1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roster bonus payouts (Porter).....

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by finyank13, Feb 3, 2010.

1. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    I heard from a friend recently that roster bonus payouts have to be by or on March 1st. However it is also my understanding you cannot trade anybody until March 5th.

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sport...he-miami-dolphins-purge-bloated-salaries.html

(Even though it doesn't say March 1st in the above link, it does reveal it as in March)

So with that being said in Porter's case do you......

A) cut him outright
    B) pay the 1.2 million on a gamble in hopes you trade him

The Dolphins don't seem like a team to gamble with money like this, I know they give out some big contracts, but this essentially is a gamble. Will Ross shell out that money, in this way, so early on in his ownership tenure? I could understand if Miami is Dallas or Washington, but they aren't. What if they find no takers, and now you have to deal with Porter's instability, or worse cut him and lose that money? Any thoughts, and if anybody can find hard dates, please provide, I cannot seem to find any...

Whitedolphin54 likes this.
  2. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    cut the moron and be done with it
    we need a whole new group of linebackers anyway
    wake is the only one worth keeping and developing
    purge the position
    start with joey

finyank13 likes this.
  3. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Killa-Dilla!! never short with words bro!! If these dates are true, it is pretty much a death sentence for Joey "Sleezy" Porter...who trades for him with this looming??

4. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    exactly. He and his agent knew all this for months now and they knew if Porter wants off the team then this is the time to do it.

There is no trade value for him. We're screwed pretty much no matter what happens.

5. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    I'm fearing the worst on this one.....yet another guy with some trade value, and they wont get anything in return for him....alla Matt Roth...

miamiron likes this.
  6. DolfanCole

DolfanCole Season Ticket Holder

Jan 4, 2008
    Hampton, VA
    The only thing that may work is if a trade is worked out ahead of time, but not finalized until the appropriate date. Although, I'm not sure if this is allowed within the NFL. It happens all the time in baseball and basketball.

7. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    who will work up a trade for an aging linebacker that will be cut
    no one will bite on this

8. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA

he's played his cards well. he's in a very invulnerable spot right now. The good news is that it's only 1.2 mill. That's a huge amount of money to all of us of course but if this regime really wants to ruin the final years of porters career and keep him contractually obligated to us, they could do it.

9. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    the roth thing still grapples my @ss
    a 26 year old linebacker who was being developed into a good player
    and they cut him
    with all the needs we have at the position
    dumb move imo

miamiron and finyank13 like this.
  10. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Such a distraction though, how can he come back after what he said, honestly Wake might bust him in the lip, and guess what!!!! My money is on Wake, he would clown on Porter..!!! Seriously though I cant see the FO wanting to deal with this headache, and if in fact they didnt talk (Tony and JP) after the November suspension, there really isn't a way to make this right...

As well lets say Marshall can be had for a deal that is worth it, wonder if the FO walks on it because of the possibily Marshall could turn into this.....I say screw it get him...he wont *****...he would be the man...

11. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    think they could use him right now??

12. MaddMatt

MaddMatt New Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Miami
    Yeah, the same was said about JT. :)

Bpk and padre31 like this.
  13. DolfanCole

DolfanCole Season Ticket Holder

Jan 4, 2008
    Hampton, VA
    I, personally, don't think anyone would. Just sayin' ...

14. PhinGeneral

PhinGeneral PC Texas A&M, Bro Club Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Swamps of Jersey
    I'm not sure if there's any real trade value with the guy, but trades have been agreed to ahead of time.

DolfanCole and finyank13 like this.
  15. miamiron

miamiron There's always next year

Jan 4, 2008
    One had class and the other is an JACKASS

Bpk likes this.
  16. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Not the way I remember J.T. being referred to. Now that was a tragedy. 50% of the Dolphin fans railing on him.

unluckyluciano likes this.
  17. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Seems we have 2 disgruntled people here.....try some new scenery??

In an interview with radio station WFAN Wednesday, Giants DE Usi Umenyiora insisted he will quit football if he's not starting for the Giants in 2010.

"I'm not going to be a back up player, I can promise you that," Umenyiora said. "I'll stop playing football before I do that ever again. This has been just the worst offseason of my entire life." Umenyiora is still livid over his late-season benching. New coordinator Perry Fewell has already started mending fences, hinted that he sees Umenyiora as a full-time player.

18. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

The date in question, this year happens to be March 5th. It is generally close to March 1st and that is why there are conflicting reports of the actual date.

As to Porter, it's beginning to look like they'll try to trade him before that time and if not he'll be released. I think the damage is done with JP. The issues that got him deactivated this season, the issues before this regime came on board that they gave him a 'flyer' on, and the statements he's made in the press lead me to believe that he's as good as gone right now. Unfortunately, with his bantering in the press, it's unlikely we'll get a trade partner. Most GM's will be smart enough to just let him get cut. Afterall, a trade would be expensive and he just might end up being cheaper in this FA market. He may not think so, but the writing is on the wall to expect him to not get too many suitors at all. In fact, if I was his agent, I'd be running my cell bill off the roof trying to make a trade. If the Fins, as it appears, are going to dump him they'll be likely to take a 6th or 7th rounder just to get something and that would, financially, be the best that he can expect at his age, injury history, excess baggage, etc that he brings to a team right now.

19. Larryfinfan

But JT was coming off a DPOY season, had never had injury issues, had a great attitude and NO excess baggage...the same can't be said for Porter.

However, I do think that JT was wrong in the way he handled things with the Fins after the 2007 season. Perhaps he didn't want to go thru another 'rebuild' but he ended up doing that in Washington anyway.

Bpk likes this.
  20. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

I think it depends on how high a pick we could get for Porter, if I'm Ross (wish I were!) and I spend over $100mil a year on players salaries, the question becomes: how much is a draft pick worth? $1.2 mil might be considered a reasonable price for a 2nd or 3rd round draft pick.

How much would we pay to essentially buy a draft pick?

Bpk and gafinfan like this.
  21. LandShark13

LandShark13 New Member

Oct 20, 2009
    North Miami
    IMHO you keep they guy and try and work out a trade. Right now we (the team) is on shaky ground. By this I mean that their are 52 other players on the team watching to see how the organization handles this. If they just cut him because he's upset then expect other players that would like a new contract or simply want to go to a different team to step forward. Even trading a guy simply because he wants out sits you on some slippery slope. Remember what Denver went through last year? They upset Cutler he wanted to be traded and got traded then Marshell jumped up and screamed at the top of his lungs trade me too!.

Can equate it to not negotiating with terrorist in that if you do you can expect to be held hostage when ever they want something.

I'm not saying you do or don't cut him (although I wouldn't). I'm just saying the team needs to be very careful on how they handle this.

As already posted I would pay the 1.2 Mill Bonus so that I could force anyone who wants him to give me draft picks for him.

Bpk likes this.
  22. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    It's March 5th or so, maybe even March 8th, I chatted with AdamCaplan of Scouts.com last night and he mentioned the 6th of March in re Mike vick having a roster bonus.

Pay JP, then trade him, but if we pay him the bonus we should get a higher draft pick when he is traded as the acquiring team is off the hook for the 1.2 million.

Bpk and finyank13 like this.
  23. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Thanks for the info Pads!! If that's the case I would pay the 1.2 and force a trade with somebody....I'd be nervous that nobody would bite though.....or try like hell to get it done before the bonus is to be paid..

24. Larryfinfan

Rock, are you suggesting that we might get a 2nd or 3th for Joey ?? I don't think so, especially since he's made it known he's not happy with the role Sparano/Nolan has intended for him. He may be worth, on pure skillset, than what we'll get for him, but I doubt we'll be lucky enough to get anything for him. I suspect we'll have to let him go...

finyank13 likes this.
  25. Larryfinfan

What you say makes a lot of sense, except what if you don't get any suitors ?? What do you do then ?? Release him anyway ?? With his biatching and moaning about not taking a reduced role, who'd want him and the baggage he brings ?? Even if some of the issues in his poor play this year were due to a hammy ?? I don't see that we have much choice. Either pay the bonus and expect to lose it later or let him go before the bonus is paid. I don't know that they'll keep him around. This regime has soured on this guy, big time. I don't think he'll be here, one way or the other, come March 5th...take what you can get for him and move on...

LandShark13 likes this.
  26. MaddMatt

MaddMatt New Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Miami
    I would take JT over Porter any day, and twice on Sunday.

Joey wants to be cut. He then can get another signing bonus, and have teams bid on him. If traded, he "only" gets his $5M salary.

If no good deal is worked out by March 5, I pay him the $1.2M, and look for maybe a 3rd rounder, or a conditional pick.

I believe we can get that for a donkey who can talk, and get after the QB. :)

LandShark13 likes this.
  27. MaddMatt

MaddMatt New Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Miami
    Tuna plays poker well. We may risk the $1.2M, knowing we are going to save his $5M salary regardless, and may get a good pick who will cost little. It is a good gamble.

padre31, Bpk and LandShark13 like this.
  28. LandShark13

LandShark13 New Member

Oct 20, 2009
    North Miami

Dolphin fans have had a love/hate relationship with porter thoughout his career. Love when he makes a sack but hate when he runs his mouth. So when he opens up to the media it's really easy for most of us to flip on that hate switch and and just want him gone.

This is a business however and like it or not he is still an asset of the team. Relax by asset I don't mean "a useful and desirable thing or quality" I simply mean he is team property and the team still owns his rights. Porter is the leagues #2 active sack leader. He is one year removed from a 17.5 sack season. Last season he still had 9 sacks all the while nursing a hamstring and missing a game. No other UFA OLB this off season can come close to his production.

Love him or hate him you cannot just let him walk simply because you are upset. Teams will be interested in his services. Some teams perhaps even most of them may want to wait to see what we do with him in march.

we need to put aside our emotions for the time being and treat him as a piece of meat. As already stated by a few people paying 1.2 mill bonus in order to get a decent draft pick for the guy should be a no brainier.

Not only do I want to see us get back some value for him I also want to make sure he is traded outside the division. When he's gone I want him gone I don't want to still hear him run off at the mouth twice sometimes three times a year. I don't want to keep reading about him in the AFC east blogs. I just want him gone! That's the emotional side of me.

Remember the Jason Taylor trade? Taylor missed all of the OTA's and then made it clear he wanted to be traded or released. The F.O. did not have a knee jerk reaction. Instead they held strong until they got true value for Taylor. I expect them to do the same with Porter.

padre31 and Bpk like this.
  29. gafinfan

gafinfan gunner Club Member

My question also as I would love to get that #5 back we gave to KC

JMO of course but I think you are right and some here will be surprised by what we get for Porter; it is after all going to be a non CAP year with different rules and a LOT less player movement quality wise!

30. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    the 1.2 is added onto the 3.6 base he would make I believe, the roster bonus is to be paid by 3/4 (I think) and there is a 200,000 workout bonus....then there is a 3.6 base salary for 2010....

so if we pay the 1.2....if they trade they dont owe him the 3.6 right matt?

31. MaddMatt

MaddMatt New Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Miami
    Yes finyank, his salary is NOT guaranteed, and will be a savings for the team.

32. MaddMatt

MaddMatt New Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Miami
    http://www.askthecommish.com/salarycap/faq.asp

This is a very good read for the basics of the salary cap, CBA, etc.

finyank13 likes this.
  33. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

My personal opinion is that you should always prioritize the most scarce resource... that is draft picks.

More money can be made, but you CANNOT simply 'make' extra draft picks for yourself without trades.

I'd pay him and trade him later.... UNLESS the disruption and distraction was making it unworth keeping him around.

TO be honest, right now I would trade Porter for a 7th round pick to anyone who'd pay it. That's sting his pride, and get us a return on our investment.

he has to be worth a 7th to SOMEONE.

34. Bpk

I am so annoyed we didn;t trade him last offseason. Damit I KNEW he had peaked out and wouldn;t be able to repeat that 2008 season.

We should have sold high!!!!

We could have had a young player from the 3rd or 4th round entering his second year next year. Instead we'll have nothing.

35. Bpk

Seriously. If porter leaves and starts elsewhere, I SERIOUSLY have to say BOOO! to the front office.

For you to let TWO linebackers under contract leave your team and START elsewhere with NO compensation is just terribel, terrible GM-ing.

36. Bpk

You never get good trade value before the draft. Teams are full of hope they'll land magic solutions to their issues in the draft.

So, it'd have to happen not only after the draft, but after teams have had a few weeks of training cam to see how HORRIBLE their hoped-for solutions actually look on an NFL practice field.

That is when teams will be willing to look at Vets like Porter as trade-solutions to holes on their roster, imo. Also, that's when injuries happen in TC and teams need replacement players.

So, if we keep Joey past March 5, 6 8th whatever... it'll be late July/Early August before he is traded, imo.

LandShark13 likes this.
  37. LandShark13

LandShark13 New Member

Oct 20, 2009
    North Miami
    True, It wasn't until training camp started and the Redskins lost a player creating the need that we got good value for Taylor. :up:

38. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    dude I'm with you on all this responses you have....they kept him thinking Miami was going to be serious contenders for back to back AFC East champions