1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roth’s days as a Dolphin are numbered

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by ATVZ400, May 12, 2008.

1. ATVZ400

ATVZ400 Senior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    parts unknown, NJ
    Defensive end Matt Roth will probably be a good fit in a situational role for some NFL defense. It just won't be with the Miami Dolphins.

Since arriving in South Florida via Nick Saban’s 2005 draft, the short-armed bull rusher has struggled to find his niche in the Dolphins’ defensive front. The former Iowa standout has had limited success in pass-rushing situations, tallying just 7.5 sacks in three seasons. Roth’s career high of 3.5 sacks came in 2006, and when coupled with three forced fumbles, it represents by far the most productive campaign of his career.

Good read
    link
    http://www.realfootball365.com/index.php/articles/dolphins/11182

2. bkbuffet

bkbuffet Season Ticket Holder

Nov 28, 2007
    Omaha, NE
    I don't think too many people would be surprised by this.
    Thanks for the link.

3. hugoguzman

hugoguzman New Member

Apr 14, 2008
    Agreed, it's definitely not exactly breaking news ; )

I just figured I would delve into the reasons I believe he'll be gone.

4. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    It's too bad, he's a good player. Roth just doesn't fit in a 3-4, I think he'll do well for himself elsewhere... Even if it is a situational pass rusher in the 4-3.

5. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Yeah well, he didnt impress much in the 4-3 either...He actually had quite a bit of talent around him 2 years ago, and still failed miserably.

Dont get me wrong, I was excited when we drafted him, just one of those college kids that doesnt translate well into the next level.

unluckyluciano likes this.
  6. ATVZ400

ATVZ400 Senior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    parts unknown, NJ
    If Roth is not going to work out i hope we can trade him during camp instead of releasing him

texasPHINSfan likes this.
  7. GridIronKing34

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    It's a little too early to say that, don't you think? Two years ago Kevin Carter said that Roth would be the one that would push him out of Miami. Then Carter was cut and Roth was made starter at defensive end. Then what happened? The defense, as a whole, failed miserably. If Roth winds up not cracking the starting line up this year or not making any type of impact for us... then you can say what you wish.

phinfanuk likes this.
  8. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    I look at it this way.

He was a HIGH second round pick
    He is into his 4th year and probably not projected a starter.
    He failed miserably when he had talent around him.
    He failed miserably when he didnt (Didnt step up and add to the talent level)
    He failed in Saban's 4-3
    He failed in Dom's 4-3/3-4
    He doesnt fit the mold of any of the positions he is going to be asked to play.

Aside from that, yeah, I think he's turned out pretty nice .:up:

like2god likes this.
  9. GridIronKing34

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    I really think you're overusing the word failed, but that's just me. Saban ran a 4-3/3-4 which Roth excelled in... He wasn't a starter, but he wasn't expected to be at that moment. Then when Saban left, Roth was expected to be a starter in Capers... Well I have no idea what the hell Capers was running because he seemed clueless throughout the season. When you put Joey Porters hand in the dirt, I blame coordinator more than I do the player. I give Roth one more year until I put the F-bomb on his name.

azfinfanmang likes this.
  10. Frayser

Frayser Barstool Philosopher

Dec 4, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Jeff Darlington suggested the other day that not only would Roth be staying but that he would likely be starting at LDE. He said that Roth is a much better fit in Parcells' 3-4. I don't know if he was stretching a bit or not. I will say that it is a bit too early to criticize the guy considering the way we have not maintained a consistent defensive scheme. Vonnie Holliday went from Pro Bowl-style play one year to being nearly invisible the next.

11. Lee2000

Lee2000 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Pearl, Mississippi
    I have that line for line response:

Q: With the Dolphins adding Randy Starks and drafting two DEs fairly high for the 3-4, will Matt Roth be moved to OLB? It seems we need more depth there and he did play OLB early on at Iowa.

Answered 04/30/08 14:44:58 by Jeff Darlington

A: No, Rudy. The Dolphins actually like Roth at defensive end, and I'm thinking he'll be a likely starter on the left side. Roth fits this 3-4 system a bit better than last year's system, mostly because he has the motor that works well in this scheme. He doesn't have elite size, and his arm length is still an issue, but from what I understand, this team believes his energy and work ethic will help him compensate for the other set backs. We'll see. I'm not sold on Roth just yet, but I was impressed with his off-season training last year. Given this year's program is even more intense, there's a chance he could come back this season even bigger, stronger and faster than any of us anticipate.

Certainly not a consensus on what they will do with him or Solai, or any other player.

Lee2000

PhinsRock and Frayser like this.
  12. calfishman

calfishman Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Apr 27, 2008
    I'm not saying we should keep him just for future value. I'm just wondering what sort of supplemental value we would probably get if Roth was picked up by another team next year after finishing his 4 year contract. Channing Crowder also.

I don't think Parcells likes to let complex things such as suplemental picks cloud his thinking in roster spots. I would think Parcell's would cut or try to trade a player he doesn't see fitting his scheme. But if a player is truly on the bubble but has additional value if kept, that may be enough to keep him on the roster.

13. hugoguzman

hugoguzman New Member

Apr 14, 2008
    Thanks for sharing, Lee!

The only thing I'm going to say is this:

Remember that this coaching staff also talked up Lorenzo Booker to the media, then promptly traded him away. Therefore, I don't put too much stock in statements like "The Dolphins actually like Roth at defensive end."

14. late again

late again Senior Member

Nov 24, 2007
    Yeah, I see Roth as the possible odd man out. I see Holliday starting on one side. With either Rod Wright or one of the rookies starting the other side. Really, I can see Langford winning the job.

15. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

We were (most of us-?) very high on Roth a couple years ago, so I hope he turns into something for us, but I'm not ruling anyone in or out when it comes to this regime. All we can hope for now is either a turnaround or enough to give him some trade value for a reasonable round pick next year.

16. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

ok, bye

17. Kanye West

Kanye West 'Parcells' Guy

Mar 23, 2008
    That would be nice but who would want him and what would we get in return

18. mphins

mphins New Member

Apr 7, 2008
    Kingsport, Tennessee
    If we release him the Pats will try and sign him

19. texasPHINSfan

texasPHINSfan New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    i didn't like the pick when we drafted him. but whatever, it's a learning experience i guess.

20. texasPHINSfan

texasPHINSfan New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    yeah, and knowing our luck he'll probably become a beast up there and get like 12+ sacks in a year.

21. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    A good point, if there is one player on our roster that should move positions it is Roth, he miscast as a NFL defensive end, either as a starter or a role player, IMO they should try standing him up to play LB either ILB or MLB ala Vrabel...

As for the Darlington quote, do not for a second believe a single thing that this Front Office says in public or through back channels, they lie, they will lie constantly, they will lie in the future, do not trust their words...

22. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Even if they were telling the truth I wouldn't count on some of these reporters even getting that right! :D

padre31 likes this.
  23. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts

well...:lol:..not exactly, if the reporter get's it wrong, then they probably will be correct, if the article was "We don't like Roth at DE" then they would be correct....