the Browns or Seahawks really wanted Tannehill they would have known we were highly considering him with our pick and could have jumped us.

MrClean likes this.
  21. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I disagree with that as well.

22. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Most definitely, which is why I felt it might pose a serious conflict of interest. Wonder how many times the Patriots have offered him a job. :lol:

23. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    I don't think its a problem. It isn't any different than if Brian Gaine were to become GM of another NFL team.

24. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    IDK, I could see the NFL stepping in and saying he'd first require a year off from consulting.

25. UCF FINatic

Apr 17, 2008
    I really don't think so. His work and scouting ability is produced by him and sold to NFL teams. He would be taking his own talents and abilities here and stop selling them out.

I don't think there would be a legal case against him joining the NFL as a GM. Being that the NFL teams contract with him, it seems more likely that they have an agreement with him to not share his work with other non-paying teams.

26. P h i N s A N i T y

P h i N s A N i T y My Porpoise in Life

Apr 19, 2012
    Treasure Coast, FL
    Hmmmm... wasn't it Carl Peterson who conducted the coaching search ? So this guy claims that Ross bypassed Peterson and Ireland to talk to him ? I guess If Ross is getting an outside opinion i'd fist bump that. Interesting stuff.

27. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    I'm not sure I could compare a guy with recent ties to 1 team to a guy with ties to a few dozen.

28. UCF FINatic

Apr 17, 2008
    They need him. The Patriots, as a whole, do not draft that well.

29. UCF FINatic

Apr 17, 2008
    The trade secrets are his not the NFL's. For the most part he is giving information to teams, not the other way around.

If the NFL didn't let him take a GM job or made him sit out a year or anything like that he would have a HUGE lawsuit on his hands.

30. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Does anyone really actually literally hate Ireland? I know I don't even if I do not agree with all his moves. IMO, the folks who may get labeled as hating him, do not actually, but just think there are better options out there. It just seems to me like those who support him, for the most part, feel the known (Ireland) is better or safer than the unknown (whomever we may get to replace him.)

oakelmpine, dolfan22, Hellion and 5 others like this.
  31. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I couldn't see that at all. The NFL would have zero authority to do that first off. It would purely be a contract issue. He's under contract with a dozen teams for draft evaluation. It's reasonable to expect those contracts to have some sort of non-disclosure clauses. But would they go so far as to become non-compete clauses to where he can't take certain jobs within X number of years of being under contract for player evaluations? No I very much doubt that.

His giving up the consultant gig to work for one team presents no more conflict of interest than is already presented by the fact that he works for a dozen of them. In fact, significantly less.

Stringer Bell and UCF FINatic like this.
  32. UCF FINatic

Apr 17, 2008
    I would expect that he actually has a non-disclosure agreement with NFL teams as well; so that they do not give out his ratings to other teams. I'm sure the NFL teams also have one with him as well. So that if they call about a certain player he couldn't tell other people that this team asked about this player.

33. MrClean

Al Swearengen would be impressed with your wry, sardonic wit and humor. :yes:

cuchulainn and Section126 like this.
  34. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Could Giddings potentially be a candidate to replace Brian Gaine? I know Gaine, for whatever reason, has been a name mentioned with some GM spots in the past.

35. MrClean

That was my first reaction to the OP. Not that Ross may want to hire Giddings to replace Ireland, but to get his opinion on whether Ross should keep Ireland or if there are better choices available.

36. MrClean

37. MrClean

R. Lee Ermey as Gunnery Sgt Hartman in Full Metal Jacket. :yes:

38. UCF FINatic

Apr 17, 2008
    His father. I didn't know it at the time because they have the same name other than the surname (and people can choose to use or not use the surname, at times).

Seems Jr. would help him out from a young age though based on a paragraph in there. And I am sure the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. A good read regardless.

MrClean likes this.
  39. UCF FINatic

Apr 17, 2008
    Honestly, I really don't know if he would take that job. Most Assistant GMs have to change teams to become GMs and they typically don't make much money. I am sure he probably makes close to what Ireland makes right now with his consulting.

40. MrClean

Well, you are just a bad bad man. :tongue2: