Ross: "We're going to look at everything."

80 replies

CalifinCalifinNew Member
Dec 29, 2013, 08:02 PM

"We're going to look at everything."

Those words are telling.

A recovery group should be available for those experiencing recurring Irish Dementia and/or associated self destructive behaviors.

"God grant me the serenity to accept the GM I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference."

dolfan22dolfan22Supporter
Dec 29, 2013, 08:18 PM

"Disgustipate wrote:

I don't think a lot of that is true, he's done a quote good job at the raw acquisition of talent, and I don't think there's a very good, well-supported argument to the contrary. His roster management is where he's been bad, and it doesn't seem he's proving with experience. The fact that he let more talent walk in the last two off seasons than most guys have to their names is a pretty good illustration of this, for good and bad

We have always had differing views on raw acquisition of talent , you believe being somewhere near the middle is a positive , I don't. I do not believe he is a top tier GM in this area and he isn't . Simply he hasn't done the job , which was the argument years ago , that we could not make a change one , two , three years later there would not be any real growth and there has not been.

brandon27brandon27Supporter
Dec 29, 2013, 08:30 PM

"MrClean wrote:

We traded Marshall and passed on drafting Jeffery to take Martin. Thanks a lot Jeff.

Exactly what I pointed out here:

http://www.thephins.com/forums/showthread.php?80196-Finally-Ireland-will-be-fired!!&p=2253870&viewfull=1#post2253870

Oh what could have been... in so many cases with Ireland drafts. I'm sure alot of the other crappy teams can look back in hindsight and see alot of the same examples... but we needed a WR badly... Instead we went Martin... apparently because Jeff thought he could replace Long which given the reported disagreements between Philbin/Ireland regarding the OL this year seems to have been the case.... Thanks Jeff.

Really hope Ross can see all these examples...


1972 Miami Dolphins-The ONLY undefeated team in NFL history!!!

MonstBlitzMonstBlitzForum Veteran
Dec 29, 2013, 08:37 PM

Ireland is WormTongue:

Kud_IIKud_IIForum Veteran
Dec 29, 2013, 08:46 PM

Look at deez nuts Ross.

Formerly known as IdrA,
formerly known as Kud.

SuperMarksBros.SuperMarksBros.Forum Veteran
Dec 29, 2013, 09:01 PM

Jefflon will never not be our GM. Sigh.

"Best feeling in the world, when I'd call out the play the other team was about to run and see the look on their faces." ---Zach Thomas

ExplosionsInDaSkyExplosionsInDaSkyForum Veteran
Dec 29, 2013, 09:41 PM

"Disgustipate wrote:

I've been OK with firing Ireland for a while now, but I think a lot of people have missed the boat badly on the "why" aspect.

For me it's how he has drafted over the years. Most recently this past draft which is still a big unknown. Not one rookie stepped up and showed anything this year. Dion Jordan was a flat out bust his rookie season and to say otherwise would be denial. I expected a lot more out of him despite playing behind both Vernon and Wake.
Jamar Taylor, Will Davis, Dallas Thomas, Dion Sims...They did nothing for us this year. Michael Thomas and Don Jones were our best rookies. That falls on the guy picking them in the draft in my opinion.
The year before...Jon Martin over a plethora of talent still available (including Alshon Jeffrey). Ireland can't evaluate talent and that is why he needs to go in my opinion. He has given us some hits over the years (Cam Wake, Pouncey, etc) but there have been more misses than hits in my opinion. This past free agency was very exciting but the result was atrocious.

JWjw3102Forum Veteran
Dec 29, 2013, 09:54 PM

"Serpico Jones wrote:

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/2013/12/ross-were-going-to-look-at-everything.html

It is time to stop looking and time to take action.

Mr. Ross,

What you have done in the past five years and the people you have hired to turn this team around hasn't worked. So now it is time to clean house and hopefully hire a competent GM and HC who can come in and lead this team in a new direction. The Dolphins clearly showed the past two weeks that they are far from being a legitimate playoff contender.

Don't be afraid to do what is necessary to bring in the right individuals to rebuild this team. If starting over and rebuilding is what is required to finally get this team on the right track, do it. Mediocrity over the past five years under your ownership just isn't good enough anymore.

NyPhinfanNyPhinfanForum Veteran
Dec 29, 2013, 10:02 PM

"finwin wrote:

ON the shove Smith got into the endzone, I saw Carroll sanding there just watching. Ross needs to watch the tape every week with Philbin, Coyle and Sherman and take each of them to the woodshed for plays like that. NO ACCOUNTABILITY and you get the garbage we got this season.

I say it every week...man I would love to sit in the film room after games. The film never lies and I wonder if these guys are ever held accountable. How can guys like Carroll and Wheeler and Ellerbe watch film and see what we see and not have to answer for any of it?

SamphinSamphinNew Member
Dec 29, 2013, 10:11 PM

This quote was taken way out of context.

"We're going to look at everything," said Dolphins owner, Stephen Ross as he and GM Jeff Ireland held up the adult videos they were seen renting at the local RedBox in front of the old Blockbuster Video where Wayne Huizenga currently lives.

jaymoneyjaymoneyNew Member
Dec 29, 2013, 11:00 PM

Now that makes feel a lot better

MrCleanMrCleanSupporter
Dec 29, 2013, 11:13 PM

"NyPhinfan wrote:

I say it every week...man I would love to sit in the film room after games. The film never lies and I wonder if these guys are ever held accountable. How can guys like Carroll and Wheeler and Ellerbe watch film and see what we see and not have to answer for any of it?

The lack of gang tackling and one guy doing it and the rest standing around seems to be a common theme with this defense.

“... I hope I never ridicule what is wise or good. Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies do divert me, I own, and I laugh at them whenever I can.”

― Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

LarryfinfanLarryfinfanSupporter
Dec 29, 2013, 11:27 PM

"finfansince72 wrote:

I think Ross really bought into Parcells and his nonsense. Maybe its dawning on him that he just helped to fund Parcels fishing/golfing/retirement plans and that he really didn't do anything to help this organization win. I think he bought into Ireland on the advice of Parcells, much like we bought into Wannestadt on the advice of JJ and both were just terrible decisions that set the franchise back the better part of a decade. Hopefully he can see the error of his ways with the entire Parcells mess and moves on.

If he bought into Ireland, it was because of Peterson. Parcels hates Ross and I think it was mutual. I don't see him doing a clean sweep.... I think philbin will be forced to dump half of his offensive staff (Sherman, Turner and Taylor come to mind), and I can't see Coyle very comfortable either.... But, now we just have to wait and see. I am not in favor of a clean sweep, but it probably needs to be done, but likely won't....

LLLloyd HeilbrunnSupporter
Dec 29, 2013, 11:43 PM

Does that include the mirror??

bigbrybigbryNew Member
Dec 29, 2013, 11:46 PM

Ross: "We're going to look at everything."

Who is "We"

PhinFan1968PhinFan1968Supporter
Dec 29, 2013, 11:48 PM

"bigbry wrote:

Who is "We"

"We" is that term executives use to share the onus and portray some semblance of "team"...I hope it really means "I" in this situation.

Brian Flores when asked about tanking: “Again, no we’re not (tanking). We’re going to try to win every game. I think that’s disrespectful to even say that.”

:rimshot:

OnehondoOnehondoSupporter
Dec 29, 2013, 11:49 PM

I guess this was the culmination of Ireland's big off season. The results of his trading up to the 3rd pick in the 1st round to get an impact player. Purging our roster to get impact players. Creating all of that cap room to put us in the position to be a mediocre team. I know its going to be hard to get excited or enthused about this coming off season.

bigbrybigbryNew Member
Dec 29, 2013, 11:50 PM

"PhinFan1968 wrote:

"We" is that term executives use to share the onus and portray some semblance of "team"...I hope it really means "I" in this situation.

Ross is incapable of making a decision on his own.

unifiedtheoryunifiedtheoryLuxury Box
Dec 30, 2013, 12:20 AM

Everyone fired yet?

No?

Carry on.

I'm on Twitter @ut_pez

FIfins4o8Forum Veteran
Dec 30, 2013, 12:29 AM

"jaymoney wrote:

Now that makes feel a lot better

Don't get your hopes up, it could only lead to disappointment.

Eop05Eop05Supporter
Dec 30, 2013, 12:32 AM

IMO if Ross cares about season ticket sales and attendance for at least the first half of next season, he'll have to shake things up significantly. A high profile coach and/or GM may be the only thing that could salvage ticket sales from not dropping to an all time low by a wide margin.

This is why I don't see him staying the course with BOTH Ireland and Philbin

The_Dark_KnightThe_Dark_KnightForum Veteran
Dec 30, 2013, 12:50 AM

Ireland needs to go, Kevin Coyle needs to go, Mike Sherman needs to go!

Ireland, although has brought SOME talent to Miami failed to build a POWERHOUSE of a team during his tenure, but then again when the word's out in the league that the Dolphins' GM asks prospective players whether or not his mother was a prostitute, BIG name players aren't going to want to sign with Miami. Time to let him go.

Coyle was supposed to build a defensive powerhouse, with a front 4 that shut down any run that came up the middle, but instead the Dolphins have been run over by a Mack truck! As a result, mediocre teams like the Jets, like the Bills were able to run the ball all over us.

Sherman in his second year with Tannehill and this offense was supposed to have built an offensive powerhouse that was going to be dominated by a strong running game that was going to help Tannehill with the passing game. Well, the offensive line sucked, not able to block their way out of a wet paper bag, had a dumb high school juvenile bullying scandal that distracted the team and instead of maintaining a BALANCED game plan, Sherman did to Tannehill what Sparano did with Henne, "Here, I want you to throw the ball 40 times a game...yea, yea, yea, we know the defenses know you're going to throw because they won't respect our nonexistent running game, but don't worry about that". Go back and look at the stats. When we ran the ball as many times or more than we threw the ball, we won.

Philbin, I hold him responsible for not keeping the team focused insomuch as not being able to close out a game. The Dolphins never once PLAYED 60 minutes this season.

I hope Ross does what needs to be done and throw out the trash. At least start with Ireland. Then perhaps we can get an offensive line

“The person you will spend the most time with in your life is yourself, so you better make sure you’re someone interesting”

Clark KentClark KentForum Veteran
Dec 30, 2013, 12:52 AM

"Eop05 wrote:

IMO if Ross cares about season ticket sales and attendance for at least the first half of next season, he'll have to shake things up significantly. A high profile coach and/or GM may be the only thing that could salvage ticket sales from not dropping to an all time low by a wide margin.

This is why I don't see him staying the course with BOTH Ireland and Philbin

Hyperbole. We've heard similar things before. I have a hard time taking this kind of stuff seriously. I wish it were true. But people will still buy into the team, if only because they want to believe, like so many of us did this year and so many times before.

Coral ReeferCoral ReeferNew Member
Dec 30, 2013, 01:05 AM

Head Coaches dictate direction and what they'd like to see in the game plan but the Coordinators make the in game calls.
I saw a lot of issues with play calling and adjustments on both sides of the ball.
We have holes on both sides but our roster is not as bad as we played at times.

Both Coyle and Sherman should be removed IMO.

Philbin needs to be given more time.
He overcame a lot this year including a ridiculous scandal and managed to keep the team focused for the most part even though they failed in the end.

Ireland I'm still on the fence about.
He's had his misses but it's not like the guy brings in a bunch of bad players.
It seems to me that not all the players he seems to bring in fit into the overall puzzle and because of that they end up not gelling well if that makes sense.

RIP Jetssuck

Dec 30, 2013, 01:17 AM

I think a big part of the soul searching he has to do is to look at the league hires over the last two years and which ones have worked, which haven't.

2013 Philadelphia Eagles - Chip Kelly*
2013 Arizona Cardinals - Bruce Arians*
2013 Chicago Bears - Marc Trestman*
2013 Buffalo Bills - Doug Marrone*
2013 Kansas City Chiefs - Andy Reid*
2013 San Diego Chargers - Mike McCoy
2013 Cleveland Browns - Rob Chudzinski
2013 Jacksonville Jaguars - Gus Bradley
2013 Indianapolis Colts - Chuck Pagano

2012 St. Louis Rams - Jeff Fisher*
2012 Tampa Bay Bucs - Greg Schiano*
2012 Oakland Raiders - Dennis Allen
2012 Indianapolis Colts - Bruce Arians*
2012 Jacksonville Jaguars - Mike Mularkey*
2012 Miami Dolphins - Joe Philbin

I put asterisks (*) next to the guys that had previous head coach experience at some level prior to coming to the job.

I must explain that for the Indianapolis Colts I consider 2012's hire to actually be Bruce Arians, who coached the team most of that season and actually received NFL Head Coach of the Year honors for the feat. I have the Colts essentially "hiring" Chuck Pagano in 2013, with Arians moving on to Arizona.

What I'm trying to point out with this is that if you look at all these hires, and you average the win totals for 2012 and 2013 of the guys who were hired in 2012 and coached more than one season...then new hires who had previous head coaching experience at SOME level of football averaged 3.4 more wins in the years they coached than their own teams earned in the year prior to them taking over. The guys with no head coaching experience averaged only 0.1 more wins than the year prior to their being hired.

I think it's a mistake to hire a guy as a coach of an NFL team if he's never been a head coach of anything. I think it's just generally not a great practice. It's very risky.

Twitter: @ckparrot
3 Yards Per Carry Podcast - Featuring Boomer, Section126, and ckparrothead
threeyardspercarry.podbean.com